Turn on thread page Beta

What would happen if we removed all benefits? watch

ReputationRep:
    What would happen if we removed all benefits with a deadline of six to twelve months?

Would there be more homeless people?
    Would we start to adopt the South Asian custom of families living together?
    Would people start letting people live in empty rooms in their homes for free?
    Would charitable donations cover the previous benefits system (or some of it)?

I don't think this should happen, but I want to know what people think would happen in this hypothetical situation, because I know some will believe it will lead to death and homelessness, whereas others will believe charities will take up the mantel and people will be forced to find some form of work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lady Comstock)
    I don't know about the rest, but this wouldn't happen.

ReputationRep:
    If society were hypothetically stripped of all benefits, I do think there would be more homelessness and more poverty and more crime, and more blatant political and police corruption. Benefits were made to assuage people already doomed to this lifestyle anyway. What separates the western civilisation from other countries is the government recognising human rights and establishing programs that dole out help to those who need it for whatever reason, as opposed to ignoring children banging on car windows for bit change and mothers begging on the streets with their kids running around barefoot playing with sticks. Like Nepal.

ReputationRep:
    Many people would die off and there would actually be a shortage of cleaners/retail workers.

ReputationRep:
    Too many people will die...

Spoiler:
    Show
    Looks for bigger font size!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    You'd see a large increase in homelessness. I wouldn't be able to afford to live in the house I'm currently living in. I'd probably expect more people to turn to crime to get enough money to put food on the table. Saying that it would force people to get jobs presupposes that people on benefits aren't actively looking for jobs, or that there are actually enough jobs to go round, or that it's actually a good thing for there not to be any unemployed people.

ReputationRep:
    What would happen if we removed all benefits with a deadline of six to twelve months?

I don't think this should happen, but I want to know what people think would happen in this hypothetical situation, because I know some will believe it will lead to death and homelessness, whereas others will believe charities will take up the mantel and people will be forced to find some form of work.
    The myth that charity will cover all provision for the poor is just a Libertarian pipe dream.

We have had a increase of 510% per year in Food Banks since 2010. When New Labour where in Government the increase year on year was only 60%. So the Tories have increased poverty by 8.5 times per year than New Labour. This is serious.

If you removed all welfare you would get riots and looting. You need to remember that we now live in a time where inequality is at Victorian levels.

If you are rich and want to abolish all welfare then you are sowing the seeds for your own destruction.

ReputationRep:
    Does your suggested plan include pensions? Because they make up 47% of welfare spending.

ReputationRep:
    Death, homelessness and a revolution

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illegaltobepoor)
    The myth that charity will cover all provision for the poor is just a Libertarian pipe dream.

We have had a increase of 510% per year in Food Banks since 2010. When New Labour where in Government the increase year on year was only 60%. So the Tories have increased poverty by 8.5 times per year than New Labour. This is serious.

If you removed all welfare you would get riots and looting. You need to remember that we now live in a time where inequality is at Victorian levels.

If you are rich and want to abolish all welfare then you are sowing the seeds for your own destruction.
    Figures to show a 510% increase in food bank usage per year for each of the last 5 years please

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmallTownGirl)
    Does your suggested plan include pensions? Because they make up 47% of welfare spending.
    Don't forget disability, tax credits and child benefit too.

Jsa I believe is only about 2% of the welfare bill

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Indeed, just look at the French revolution.
    It definitely wouldn't end well for anyone who wouldn't be affected by it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paul514)
    Don't forget disability, tax credits and child benefit too.

Jsa I believe is only about 2% of the welfare bill

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I know. But a lot of people who hate benefits (even for those with disabilities that preventing them working) are seriously defensive about pensions.

ReputationRep:
    People are dumb

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Homelessness would obviously increase. Houses will be cramped. A lot of people will look for any type of income eg a legit job. Crime rates will soar = overcrowded prisons

ReputationRep:
    The Victorian poor had no welfare system to fall back on, and they managed well enough without rioting or looting. At least towards the end of the century, the situation of the urban poor was no worse than it is now. What's different today?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Where exactly would people find "some form of work"?

They say it's benefit claimants who don't live in the real world but I'm not so sure

ReputationRep:
    Maybe some of the people who are posting outrage on facebook about the fact that former servicemen and women are sleeping homeless in the streets would be willing to get off their backsides and show some charity to them by inviting one of them in to their own homes rather than calling for other people to pay for them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    Maybe some of the people who are posting outrage on facebook about the fact that former servicemen and women are sleeping homeless in the streets would be willing to get off their backsides and show some charity to them by inviting one of them in to their own homes rather than calling for other people to pay for them.
    If I was a homeless former serviceman the last thing I would want to have to do would be to rely on the grace and favour of strangers, which can be withdrawn in a moment on a mere whim and is not provided based on need. We worked this out as a country over a hundred years ago and founded the welfare state.

If you saw some of the bull**** charities Brits donate to like dog and cat charities over serious disease ones you would quickly drop this idiocy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manitude)
    You'd see a large increase in homelessness. I wouldn't be able to afford to live in the house I'm currently living in. I'd probably expect more people to turn to crime to get enough money to put food on the table. Saying that it would force people to get jobs presupposes that people on benefits aren't actively looking for jobs, or that there are actually enough jobs to go round, or that it's actually a good thing for there not to be any unemployed people.
    Which it isn't. Natural rate of unemployment.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.