Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hey guys i need help.I am starting my second year MPharm this year. I've always been interested to study Medicine since O-level but I didn't get the A-level grades (BBC in Maths,Chem and Bio respectively) so I got into Pharmacy School instead. I did consider a gap year but I was really scared that I will get the same grades. So I thought that I should keep an open mind to it and maybe I will enjoy Pharmacy cause who knows right I haven't tried the course. Then I realized that I still want to do medicine. I plan to apply for Graduate entry medicine right after 4 years of MPharm and skip the pre-registration year. Personally, I don't think I should do the pre-registration training as I really want to apply for GEM after the 4 years and maybe gain more work experience (volunteer, part-time jobs) throughout the remaining 3 years. So do you this this is possible (not doing the pre-reg)? Will I stand a chance? I know GEM route is more competitive but I really didn't want to take a gap year as I wanted a fresh start but just realized that I still want to do medicine. I chose pharmacy over other life sciences cause I enjoy chemistry and I want to know more about drugs. Guide me please

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pharmgirl27)
    hey guys i need help.I am starting my second year MPharm this year. I've always been interested to study Medicine since O-level but I didn't get the A-level grades (BBC in Maths,Chem and Bio respectively) so I got into Pharmacy School instead. I did consider a gap year but I was really scared that I will get the same grades. So I thought that I should keep an open mind to it and maybe I will enjoy Pharmacy cause who knows right I haven't tried the course. Then I realized that I still want to do medicine. I plan to apply for Graduate entry medicine right after 4 years of MPharm and skip the pre-registration year. Personally, I don't think I should do the pre-registration training as I really want to apply for GEM after the 4 years and maybe gain more work experience (volunteer, part-time jobs) throughout the remaining 3 years. So do you this this is possible (not doing the pre-reg)? Will I stand a chance? I know GEM route is more competitive but I really didn't want to take a gap year as I wanted a fresh start but just realized that I still want to do medicine. I chose pharmacy over other life sciences cause I enjoy chemistry and I want to know more about drugs. Guide me please
    It's always good to research everything early, but your situation is just a bit tricky. If you didn't start your pharmacy course, I would of said to not go through with it but instead retake your exams and apply to medicine through a foundation routd. Since you're in your second year pharmacy I would tell you to wait till you finish your 4 years because right now it might feel like you definitely want to go and do medicine but usually where people get to the end of their course their interests, choices in life changes. By the end of the pharmacy course there's a chance you might not want to go through another 5-6 years of life doing medicine and be happy with pharmacy. My best advice to you is to complete pharmacy properly and do the pre reg so you have like a degree/job in your pocket so after 5 years if you still want to do medicine and that plans doesn't go to well you have a good back up plan. Just don't make any rash decision, because it's definitely not impossible but it all comes down to if you have the same motivations and interest to do medicine at the end of the pharmacy course.

Good luck with everything!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you Nora for the advice! Yes I think I should finish the MPharm and let's see what happens after. 😁

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pharmgirl27)
    To be honest, it would be rather silly to complete the MPharm and then not do the pre-reg year. If you really don't want to do pharmacy, why not leave at the end of 3rd year with a BSc in Pharmaceutical Studies (or whatever the equivalent at your uni is) and then apply to medicine?

If you do your pre-reg year (and of course pass the registration assessment at the end of it), you can work as a locum pharmacist whilst at medical school during summer holidays and the odd weekend if/when you need the cash.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 18, 2015

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.