The Student Room Group

Which is a more prestigious university- Exeter or Sheffield ?

Just wondering

Scroll to see replies

I think if you are going for prestigiousness as a way of differentiating between universities like Exeter and Sheffield you are on to a losing streak. As an employer I couldn't give a flying monkey as to whether someone studied at either. I would be much more interested in whether I liked the person or if they had relevant experience.

I think as a country we get rather hung up on this idea of a social order. The reality is that if you don't know an earl or a lord, you are probably going to be judged on merit and long live that reality.
Original post by ByEeek
I think if you are going for prestigiousness as a way of differentiating between universities like Exeter and Sheffield you are on to a losing streak. As an employer I couldn't give a flying monkey as to whether someone studied at either. I would be much more interested in whether I liked the person or if they had relevant experience.

I think as a country we get rather hung up on this idea of a social order. The reality is that if you don't know an earl or a lord, you are probably going to be judged on merit and long live that reality.

So the university one attends does not imply merit or lack thereof?
Reply 3
Original post by callum_law
So the university one attends does not imply merit or lack thereof?

It can play a small role, but there's more to a person than the uni they went to.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No. I am suggesting that prestige is not a particularly good way to choose a middle ranking university. Course content, location, feel for the place, cost and a whole heap of other indicators should come first.

If prestige is your main priority, then you are kind of limited to UCL, Cambridge and Oxford in the UK or overseas.
exeter
Original post by ByEeek
No. I am suggesting that prestige is not a particularly good way to choose a middle ranking university. Course content, location, feel for the place, cost and a whole heap of other indicators should come first.

If prestige is your main priority, then you are kind of limited to UCL, Cambridge and Oxford in the UK or overseas.

Middle ranking is a bit harsh? Exeter is 7th in the country. But I get your overall point.
Original post by ByEeek

If you are not familiar with something, please do not presume to think your opinion is valued. There are many prestigious universities in this country, such as Imperial and LSE.

Aston might be middle-ranking, but Exeter and Sheffield are not.
Reply 8
Original post by ByEeek

Exeter is better than that. You're displaying ignorance here

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by studdybuddy101
Middle ranking is a bit harsh? Exeter is 7th in the country. But I get your overall point.

Yes but the fact is that nobody really keeps track of the league tables these days except prestige-obsessed undergraduates/prospective undergraduates. Exeter may be 7th nationally but it doesn't have the name recognition that Oxford, Cambridge or some of the London universities may have so, as far as an employer is concerned, it might as well be a mid-ranked university.
Original post by lachachacha
Just wondering

Exeter - and it's a much nicer place to live :smile:
Original post by Hydeman
Yes but the fact is that nobody really keeps track of the league tables these days except prestige-obsessed undergraduates/prospective undergraduates. Exeter may be 7th nationally but it doesn't have the name recognition that Oxford, Cambridge or some of the London universities may have so, as far as an employer is concerned, it might as well be a mid-ranked university.

Again, someone who doesn't know what they are talking about just guessing.
Original post by justag
Exeter is better than that. You're displaying ignorance here

Posted from TSR Mobile

No - I did my research.

http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/university-subject-rankings/2015/education-training#sorting=rank+region=140+country=208+faculty=+stars=false+search=

Both Exeter and Sheffield are in the top 100 - 150 world universities. Not bad indeed but certainly not outstanding either.

One has to ask why you want to go to a prestigious university. Either it is because you want bragging rights or because you have a preformed opinion that it will provide better prospects and opportunity. I certainly believe that studying at the world's top universities provides the later along with connections to people of influence (if that is your bag), but for anything that isn't right at the top, employers really aren't bothered whether you studied at Manchester, Leeds, Exeter, Sheffield or any other middling red brick university in the country.

We have just hired a chap from the world famous Bolton University. He is awesome!
Reply 13
Original post by ByEeek
No - I did my research.

http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/university-subject-rankings/2015/education-training#sorting=rank+region=140+country=208+faculty=+stars=false+search=

Both Exeter and Sheffield are in the top 100 - 150 world universities. Not bad indeed but certainly not outstanding either.

One has to ask why you want to go to a prestigious university. Either it is because you want bragging rights or because you have a preformed opinion that it will provide better prospects and opportunity. I certainly believe that studying at the world's top universities provides the later along with connections to people of influence (if that is your bag), but for anything that isn't right at the top, employers really aren't bothered whether you studied at Manchester, Leeds, Exeter, Sheffield or any other middling red brick university in the country.

We have just hired a chap from the world famous Bolton University. He is awesome!

I don't doubt your guy from Bolton is good at his job. That's not my point.

In the UK, Exeter is generally seen as better than Sheffield by most people.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by callum_law
Again, someone who doesn't know what they are talking about just guessing.

I'm sorry, I forgot you were the president of the National Council of Employers and Everybody Who Matters. :tongue:

Seriously, what've I said that's wrong? All I've said is that Exeter doesn't have the same name recognition that Oxbridge and some of the London universities have and, unless they keep a fresh copy of the latest league tables on their desks, employers aren't going to know that it's a top 10 university (nationally). Sure, they might know it's a Russell Group university and that could earn you some points but the fact remains that it's just not as recognised as the aforementioned universities. Oxford or Cambridge could drop out of the top 10 and still be highly regarded for purely cultural reasons; the same cannot be said of Exeter.
Original post by ByEeek
No - I did my research.

I completely agree with the underlined. :smile: PRSOM.
Original post by lachachacha
Just wondering

Depends what course you plan on studying.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ByEeek
No - I did my research.

You clearly did not do your research too well. Firstly, you linked last year's rankings and it's education courses only. Secondly, Sheffield is 80th in the most recent overall rankings.

You don't know what you're doing.
Original post by Hydeman
All I've said is that Exeter doesn't have the same name recognition that Oxbridge and some of the London universities have

Your logic here is that because it doesn't have the most name recognition, it doesn't have any meaningful name recognition at all. This is equivalent to saying 7ft in height could not be considered "tall", because that person isn't Robert Wadlow the tallest person to have lived. There exists things in between the tallest and the average, and the most prestigious and the average.
Original post by Hydeman

I agree but I wouldnt call Exeter 'middle'. DMU is middle. And also does it not depend what profession you want to go in? If I wanted to study law, Nottingham and Bristol are considered one of the best and more prestigious than Sheffield. Like there are more people employed from magic circle firms from there than Sheffield and Leeds.

Quick Reply