Pledge Fund For A New Server Watch

This discussion is closed.
Pixelfairy #1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
So what do you think the problem is then?
It's either of 2 things:

- VB
- The database used
amexblack
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Pixelfairy #1)
It's either of 2 things:

- VB
- The database used
Or maybe the computer that's running it is simply not powerful enough (whether that's the amount of memory, speed of CPU, speed of HDs .. I have no clue).
Pixelfairy #1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by amexblack)
Or maybe the computer that's running it is simply not powerful enough (whether that's the amount of memory, speed of CPU, speed of HDs .. I have no clue).
Sorry You're right it is a server problem:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/archi...ex.php/t-23128
Chocolate_Lover
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i will give £20
Pixelfairy #1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Chocolate_Lover)
i will give £20
To the buy-out fund?
Pixelfairy #1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by piginapoke)
I wonder how much is to do with mySQL, vis a vis how scalable is it? Maybe its just running inefficiently, after all the database must be getting monstrously big. Suspect a DBA would be able to tweak some things to make it more efficient, do rackspace handle this or does it need personal attention?
I think you have to do that manually... they just deal with the technical aspects.

But mysql can handle a lot... and for $160 the VBulliten software should work
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I think you have to do that manually... they just deal with the technical aspects.

But mysql can handle a lot... and for $160 the VBulliten software should work
Yeah my tutor told me it was 100,000 stimulatianious(sp) connections MySQL can handle!
Pixelfairy #1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Yeah my tutor told me it was 100,000 stimulatianious(sp) connections MySQL can handle!
Yeah thats a lot

And to think rubbish databases in Access crash after 60,000 records :rolleyes:

Just out of interest, is there a limit on database size?
amexblack
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by piginapoke)
I wonder how much is to do with mySQL, vis a vis how scalable is it? Maybe its just running inefficiently, after all the database must be getting monstrously big. Suspect a DBA would be able to tweak some things to make it more efficient, do rackspace handle this or does it need personal attention?
No, you'd be able to get one of their techs to have a look if you want. You'd have to pay them extra per hour though.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Yeah thats a lot

And to think rubbish databases in Access crash after 60,000 records :rolleyes:

Just out of interest, is there a limit on database size?
Yep Access can handle apparantly (for web use) 1000 connections at a given time! I know on some hosting companies there is database limits. However if it has running out space wouldn't the entrie thing just crash?
John Paul Jones
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i've give moral support
Pixelfairy #1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Yep Access can handle apparantly (for web use) 1000 connections at a given time! I know on some hosting companies there is database limits. However if it has running out space wouldn't the entrie thing just crash?
That's what I thought and it vBulliten would have been designed to handle that. I just wondered for personal interest

It's clearly a server spec problem... Is the server being shared with d's other sites?
amexblack
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Is the server being shared with d's other sites?
to some extent, but I hardly think delingpole.co.uk is using up many resources :P

EDIT: actually, all the agora sites are hosted on the same computer: agora-networks.com, car-agora.com, fashion-agora.com etc.. But they aren't really popular.
glance
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I have no money, only my love. Will that do?
Pixelfairy #1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
to some extent, but I hardly think delingpole.co.uk is using up many resources :P

EDIT: actually, all the agora sites are hosted on the same computer: agora-networks.com, car-agora.com, fashion-agora.com etc.. But they aren't really popular.
Does d make any money from his other sites :rolleyes:
loftx
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I think you guys are thinking about the optimal figures rather than what happens in the real world. I've heard forums powered by mysql can handle around 1000 concurrent connections, and using access you won't get more than 100.

Check out this for some interesting theory.
amexblack
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Does d make any money from his other sites :rolleyes:
I expect he makes a tidy sum from Coursework Help, University Essays and Personal Statements.

Take Coursework.info - there are over 49,000 members. To become a member you either pay a tenner a month, or submit three pieces of your own work. I imagine a fair fraction of those 49,000 have paid d a tenner (and perhaps continue to pay each month). And I thought Cambridge didnt' allow its students to be employed
Pixelfairy #1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by loftx)
Check out this for some interesting theory.
Nice theory Makes my 1&1 hosting look pathetic :rolleyes:
Pixelfairy #1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I expect he makes a tidy sum from Coursework Help, University Essays and Personal Statements.

Take Coursework.info - there are over 49,000 members. To become a member you either pay a tenner a month, or submit three pieces of your own work. I imagine a fair fraction of those 49,000 have paid d a tenner (and perhaps continue to pay each month). And I thought Cambridge didnt' allow its students to be employed
Shouldn't that mean that, if its hosted on the same server as UKL that there's enough money to cover both? 10 * 25,000 (only half the members pay for only 1 month) is £250,000.... a huge amount of money
amexblack
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Shouldn't that mean that, if its hosted on the same server as UKL that there's enough money to cover both? 10 * 25,000 (only half the members pay for only 1 month) is £250,000.... a huge amount of money
Quite, although one has to consider costs. Nevertheless, I expect d is very wealthy for student standards. The sites aren't hosted on the same machine. There isn't a huge incentive to spend his profits from his money-making site on something like UKL, which probably loses money (although is good publicity for his other sites).
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1623)
79.13%
Leave (428)
20.87%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise