Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi I am thinking of applying for Paramedic Science and Operating Department Practitioner course. Both interest me one being a dream for the last few years and the other being a more practical choice due to family commitments and stemming from myself working within the operating theatres as a healthcare support worker for the last two years. My problem is how do I get across my desire to do both effectively and has anyone had any experience of this? I'm just wondering if having two choices would it hinder me at all as most candidates might have a rigid choice and can demonstrate their desire to do the course possibly better from having once choice. Help!
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by eclecticfemale)
    Hi I am thinking of applying for Paramedic Science and Operating Department Practitioner course. Both interest me one being a dream for the last few years and the other being a more practical choice due to family commitments and stemming from myself working within the operating theatres as a healthcare support worker for the last two years. My problem is how do I get across my desire to do both effectively and has anyone had any experience of this? I'm just wondering if having two choices would it hinder me at all as most candidates might have a rigid choice and can demonstrate their desire to do the course possibly better from having once choice. Help!
    For both these subjects universities are able to fill their places with applicants who are 100% dedicated to that specific course/career.

Unfortunately if you apply to either with a PS that doesn't make if explicitly clear you're 100% committed then you're very likely to be rejected.

You've still got plenty of time to decide whether to follow your heart or your head (the deadline for applications is January 15th and there is NOTHING wrong with applying on or near the deadline as long as you're prepared and using the time to make a good decision). I'd suggest you write a PS for both courses....you'll likely find that one is a lot easier to write for than the other and that should help you to decide.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eclecticfemale)
    Don't apply for both. Decide whether you want to go for your dream or the more practical choice and then write a personal statement. If you base your personal statement on 2 courses then it looks like you can't decide what you want to do. It also looks like you're not passionate enough about one.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    You need to show 100% commitment to your chosen health profession, applying to two different ones will just get you 5 rejections so take a good few weeks of reflecting and more research to make a more informed decision.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much for responding guys and the advice. I think I'm going to take heed and do further research into both roles and also take into account my family commitments in making my decision. Thank you and i like the idea of writing two seperate PS for the two courses and seeing which one stems out easier to write. Thank you ☺

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.