Turn on thread page Beta

Military Service With heart Surgery watch

ReputationRep:
    okay, the title sounds worse than what it is but here it goes! Okay, so im almost 20 and im a part of the University Royal Naval Unit and im just finishing my degree. I want to go into the navy. However, i was born with TGA (arteries around the wrong way...).

After a WEEK OLD I had surgery to correct this. 20 years later and after a check-up every year by the doctor i seem fine; 'if something was to go wrong, it would have done so long ago' Are his words in a recent medical report.

I haven't taken any medication at all, it hasn't affected me physically in anyway as i've passed all the RN fitness tests. However I fear I'll be rejected just on principle that i've had the surgery and disregarding the fact i was a week old ect.

If anyone can help with this I'd really appreciate it, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jar1995)
    okay, the title sounds worse than what it is but here it goes! Okay, so im almost 20 and im a part of the University Royal Naval Unit and im just finishing my degree. I want to go into the navy. However, i was born with TGA (arteries around the wrong way...).

After a WEEK OLD I had surgery to correct this. 20 years later and after a check-up every year by the doctor i seem fine; 'if something was to go wrong, it would have done so long ago' Are his words in a recent medical report.

I haven't taken any medication at all, it hasn't affected me physically in anyway as i've passed all the RN fitness tests. However I fear I'll be rejected just on principle that i've had the surgery and disregarding the fact i was a week old ect.

If anyone can help with this I'd really appreciate it, thanks!
    Nobody here can say definitively - only the RN medical board can.

I found this which details some of the things that the RAF considers a bar to service. The RN would be broadly similar.

But again, the RN are the only people who can say - no-one here can.

You're already in the best place to get an answer. And I don't mean TSR. Go talk to your boss at the URNU, get them to contact people in the careers chain and get you the actual answers.

ReputationRep:
    You might have only been a week old, but TGA is a significant abnormality and your operation was a major one. Depending on what you had done (the standard operation for this has changed over the years) your cardiac anatomy might well still not be "normal" and although it doesn't affect you in daily life, I doubt your cardiologist could guarantee that your heart would still function adequately under extreme stress/at altitude/at depth. The list Drewski gave you rules out a couple of similarly major congenital defects so unfortunately there is a reasonable chance they also wouldn't accept you. Best of luck with it though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    You might have only been a week old, but TGA is a significant abnormality and your operation was a major one. Depending on what you had done (the standard operation for this has changed over the years) your cardiac anatomy might well still not be "normal" and although it doesn't affect you in daily life, I doubt your cardiologist could guarantee that your heart would still function adequately under extreme stress/at altitude/at depth. The list Drewski gave you rules out a couple of similarly major congenital defects so unfortunately there is a reasonable chance they also wouldn't accept you. Best of luck with it though!
    I dont suppose it would help that I was declared fit to fly solo for my gliding scholarship which I did and completed. I mean, if I can fly a light aircraft solo im sure thats got to count for something...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jar1995)
    I dont suppose it would help that I was declared fit to fly solo for my gliding scholarship which I did and completed. I mean, if I can fly a light aircraft solo im sure thats got to count for something...
    It really doesn't, no.

Don't want to sound flippant, but amputees can drive cars and fly planes perfectly legally, but you wouldn't expect them to get into the Armed Forces, would you?

Anyway, debating with us isn't going to change the fact that it's only the RN who can tell you.

ReputationRep:
    Having recently been through a similar process I can tell you the JSP states that if you suffer with any heart disease you cannot apply, unless you have had corrective surgery. Don't be put off with your application, they may still let you in.
    Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dangle1979)
    Having recently been through a similar process I can tell you the JSP states that if you suffer with any heart disease you cannot apply, unless you have had corrective surgery. Don't be put off with your application, they may still let you in.
    Good luck.
    Well that's what I was trying to say. I did have corrective surgery a week after I was born. Don't know if that will make a huge difference, probably not but worth a try

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.