The Student Room Group

Pledge Fund For A New Server

Well, Clearly its about time that this site had a new server.

I'm not a paying member but after reading all the posts i think its about time i start donating some cash)

This thread is for you to help the process. I'd just like you to think of all the times that you have sought help from others....people/mods give up there own time to help you out. It's not as though i am asking for £5 per month. just a one-off payment of say £5...if 100 people get involded (seeing as it has well over 400 active using most nights it will go a long way)

As soon as my exams are over i will donate £10.

If you would like to help out (to make the UKL experience better for EVERYONE) please post to say how much you are willing to donate towards a new server.

DONT POST TO TALK/DISCUSS. If you are WILLING to donate money please post and state how much... PLEASE DONT PLEDGE IF YOUR NOT GOING TO PAY UP!

We can then keep a running total...

Balance £10.00

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
i am in full support of this project.
Reply 2
Why not just become a subsribed member it costs £5 a month. Also I am sure D makes plenty of money from advertising renue. I do agree a new hosting company may be a good idea.
Reply 3
amazingtrade
Why not just become a subsribed member it costs £5 a month. Also I am sure D makes plenty of money from advertising renue. I do agree a new hosting company may be a good idea.

the point of this is so all the money goes on the SERVER, rather than other overheads UKL might have.
Reply 4
endorf
i am in full support of this project.

So why don't you subscribe?
Reply 5
I will suscribe for 2 months, or donate £10 which ever one is better. i dont think the current suscribers want their threads being taken over though!
Reply 6
chats
I will suscribe for 2 months, or donate £10 which ever one is better. i dont think the current suscribers want their threads being taken over though!

I think is an alternative to subscribing as all the money goes to the server....Then you know what your money is doing for the UKL society. (Not saying that subscribing means you dont know where your money goes)
Reply 7
What do you think all the adverts a for? This forum is run by a LTD company and is an advertising tool for the companies other businesses. The company who runs it is not a registered charity therefor cannot apcept donations. Also buying a server isn't an issue, neither is upgrading the server as this has been done at least twice since Decemeber and the problem still remains. I think a change of hosting comapny may be what is required.

I will happily support UKL buy extra subsriber services but donating money to a company that supplies course work is somthing totaly different.
amazingtrade
What do you think all the adverts a for? This forum is run by a LTD company and is an advertising tool for the companies other businesses. The company who runs it is not a registered charity therefor cannot apcept donations. Also buying a server isn't an issue, neither is upgrading the server as this has been done at least twice since Decemeber and the problem still remains. I think a change of hosting comapny may be what is required.

I will happily support UKL buy extra subsriber services but donating money to a company that supplies course work is somthing totaly different.

We could raise the £60,000 d wanted for the forum, and do a user buy-out. We could then recoup the losses through smaller subscription fees encouraging more subscribers, as well as merchandise and maybe events. :smile:
oh ppl could like make donations!
Reply 10
Pixelfairy #1
We could raise the £60,000 d wanted for the forum, and do a user buy-out. We could then recoup the losses through smaller subscription fees encouraging more subscribers, as well as merchandise and maybe events. :smile:

that would be superb. but 60,000 is hard!
Reply 11
posh&loaded_lib
oh ppl could like make donations!
Like subscribing for instance?
chats
that would be superb. but 60,000 is hard!

how much do u love ukl :wink:
Reply 13
Daveo
Like subscribing for instance?

she was dropped on her head when she was very small :tongue:
Or... we could start a rival forum that's better than UKL (I know I'm not sure its possible either :rolleyes: ), and everyone could join that. The people who run the forum could then recoup the losses by organising teams to work on projects, with fundraising goals. If it was registered as a charity, then you would be exempt from tax, and you would also get 28% of the £5 subscription back from the government extra each month :biggrin:

Anyone want to join me? :biggrin:
Reply 15
Pixelfairy #1
how much do u love ukl :wink:

how many members are there? if they all paid 2 pound each we could get to £60,000.
actually around half of them prob dont come on here anymore, another 1/4 would be stingy. i say 1000 people would make a donation, maybe? that means £60 each which is a bit too much
chats
how many members are there? if they all paid 2 pound each we could get to £60,000.
actually around half of them prob dont come on here anymore, another 1/4 would be stingy. i say 1000 people would make a donation, maybe? that means £60 each which is a bit too much.

I was thinking that more over the longterm, we could have UKL meetings, parties etc where we can meet up and discuss things as well as having fun :tongue:

Also, we could have merchandise, and hold events which get other people to pay us... all in the aim of helping students of course :biggrin:
Reply 17
Pixelfairy #1
I was thinking that more over the longterm, we could have UKL meetings, parties etc where we can meet up and discuss things as well as having fun :tongue:

Also, we could have merchandise, and hold events which get other people to pay us... all in the aim of helping students of course :biggrin:

there would be too many arguments about where to hold the parties meetings. lol everyones always arguing
chats
there would be too many arguments about where to hold the parties meetings. lol everyones always arguing

We would have a UKL leadership group. It would be more a society than a forum. If you paid and subscribed you would get invited to special'subscription only' events and also get newsletters and pens by post :tongue:
piginapoke
If you register as a charity its possible (in fact quite easy) to get lottery funding as long as its a good cause...

It is for a good cause :smile:

We should discuss the precise details and form an action plan :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending