Turn on thread page Beta

BUDGETING! HOW MUCH do you spend and on WHAT? 2015 watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I found some outdated information on the web that gave some general statistics, but they - like i said - are outdated. Ideally i'd like to get as many replies as possible from a number of different individuals. Hopefully the contributions will help many others too.

Ideas of what to include:
    - The region of the UK that your university is located in (since different areas are likely to influence your spending differently).
    - Weekly spending on food.
    - Weekly spending on alcohol.
    - Weekly spending on entertainment.
    - Monthly spending on toiletries.
    - Monthly spending on your phone/other devices.
    - Monthly spending on laundry.
    - Yearly spending on transport.
    - Yearly spending on clothing.
    - Yearly spending on societies and memberships etc.
    - Yearly spending on Study supplies. i.e. Books, stationary equipment and other such related things.
    - Yearly spending on accommodation. i.e. Rent.

The time frames for the areas of currency expenditure can - of course - be altered to what's more comfortable with your knowledge of your spending. Any and all output would be useful. Let's see how this thread turns out. I plan to contribute at a later date, once I've actually lived in university accommodation and recorded my spending for a while.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by ArtsiomR.)
    I found some outdated information on the web that gave some general statistics, but they - like i said - are outdated. Ideally i'd like to get as many replies as possible from a number of different individuals. Hopefully the contributions will help many others too.

Ideas of what to include:
    - The region of the UK that your university is located in (since different areas are likely to influence your spending differently).
    - Weekly spending on food.
    - Weekly spending on alcohol.
    - Weekly spending on entertainment.
    - Monthly spending on toiletries.
    - Monthly spending on your phone/other devices.
    - Monthly spending on laundry.- Yearly spending on transport.- Yearly spending on clothing.- Yearly spending on societies and memberships etc.- Yearly spending on Study supplies. i.e. Books, stationary equipment and other such related things.

The time frames for the areas of currency expenditure can - of course - be altered to what's more comfortable with your knowledge of your spending. Any and all output would be useful. Let's see how this thread turns out. I plan to contribute at a later date, once I've actually lived in university accommodation and recorded my spending for a while.
    Hello, fantastic idea for a thread!
    I'm just about to start my second year so I will be doing first year/second year spending so you can see how they differ!

Studying at Bishop Grosseteste University in Lincoln about to start my second year.
    - Weekly spending on food.When I first started in first year I aimed to spend around £25 quid on shopping for myself purely. However, as the year went out I started to do a weekly shop with three other people and this took my price to £11 per week for shopping, £20 all together if you count junk food and such that we brought individually. Second year, I'm living with three other people and again, we are all doing the shop together, I have a budget of £25 a week for shopping but still shopping together so it's around £11 again.- Weekly spending on alcohol.During first year... well, now, you see. I spent a lot of alcohol. Not as much as some people because I wised up on spending for alcohol. I never spent outrageous night club prices, I brought drink before head and got drunk before I went out which was around £20 a week on alcohol, if that. Second year, I haven't started going out drinking year but £20 is accurate as usual... maybe a little more this time.- Weekly spending on entertainment.During first year the only money I spent on 'entertainment' was going clubbing on a Tuesday night and this wasn't even every week. It differed some Tuesdays I'd get in free, others I'd be paying £2. However, if you include DVD's and that kind of entertainment, I probably spent below £50 per month.Second year, I haven't really started going out again yet and haven't brought much entertainment wise, I imagine it'll be the same as first year.- Monthly spending on toiletries.During first year, well, toiletries lasted a while as I lived in halls and shared a bathroom. I only ever had to buy toothpast, deodorant, aftershave and shave gels and stuff which largely my parents always kept my stocked up on however, I probably spent around £10 (give or take) on toiletries per month.Second year, again, largely stocked up after my birthday but it'll be around £10 again, give or take a little.- Monthly spending on your phone/other devices.First year: I'd already had a laptop brought for me a while before university for a birthday present so I didn't need that. My phone bill started off at £25 a month which my parents paid for but soon my parents continued paying the £25 and I started paying an extra £20 after I upgraded my phone. I ended up buying an iPad Mini out of my overdraft because I could afford too. Other than that, not much else.Second year, still paying the £20 towards my phone bill and no other expenses in this area.- Monthly spending on laundry.During first year we had a laundry room where we paid to use the machines, I believe one machine was £2.50 and the other £2.00 for washing and drying. Therefore £4.50 and I probably did two washes a month because I always had my mum to do my washing.Second year, I don't pay anything for washing anymore as I live in a rented student house so it's included in our rent.- Yearly spending on transport.First year, I had a car before starting university which I took with me, therefore, I just paid for petrol as of when I needed it. It was £20 here and there and people paid me if they needed lifts places, so, just general car petrol useage prices.Second year, it's the same kind of story however I did have to pay £56 for a parking permit to park outside my house.- Yearly spending on clothing.First year, I never brought a huge amount on clothes. I get a lot for Christmas and Birthdays but if I take my own budget then it's below £100 maybe pushing £200 with birthday and Christmas money.Second year, it's going to be the same story so no change there.- Yearly spending on societies and memberships etc.During first year I never joined any societies and didn't have any memberships to pay for, so, no expenses there.Second year, I am joining the gym which is £25 a month for full use of the gym and swimming pool etc, so, there's that.- Yearly spending on Study supplies. i.e. Books, stationary equipment and other such related things.
    During first year I never really had to buy books and what not because I'm lucky my parents support me so well. Anything education related they buy me, it was probably around £100 for everything I needed.

And then second year, it's the same story all in all.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the detailed info. :-) I suggest to everyone who contributes towards - and views - this thread to make a summary list of each individual's helpful contribution, so that you can then compare and analyse your own situation to everyone else's.

ReputationRep:
    - South East - reading to be precise.
    - about £100-150 depending on how much dominos I get/how lazy I'm feeling
    - depends how much I go to clubs but can vary from £10 to £100, mostly on the lower end
    - average probably about £10
    - I stock up before heading to uni so an insignificant amount which I don't pay for anyway
    - £42/month for phone which parents pay like everything else here
    - probably £8 on laundry a month
    - yearly spending on transport whilst uni is about £30-40
    - clothing yearly probably anywhere from £300 to £700+ depending on what items (you don't buy a coat every year for example)
    - societies about £100 give or take
    - study supplies maybe £30 which is mostly folders anyway
    Also might as well add in accommodation - £6.6k for last year

I'll edit this to include more detail at a later date when im not on my iPad (excuse any grammatical mistakes pls)

ReputationRep:
    You made an excellent point that i failed to include: The accommodation fees. I'll quickly edit it on :-)

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.