The Student Room Group

Which is a more prestigious university- Exeter or Sheffield ?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by callum_law
Your logic here is that because it doesn't have the most name recognition, it doesn't have any meaningful name recognition at all.

No, actually. That's what you seem to have decided my logic is; I'm not going to defend a position that you randomly ascribed to me. This is what I actually said, with the key bits underlined for your benefit:

Original post by Hydeman
All I've said is that Exeter doesn't have the same name recognition that Oxbridge and some of the London universities have

I haven't said anything about it not having any meaningful name recognition, as you can see. Well done on the straw man though.

In both my first and second posts, I've merely argued that it's not on par with Oxbridge and the London universities when it comes to name recognition. I didn't say anything about it not having meaningful recognition.

I mean, sure, I'd be happy to concede that an employer looking at two applicants, one of whom is an Exeter graduate and the other a London Met graduate, will know which is the better university. But if you put an Exeter graduate next to graduates of Bristol, Manchester, Sheffield or any other reasonably good university, having gone to Exeter isn't going to give you a substantial advantage over those graduates. This is if the employer doesn't keep track of the league tables. Just thought I'd point that out.

This is equivalent to saying 7ft in height could not be considered "tall", because that person isn't Robert Wadlow the tallest person to have lived. There exists things in between the tallest and the average, and the most prestigious and the average.

Again, I wasn't trying to put down Exeter's reputation at all. I merely said that, to somebody who doesn't look at the league tables, it's not that different from other Russell Group universities with comparable reputations.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by studdybuddy101
I agree but I wouldnt call Exeter 'middle'. DMU is middle. And also does it not depend what profession you want to go in? If I wanted to study law, Nottingham and Bristol are considered one of the best and more prestigious than Sheffield. Like there are more people employed from magic circle firms from there than Sheffield and Leeds.

Yeah, that's a fair point. :smile: Some universities do have better reputations with certain subjects so yeah, it would depend on the subject. That applies at the top as well, I think, where Imperial College London and Cambridge seem to overtake each other every other year in terms of graduate prospects in the more technical subjects like engineering and computer science (although Cambridge has had a lead in the latter category for quite some time, I think).
You clearly did not do your research too well. Firstly, you linked last year's rankings and it's education courses only. Secondly, Sheffield is 80th in the most recent overall rankings.

You don't know what you're doing.

Oh FFS. 80th or 150th who cares? It isn't top 10 and it isn't bottom 10. It's middling.

Do you really think employers study university rankings each year? Simply answer - No.
Original post by justag

In the UK, Exeter is generally seen as better than Sheffield by most people.

Posted from TSR Mobile

By most people? Who are these people. No one I work with would know the difference, nor any of my friends.

I am sure that students have an interest in university rankings but they are about it. Employers tend not care less.
Original post by Hydeman
No, actually. That's what you seem to have decided my logic is; I'm not going to defend a position that you randomly ascribed to me. This is what I actually said, with the key bits underlined for your benefit:

I haven't said anything about it not having any meaningful name recognition, as you can see. Well done on the straw man though

Yet another Internet intellectual whipping out terms like straw man because he thinks it's impressive. :clap2::clap2::clap2:

A straw man you say?

Original post by Hydeman
Yes but the fact is that nobody really keeps track of the league tables these days except prestige-obsessed undergraduates/prospective undergraduates. Exeter may be 7th nationally but it doesn't have the name recognition that Oxford, Cambridge or some of the London universities may have so, as far as an employer is concerned, it might as well be a mid-ranked university.

Seems to fit quite nicely with no meaningful name recognition, which I staw manned you with, doesn't it?
Original post by ByEeek
Oh FFS. 80th or 150th who cares? It isn't top 10 and it isn't bottom 10. It's middling.

It's middling? There are approximately 16,000 universities in the world and Exeter and Sheffield are in the top 160 in the world, which makes universities in that in the top 1% worldwide. You are absolutely clueless if you think that 150th, never mind 80th, is an average position. You really.

Aston is 346th in the world, just to put it in a bit of perspective.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 26
Original post by ByEeek
By most people? Who are these people. No one I work with would know the difference, nor any of my friends.

I am sure that students have an interest in university rankings but they are about it. Employers tend not care less.

By students, academics, UK league tables and high end employers. Mediocre employers aren't the only individuals with opinions, you realise.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's middling? There are approximately 16,000 universities in the world and Exeter and Sheffield are in the top 160 in the world, which makes universities in that in the top 1% worldwide. You are absolutely clueless if you think that 150th, never mind 80th, is an average position. You really.

Aston is 346th in the world, just to put it in a bit of perspective.

Alas I don't wear the place I studied as a penis extension so I am not sure what point you are trying to make.

You continue to miss my point, it being - that in the "real" world, you have Oxbridge and everywhere else. It matters not a jot whether you studied at the top, middle or bottom of everywhere else.

I am sorry if you feel somehow insulted by my calling your establishment middling although I am not quite sure what that says about you.
Original post by justag
By students, academics, UK league tables and high end employers. Mediocre employers aren't the only individuals with opinions, you realise.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Crumbs. You will be saying the best employers look at what your parents do for a living and which school you went to before offering you an interview next.
Reply 29
Original post by ByEeek
Crumbs. You will be saying the best employers look at what your parents do for a living and which school you went to before offering you an interview next.

Nope.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yet another Internet intellectual whipping out terms like straw man because he thinks it's impressive. :clap2::clap2::clap2:

The absolute irony of your post is that you mock me for pointing out a straw man - and then use it yourself by making a presumptuous claim like 'because he thinks it's impressive.'

I'll be quite honest: you're a condescending little tart. I didn't call you out on the straw man because I think it sounds impressive, I called you out on it because that is what it was. As for 'Internet intellectual', what kind of intellectual are you, then, arguing with me on the Internet? Prick.

A straw man you say?

Seems to fit quite nicely with no meaningful name recognition, which I staw manned you with, doesn't it?

Yes, you did. I didn't say 'no meaningful recognition.' You made that up on your incorrect interpretation of what I said and then attacked me for it. Keep challenging that all you like but the fact remains that you made up some bull****, put my name on it, and then attacked me for it. And now you're trying to talk down to me to get past having to admit your mistake.

Honestly, I'm done talking to you. It's very difficult to communicate with somebody with such a large stick up his ass that it's become lodged in his throat.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ByEeek
Alas I don't wear the place I studied as a penis extension so I am not sure what point you are trying to make.

You continue to miss my point, it being - that in the "real" world, you have Oxbridge and everywhere else. It matters not a jot whether you studied at the top, middle or bottom of everywhere else.

I am sorry if you feel somehow insulted by my calling your establishment middling although I am not quite sure what that says about you.

What do you think it says about me? I am insecure about studying at a university which has great grad prospects and is academically rigorous? Wait, no that can't be it.

I am annoyed because people like you bull**** and students on this website actually fall for it, which affects which university they finally decide to select to attend. You might want to tell yourself that you are as appealing as any other non-Oxbridge grad, but that's not necessarily true and you should accept that.
Original post by lachachacha
Just wondering

Original post by ByEeek
I think if you are going for prestigiousness as a way of differentiating between universities like Exeter and Sheffield you are on to a losing streak. As an employer I couldn't give a flying monkey as to whether someone studied at either. I would be much more interested in whether I liked the person or if they had relevant experience.

I think as a country we get rather hung up on this idea of a social order. The reality is that if you don't know an earl or a lord, you are probably going to be judged on merit and long live that reality.

So the university one attends does not imply merit or lack thereof?

Original post by justag
It can play a small role, but there's more to a person than the uni they went to.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by jesuislorenzo
exeter

Original post by studdybuddy101
Middle ranking is a bit harsh? Exeter is 7th in the country. But I get your overall point.

Original post by Hydeman
Yes but the fact is that nobody really keeps track of the league tables these days except prestige-obsessed undergraduates/prospective undergraduates. Exeter may be 7th nationally but it doesn't have the name recognition that Oxford, Cambridge or some of the London universities may have so, as far as an employer is concerned, it might as well be a mid-ranked university.

Original post by Muttley79
Exeter - and it's a much nicer place to live :smile:

Original post by iAre Teh Lejend
Depends what course you plan on studying.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I rather look at the latest rankings!

http://www.theguardian.com/higher-education-network/ng-interactive/2015/sep/15/top-200-universities-in-the-world-the-table?CMP=share_btn_tw
Original post by Hydeman
The absolute irony of your post is that you mock me for pointing out a straw man - and then use it yourself by making a presumptuous claim like 'because he thinks it's impressive.'

I'll be quite honest: you're a condescending little tart. I didn't call you out on the straw man because I think it sounds impressive, I called you out on it because that is what it was. As for 'Internet intellectual', what kind of intellectual are you, then, arguing with me on the Internet? Prick.

Yes, you did. I didn't say 'no meaningful recognition.' You made that up on your incorrect interpretation of what I said and then attacked me for it. Keep challenging that all you like but the fact remains that you made up some bull****, put my name on it, and then attacked me for it. And now you're trying to talk down to me to get past having to admit your mistake.

Honestly, I'm done talking to you. It's very difficult to communicate with somebody with such a large stick up his ass that it's become lodged in his throat.

So you state twice that what I said was an incorrect interpretation (and by extension a straw man), but you don't explain why it's a straw man. Again, an Internet intellectual. It feels nice to put down these terms you've learn off Wikipedia, but when it comes to actually forming an argument, you scatter away.

I most assuredly did not produce a straw man to dismiss your argument about straw man. I said you are an Internet intellectual, but I did not dismiss the quality of your argument with that; I dismissed the quality of it by citing your own words which proved my point. You might want to try rereading the Wikipedia article on straw man arguments.

Thanks.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 34
outside of TSR and people who went to one of them literally no one is going to care if you went to one or the other

Rankings, like School League tables are very flawed. They don't look at individual courses ...

Even my best friend, who lives in Sheffield, doesn't recommend living there!

I am annoyed because people like you bull**** and students on this website actually fall for it, which affects which university they finally decide to select to attend. You might want to tell yourself that you are as appealing as any other non-Oxbridge grad, but that's not necessarily true and you should accept that.

Well, that is a shame. My advice to the OP was to not worry to much about prestige, especially given we are talking about Exeter or Sheffield. Are you suggesting otherwise? Are you suggesting that prestige is much more important than course content for example or whether you might actually enjoy yourself whilst studying?
Reply 37
So you state twice that what I said was an incorrect interpretation (and by extension a straw man), but you don't explain why it's a straw man. Again, an Internet intellectual. It feels nice to put down these terms you've learn off Wikipedia, but when it comes to actually forming an argument, you scatter away.

I most assuredly did not produce a straw man to dismiss your argument about straw man. I said you are an Internet intellectual, but I did not dismiss the quality of your argument with that; I dismissed the quality of it by citing your own words which proved my point. You might want to try rereading the Wikipedia article on straw man arguments.

Thanks.

This is hilarious.

So which rankings am I supposed to go by?
Original post by Ahem-
This is hilarious.

I suggest going by the course content and whether you'd be happy living and studying there for three or more years. Between these particular universities, there's no substanial difference. but for universities in general, the world rankings might be a better idea for which universities are the best ones. But again: there's no point going to Cambridge if you hate studying at the pace that they teach at over there.
Original post by Ahem-
This is hilarious.

Go by the domestic rankings as they are actually designed for UG. That said, none of them are completely accurate and I'd avoid the Guardian.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending