The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Is the University of Manchester difficult to get into?

Hi, I'm planning on applying to the University of Manchester to study Chemistry.

My predicted grades are AAB in Chemistry, Law, and Biology respectively, (possibly AAA if my Bio teacher predicts me an A grade; I achieved a B grade at AS).

How 'picky' are Manchester when it comes to giving offers? I know that my predicted grades satisfy the entry requirements, and that Chemistry isn't an overly competitive course.
But I've also heard that Manchester are quite choosy, and look for something 'extra' from people who apply.

In my current situation, what do you think my chances are of being offered a place at the university? Thanks.
Reply 1
I got into Manchester in 2011 (though my place was deferred until the following year) despite getting one grade lower than the course entry requirements (on a much smaller course than chemistry too). I don't know how much the deferral had to do with this, but it can certainly happen. Manchester is, after all, the largest university in the country. Assuming you get get the AAB that Manchester expects of chemistry applicants, you shouldn't have any problems, particularly if, as you say, chemistry isn't an especially competitive course. Something extra is never bad, but I wouldn't worry about it too much.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Original post by Adam C
I got into Manchester in 2011 (though my place was deferred until the following year) despite getting one grade lower than the course entry requirements (on a much smaller course than chemistry too). I don't know how much the deferral had to do with this, but it can certainly happen. Manchester is, after all, the largest university in the country. Assuming you get get the AAB that Manchester expects of chemistry applicants, you shouldn't have any problems, particularly if, as you say, chemistry isn't an especially competitive course. Something extra is never bad, but I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Thank you, I'll probably drop them an email and see what they say.
Original post by lukemurp890
Hi, I'm planning on applying to the University of Manchester to study Chemistry.

My predicted grades are AAB in Chemistry, Law, and Biology respectively, (possibly AAA if my Bio teacher predicts me an A grade; I achieved a B grade at AS).

How 'picky' are Manchester when it comes to giving offers? I know that my predicted grades satisfy the entry requirements, and that Chemistry isn't an overly competitive course.
But I've also heard that Manchester are quite choosy, and look for something 'extra' from people who apply.

In my current situation, what do you think my chances are of being offered a place at the university? Thanks.

It's a competitive uni in general, but if you have got the grades then you've got as good a chance as anyone else of getting in - it's definitely worth you putting in an application

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending