Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am having some serious thoughts about deferring my year and reapplying to better universities next year. On results day I got A*AB in Business, Geography and Maths respectively. In AS' In maths I averaged a very high A (Around 88%) however this year I seriously messed up on D1 and didn't do as well as hoped in C3 and C4. This B in maths therefore resulted in rejections from Univesity of Bath and Bristol, as in Economics an A is very much preferred. Ultimately I plan to enter a career in Finance (either IB or Asset Management) so I was wondering what people were thinking for whether to retake my maths this year to try and get an A or an A* and therefore get into a better and more prestigious university to increase graduate prospects into this industry. Furthermore, this idea has sprung up because of not having any accommodation in guildford, all campus accommodation was full and most houses in guildford are either snatched up quickly or are far too expensive!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DomWoodcock)
    I am having some serious thoughts about deferring my year and reapplying to better universities next year. On results day I got A*AB in Business, Geography and Maths respectively. In AS' In maths I averaged a very high A (Around 88%) however this year I seriously messed up on D1 and didn't do as well as hoped in C3 and C4. This B in maths therefore resulted in rejections from Univesity of Bath and Bristol, as in Economics an A is very much preferred. Ultimately I plan to enter a career in Finance (either IB or Asset Management) so I was wondering what people were thinking for whether to retake my maths this year to try and get an A or an A* and therefore get into a better and more prestigious university to increase graduate prospects into this industry. Furthermore, this idea has sprung up because of not having any accommodation in guildford, all campus accommodation was full and most houses in guildford are either snatched up quickly or are far too expensive!
    congratulations on those grades, they're excellent!

A gap year seems suitable in your situation, so that you can retake the exam(s) you like, although you should check your preferred unis policies on resit students. A lot of prestigious universities would prefer students to sit A levels within the 2 years.

Which uni were you planning on going to this year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherryred90s)
    congratulations on those grades, they're excellent!

A gap year seems suitable in your situation, so that you can retake the exam(s) you like, although you should check your preferred unis policies on resit students. A lot of prestigious universities would prefer students to sit A levels within the 2 years.

Which uni were you planning on going to this year?
    Thanks for the response! That's what I find worrying, so i'll be phoning up admissions for Bath and Bristol to see what the likeliness of them offering me a place this year, since they offered me a place last year, subject to me retaking my maths.

My initial plan was to go to the University of Bath, but through clearing i managed to get a place at University of Surrey, which is a good university - don't get me wrong, but for graduate prospects Bath and Bristol are far superior.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DomWoodcock)
    Thanks for the response! That's what I find worrying, so i'll be phoning up admissions for Bath and Bristol to see what the likeliness of them offering me a place this year, since they offered me a place last year, subject to me retaking my maths.

My initial plan was to go to the University of Bath, but through clearing i managed to get a place at University of Surrey, which is a good university - don't get me wrong, but for graduate prospects Bath and Bristol are far superior.
    Hey there! I am in a very similar situation to you. I held an economics offer at LSE for straight economics but unfortunately got A*AB with the A being in Maths and B in Biology (A* in econ). Anyway, I also got a place at Surrey for Economics. I completely understand why you are potentially thinking about a year out - I was exactly the same, especially when I was told there was no accommodation in Guildford!! I really contemplated taking a year out and reapplying, taking up FM aswell, but for me personally, I would really only reapply for UCL oR LSE (potentially Warwick also). Anyway, when I rang them they said that although the wouldn't rule me out, I would be at a considerable disadvantage. I then thought to myself that I Need to be realistic. The alternative option was applying for econ joint honours at LSE/UCL as some are AAB which you may want to look into! However, I know Bristol are happy to accept resits for their straight economics courses as are Nottingham and Kings College (E&M) ! Anyway, I am fortunate in the sense that I was able to find a house very close to the campus but if I'm being honest, if I didn't find accommodation I would take a year out. I also want to work in finance, potentially IB and asset management. I am fully aware that University of Surrey is not a target university for IB and does no way hold the same prestige as LSE at all. However if you research (LinkedIn especially) you can see that although they are not there in the greatest numbers such as those at LSE/UCL etc. people from Surrey have been able to secure internships and Spring weeks and jobs at top bulge bracket investment banks. I'm not saying by any means that it will be easy and that those at LSE etc. Don't have an advantage, but it IS possible to still do what you want to do even if it is not at the university you initially wanted to. You will have to work harder, stand out more but there is nothing wrong with that if it gets you where you want to be. I had work experience at Barclays in Canary Wharf this summer and I had a one-on-one interview with a lady who worked in recruitment for the 'banking' division of Barclays which is where IB is under and explained me situation to her and she really encouraged me to go to Surrey. She said that although going to a top university is very beneficial - it is NOT everything and they look for so much more outside of that.
    Yes, that is only one woman but at the same time at least it is an individual who works at a BB In recruitment for SWs, internships etc. As opposed to people online such as those on TSR who you have no idea if they actually know what they are talking about.
    Best of luck to whatever you choose to do!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CAulet567)
    Hey there! I am in a very similar situation to you. I held an economics offer at LSE for straight economics but unfortunately got A*AB with the A being in Maths and B in Biology (A* in econ). Anyway, I also got a place at Surrey for Economics. I completely understand why you are potentially thinking about a year out - I was exactly the same, especially when I was told there was no accommodation in Guildford!! I really contemplated taking a year out and reapplying, taking up FM aswell, but for me personally, I would really only reapply for UCL oR LSE (potentially Warwick also). Anyway, when I rang them they said that although the wouldn't rule me out, I would be at a considerable disadvantage. I then thought to myself that I Need to be realistic. The alternative option was applying for econ joint honours at LSE/UCL as some are AAB which you may want to look into! However, I know Bristol are happy to accept resits for their straight economics courses as are Nottingham and Kings College (E&M) ! Anyway, I am fortunate in the sense that I was able to find a house very close to the campus but if I'm being honest, if I didn't find accommodation I would take a year out. I also want to work in finance, potentially IB and asset management. I am fully aware that University of Surrey is not a target university for IB and does no way hold the same prestige as LSE at all. However if you research (LinkedIn especially) you can see that although they are not there in the greatest numbers such as those at LSE/UCL etc. people from Surrey have been able to secure internships and Spring weeks and jobs at top bulge bracket investment banks. I'm not saying by any means that it will be easy and that those at LSE etc. Don't have an advantage, but it IS possible to still do what you want to do even if it is not at the university you initially wanted to. You will have to work harder, stand out more but there is nothing wrong with that if it gets you where you want to be. I had work experience at Barclays in Canary Wharf this summer and I had a one-on-one interview with a lady who worked in recruitment for the 'banking' division of Barclays which is where IB is under and explained me situation to her and she really encouraged me to go to Surrey. She said that although going to a top university is very beneficial - it is NOT everything and they look for so much more outside of that.
    Yes, that is only one woman but at the same time at least it is an individual who works at a BB In recruitment for SWs, internships etc. As opposed to people online such as those on TSR who you have no idea if they actually know what they are talking about.
    Best of luck to whatever you choose to do!
    Hello I just saw your post as a 2016 applicant do you think its worth applying to LSE's joint econ degrees for a better chance of getting in bc they are AAB. I am predicted precisely AAB (very strict college policies) so is it worth giving it a shot? I expect do achieve AAA or A*AB
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minjinoor)
    Hello I just saw your post as a 2016 applicant do you think its worth applying to LSE's joint econ degrees for a better chance of getting in bc they are AAB. I am predicted precisely AAB (very strict college policies) so is it worth giving it a shot? I expect do achieve AAA or A*AB
    Thanks
    If you are predicted AAB I would definitely apply for an AAB course and no higher because they are really strict on your predictions meeting the entry requirements for the course!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 20, 2015
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.