The Student Room Group

Failed an exam, potentially being kicked out

Hey all, could use some advice here. I've had some rough health issues whilst at university (Bristol uni) and struggled a lot and now I've had my resit transcript back which says I've failed and will be granted an undergraduate diploma.

Basically I have had chronic undiagnosed health problems for about 6 years since before I started uni. Heres what happened:

2012 (1st year): struggled through, missed many lectures but passed
2013 (2nd year): same situation, except before my end of year exams I got terribly ill.
March 2014: Contacted my tutor and told him I was no longer able to attend, filed medical evidence. Stayed at home going to hospital appointments etc until my problems were a lot better.
Feb 2015: rejoined in the year below, passed my summer exams but missed one exam and filed medical evidence.
Present: sat the missed exam and failed badly (cocked up and only managed 30%). Transcript comes back saying I've failed altogether and I'm being kicked out.

So essentially I passed all but 1 module, failed the last one in the resit period but as a first attempt. I contacted my tutor who said he cannot help as he is on sabbatical and no longer with the university. Contacted another member of department who said my medical leave was not correctly filed by the department thus my repeat year counted as failing and resitting and only 1 resit year is allowed.

This is all obviously really unfair but I have no idea what to do or say as my situation has become very complicated and I don't even know who I need to talk to this about. Obviously would be gutted to be kicked out and left £50k in debt with nothing to show due to health problems.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
If they've actually told you that your medical leave was not correctly filed by the department then surely that's grounds to make an appeal? If you failed it as a first attempt then you should be allowed another attempt. Unless I'm missing something the university can't just kick you out for failing when you haven't exhausted all your allowed attempts.
Reply 2
you should appeal in the formal way
God bless you man, wish u all the best

Quick Reply

Latest