Turn on thread page Beta

Laptop dies in seconds after unplugging charger? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey Guys;

Well, after taking the charger out of my laptop earlier (about 10 mins ago), my laptop instantly died...
    I know the most likely cause is the battery but, also, a few days ago, I noticed a burning kind of smell coming from my laptop and so, I decided to give it a brief clean incase it was dust and after turning it back on, it was fine.

Is it also possible one of my fans simply wasn't working at the time?

Thanks. =)

Laptop = ASUS N56V series and is coming up for 3 years old.

Also, just so you lot know, I know near enough nothing about laptops in terms of hardware, so, don't ask me as I won't know... =l
    I am a Biomedical Scientist, not a computer scientist... -.-

EDIT:
    In short, is there any other possible reason?

ReputationRep:
    Your battery is finished

ReputationRep:
    My old laptop used to do that, it would have to be constantly on charge. Your battery is just really bad. Do you leave it on charge when its fully charged? (Before this started happening)

ReputationRep:
    My laptop has the same problem. Your battery is dead. I just keep it plugged in all the time.

ReputationRep:
    I had something like that where my laptop was like overheating with all the dust inside it. Try really blowing into the fan groove things and a plume of dust might come out. If not it's most likely your battery

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinkerbell_xxx)
    My old laptop used to do that, it would have to be constantly on charge. Your battery is just really bad. Do you leave it on charge when its fully charged? (Before this started happening)
    Pretty much...

ReputationRep:
    Need to buy a new battery

ReputationRep:
    Do you mean it boots fine without battery, or boots fine with battery + AC but without any charging battery? It's possible a voltage regulator from between the primary DC/DC switcher and the battery has failed, especially if you smelt burning, but in the case of a latter scenario I would definitely try another (genuine) battery.

ReputationRep:
    Did the battery read fully charged when you turned it on?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scienceisgood)
    Pretty much...
    Thats why, leaving it on charge when its fully charged can damage the battery. You could slightly increase the current battery life by using the laptop on charge, let it die then fully charge it (you can still use it), unplug and repeat. This method increased my dad's laptop battery a bit when his did the same thing as yours.

ReputationRep:
    Your battery is knackered.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    Did the battery read fully charged when you turned it on?
    Yeah.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scienceisgood)
    Yeah.
    Battery is ****ed then.

Buy a new battery!

ReputationRep:
    Battery busted. Normally batteries last for like 3-4 years. And if you're battery is like 6+ years, about time to change it

ReputationRep:
    Like everyone else has mentioned you need a new battery. Take it to your local computer shop and they should be able to confirm this and supply you with one if you are not comfortable buying the right battery from the internet

ReputationRep:
    Either the battery (most likely cause)
    Or the PSU overheating due to excessive strain from internal/external components.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: September 17, 2015
Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.