Turn on thread page Beta

Do you use your degree knowledge in your current job? watch

ReputationRep:
    Just a quick survery I guess!

I recently started my first graduate job and although I'm absolutely loving it, I can't help but feel the past 4 years of my degree and all that money feel completely wasted, even though it was the best time of my life.

I studied french and history at uni, now I work with huge amounts of quantative data and spreadsheets. I literally learnt all my knowledge from scratch on the job. I can genuinely say that after a month I haven't even used those 'transferable skills' uni supposedly gives. As I said, I love my job and loved my degree, but I feel like it was so pointless in a way because it was almost too open.

So, how many of you use your degree in your careers? If you do/don't does it bother you at all?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tillytots)
    I studied french and history at uni, now I work with huge amounts of quantative data and spreadsheets. I literally learnt all my knowledge from scratch on the job. I can genuinely say that after a month I haven't even used those 'transferable skills' uni supposedly gives.
    Well, that's no surprise when you study a useless degree and then (unsurprisingly) (have to) work in a completely different field. Pointless post, really.

ReputationRep:
    I do, it wasn't my initial aim though haha. I didn't see my degree subject as a means to get a good job though; I studied what I'd enjoy most as most jobs require any degree subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I literally learnt all my knowledge from scratch on the job
    I can genuinely say that after a month I haven't even used those 'transferable skills' uni supposedly gives
    Those two statements do not necessarily go together. University requires that you process large pieces of complex information and critically analyse that information. If you think that this didn't help you to learn all your knowledge from scratch, then I think you're wrong. Even if your university didn't give you your ability to process and analyse complex information, it proves that you have that ability; it shows that you're pretty clued up.

ReputationRep:
    I don't feel that it is a pointless post especially in light of the increased fees that are now in place.

To answer your question I finished at Uni in 2011 with a degree in Professional Writing. If you want a degree that has transferable skills but little specificity then that is a prime example. I think that is the case with a lot of degrees to be honest.

The way I view it is that my degree got me a place on my internship and from that I got my first paid job and promotion.

As you mention above similarly I use very little of the skills that I developed at Uni but would I have got my first job after without it? Absolutely not. So in response to your initial question I do not believe it to be money wasted? Not at all.

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    Not exactly. I studied Law though and there are so many laws it's bound to be useful, it's just one of those degrees that seems applicable to most things.

History isn't that useful but surely French is? You must be fluent or near fluent? You must've known that there are few jobs that would require degree level History/French...but anyway, these days it's so hard to get a job without a degree that you almost needed that degree just to GET a job. So it's not really wasted. If you wanted to do something with History/French you could keep looking for other jobs while you work?

ReputationRep:
    Sort of, ish.

I use a lot of my experince/skills rather than actual knowledge.

Although working in a students' union I doubt I'd have gotten the job had I not gone to university...

ReputationRep:
    Not knowledge but I guess I've used my ability to write (I did history at Uni) when I was summing up reports.

ReputationRep:
    Nope. Business degree and now work in Computing.

ReputationRep:
    My current job? Not really. I work in asset management (repossessions) and my degree in Law does help me to understand complex property issues quicker compared to my colleagues. Overall though, you don't need a degree for that job. I took it because I needed a job quickly as I was living with my partner and didn't want him to shoulder the finances alone while I looked for a job. I secured that job during my third year exam period!

I am happily leaving that job in 4 weeks however for a career in tax, where ill get study support for ATT/CTA. My law degree will definitely help here, and even my property knowledge will come in handy as a lot of the Clients have buy to let portfolios.

ReputationRep:
    They should just scrap uni and do a load of aptitude tests.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 17, 2015
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.