Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Pledge Fund For A New Server watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amexblack)
    Quite, although one has to consider costs. Nevertheless, I expect d is very wealthy for student standards. The sites aren't hosted on the same machine. There isn't a huge incentive to spend his profits from his money-making site on something like UKL, which probably loses money (although is good publicity for his other sites).
    Yeah but hes got 18,000 members... thats a vast student population which is worth a fortune, and just look at the UKL post count

I suspect UKL generates more traffic than you think... maybe its just d's exploiting it in a very subconcious, hidden way

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    Either vBulletin is badly designed or mySQL is a marvel of technology. No way do you want 1000 or more concurrent connections. They cause too much overhead. Even on commercial servers I've seen in industry (way beyond any of these essentially PC-based servers) that many connections would be unthinkable.

Simple connection pooling would reduce the server load no end, I guarantee that.
    ooops i think possibly i meant concurrent users rather than connections

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chud)

DONT POST TO TALK/DISCUSS. If you are WILLING to donate money please post and state how much... PLEASE DONT PLEDGE IF YOUR NOT GOING TO PAY UP!

We can then keep a running total...

Balance £10.00
    :rolleyes:

nice to know the thread rules are being followed, how much have we got togtehr then?

ReputationRep:
    Where do we send/give this money to anyway?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fly By)
    :rolleyes:

nice to know the thread rules are being followed, how much have we got togtehr then?
    I have already donated £5 for being a subscriber and will donate a bit more after nursing my bank balance back to health after the ball. I think it would be nice if d posted a bit in the subscribers forum just to let us know how much he appreciates it - either that or he is too drunk from his newfound wealth...

ReputationRep:
    I might take a bit from the load of the server and mirror the Subscribers forum on my server

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pixelfairy #1)
    To the buy-out fund?

for a new server

ReputationRep:
    Either d has set the server load limit too low or the server is just not quite up to the job.

VB and mySQl are solid

ReputationRep:
    Again, as with the subscriptions, the issue is payment method, as i haven't been able to get access to a credit card or anything yet.
    Damn apathy!

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.