Turn on thread page Beta

Madeleine McCann investigation 'cost £10 million to date' watch

Announcements
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    The BBC has reported today that, to date, the Madeleine McCann investigation has cost over £10 million. With a further £2 million budgeted for 2016.

How does TSR feel about this? :beard:

(Original post by BBC News)
    The investigation into the disappearance of Madeleine McCann has cost more than £10 million, the government has revealed.

Home Office minister Lord Bates said the total cost to the end of June was £10.1 million, with another £2 million budgeted for the next year.

Madeleine was three when she went missing from the Algarve resort of Praia da Luz seven years ago.

Last year Met Police officers went to Portugal to continue investigations.

Detectives observed Portuguese police questioning 11 "people of interest".

'Reviewed regularly'

Lord Bates disclosed the full cost of the investigation in an answer to a written parliamentary question from Lord Black of Brentwood.

"The total cost of the investigation in to the disappearance of Madeleine McCann (Operation Grange), up until end of June 2015, is £10.1m. The Home Office has budgeted £2m for the investigation in 2015/16," he said.

"The Home Office funds this work from the special grant budget.

"The level of funding provided to the Metropolitan Police in relation to this investigation is reviewed regularly and will continue to be monitored."

The Met's Operation Grange was set up in 2011 after Prime Minister David Cameron asked the force to "bring their expertise" to the inquiry following a request from Kate and Gerry McCann.

A spokesman for Madeleine McCann's parents, Kate and Gerry, said they were "incredibly grateful" to the police for their investigation, and to the prime minister and the Home Office for "making it possible".

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34278538

ReputationRep:
    Its £10M that could've been spent elsewhere obviously, I am very sorry for what happened to her - its a tragic story but I believe that shes dead..

I don't think they'll ever find her or her kidnapper, its a waste of money further than this.

ReputationRep:
    She's definitely lying in a ditch somewhere no point in wasting more money imo

ReputationRep:
    Total waste of money, she is either dead or kept as a slave in a place where no one will ever find her.

ReputationRep:
    She's dead, drop it. If she wasn't a blonde white little girl, nobody would care this much.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    A waste of money considering her survival rate is somewhere between Bin Laden and the T-rex right now, but considering how much money is spent on so much other pointless nonsense, £10 million is a drop in the ocean and really not a big concern. If I was a parent in that situation I'd be willing to pay that and more just for the chance to see my little girl again.

ReputationRep:
    i guess you can't put a price on a child's life...

ReputationRep:
    So much harshness in the comments so far. Surely it's better to spend money on this than on big cars for government ministers, lavish foreign trips for MPs or any of the other more absurd things taxpayer money gets wasted on?

There also seems to be a strange thing that goes on with this case, that because she isn't a black or working class child, we shouldn't care. Surely all young children who go missing should attract the greatest possible attention and concern?

ReputationRep:
    Supposedly they paid off their mortgage with some of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    So much harshness in the comments so far. Surely it's better to spend money on this than on big cars for government ministers, lavish foreign trips for MPs or any of the other more absurd things taxpayer money gets wasted on?

There also seems to be a strange thing that goes on with this case, that because she isn't a black or working class child, we shouldn't care. Surely all young children who go missing should attract the greatest possible attention and concern?
    All young children who go missing should attract the greatest possible attention and concern, but the harsh reality is that its not the case. If she wasn't a blond while girl as someone else pointed out - this case would've been closed and shut off 6 years ago.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KimKallstrom)
    Supposedly they paid off their mortgage with some of it.
    "The Fund was criticized in October 2007 for having made two of the McCanns' mortgage payments when they were unable to work, before they were made arguidos." - What a joke.

ReputationRep:
    Massive waste of money. The parents shouldn't have been so stupid the first place, "I know lets leave our 2 young children alone in a foreign country with the door unlocked".

****ing genius move.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    According to the media, the life of a little blonde girl is worth more than all other children. That's ridiculous.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

I've found it the other way round. Because she was a white middle class child with posh parents everyone overlooks the fact they left her alone so they could piss off to have a meal. That is some appalling parenting that would have been quite rightly attacked had parents been a fat working class mother and a step dad.

I think there is a polarising nature of this case. One of the reasons they got so much support from people and money donated was because they were so 'respectable' and 'nice'. But the special treatment they got from the media and government was bizarre and weird considering all the people that do go missing. Then you got the inverted backlash class snobbery like you talk about.

It's all really weird but I personally don't object to spending £10million to search for missing little girls considering what money does get spent on. There are far worse ways to spend money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    Yes you can. A price is put on people's lives everyday. You do it when you want to erect massive fences to keep refugee children and their families out who are fleeing from Syria. That £10 million could make a world of difference to a lot of people in bad situations. You can't be all pragmatic right winger one moment then get all sentimental the next.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    I've found it the other way round. Because she was a white middle class child with posh parents everyone overlooks the fact they left her alone so they could piss off to have a meal. That is some appalling parenting that would have been quite rightly attacked had parents been a fat working class mother and a step dad.

I think there is a polarising nature of this case. One of the reasons they got so much support from people and money donated was because they were so 'respectable' and 'nice'. But the special treatment they got from the media and government was bizarre and weird considering all the people that do go missing. Then you got the inverted backlash class snobbery like you talk about.

It's all really weird but I personally don't object to spending £10million to search for missing little girls considering what money does get spent on. There are far worse ways to spend money.
    Her parents weren't really posh - they are doctors, but they come across as people from working class backgrounds in both cases.

The stuff about them being stupid, leaving their door unlocked, is very victim-blaming. They felt safe in what was supposedly a well secured overall environment. Loads of parents have done similar things and had small lapses of care from time to time in that way. The difference in this case was presumably that a clever paedophile or gang of them were lurking to take advantage.

ReputationRep:
    What a joke.

She's dead. Just let it go, and put the money towards the other missing children.

If we spent this much on all our missing people, we'd be bankrupt ages ago.

Or you know, cancer research, or for training more doctors, or even put towards the other missing children who don't get that much of money or attention towards them.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah this case is a classic example of missing white woman syndrome :\

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fango_Jett)
    What a joke.

She's dead. Just let it go, and put the money towards the other missing children.

If we spent this much on all our missing people, we'd be bankrupt ages ago.

Or you know, cancer research, or for training more doctors, or even put towards the other missing children who don't get that much of money or attention towards them.
    It's always hard to weigh up who is the most deserving, but the way vast amounts are spent in the UK on nonsense means that many of these kinds of rationing decisions are happening against a backdrop of spectacular waste in other areas of spending, much of it directed to the profit of private corporations. For example, the NHS has spent many billions on a massive IT system that doesn't work and most of that money has gone to the shareholders of some awfully rich and powerful companies. Personally I would use that as my benchmark for comparison, not a phony pseudo-competition between different kinds of endangered children.

ReputationRep:
    Her parents weren't really posh - they are doctors, but they come across as people from working class backgrounds in both cases.

The stuff about them being stupid, leaving their door unlocked, is very victim-blaming. They felt safe in what was supposedly a well secured overall environment. Loads of parents have done similar things and had small lapses of care from time to time in that way. The difference in this case was presumably that a clever paedophile or gang of them were lurking to take advantage.
    No that is stupid and I would never leave any 3 yr old child of mine on their own. That is bad parenting in my view. Even if everyone does it. What if they choke on something? Three year olds do dum ****. If you make the consouse decision to go out and leave your 3 year old on their own that is bad parenting. Not some lapse in judgement or accidentally leaving the door unlocked/window open. As to purposely leaving the door unlocked... Like I don't even understand. I would be paranoid. I'd also be paraniod about locking her in incase there was a fire or sometihng and she was trapped. But that is why I would not leave a three year old on their own! I can't emphasize enough how stupid that is to me.

Still it isn't their fault that she got abducted but they should have not left her alone. If they were scroty that would have been picked up on much more by certain types of people, or I guess in this case they are getting pick up on by inverted snobs. I;m not syaong we should charge them with child neglect, that wouldn't help anything. I imagine they feel awful for what happened and it will haunt them for the rest of their life and i feel sorry for them.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 22, 2015
Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.