Turn on thread page Beta

Things you wish you knew when you started studying Law watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting Law on my Access course next week, and was looking for some advice on do's and don'ts of studying this particular subject.
    I've got a few textbooks and am trying to familiarise myself with the law jargon.

Any help would be appreciated

ReputationRep:
    how dull it is
    how much being a solicitor sucks

ReputationRep:
    not to take it lol

ReputationRep:
    Apparently if you want to get in law, its better if you do gov and pol.
    Law is one of the most easiest subjects
    its basically remembering cases and writing them in the exam and theres a thinking exam. but many find it boring as hell. i started it myself and its boring! but everyone has their own interests. i would say pick something worth it. Law as an a level is so un appreciated by universities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Livvyxo)
    I'm starting Law on my Access course next week, and was looking for some advice on do's and don'ts of studying this particular subject.
    I've got a few textbooks and am trying to familiarise myself with the law jargon.

Any help would be appreciated
    Wish I knew that insane people shouldn't go into law EVER, because it will drive them even more insane, and they will quit whilst still in a trainee solicitor stage.
    Wasted over 4 years of my life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexandra675)
    its basically remembering cases and writing them in the exam and theres a thinking exam. but many find it boring as hell. i started it myself and its boring! but everyone has their own interests. i would say pick something worth it. Law as an a level is so un appreciated by universities.
    What you're saying about law being easy is extremely caricatural and misleading. It's not basically remembering cases and writing them in the exam. If that were it we'd all get firsts wouldn't we?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ciel.)
    Wish I knew that insane people shouldn't go into law EVER, because it will drive them even more insane, and they will quit whilst still in a trainee solicitor stage.
    Wasted over 4 years of my life.
    Please tell your story.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yastyb)
    What you're saying about law being easy is extremely caricatural and misleading. It's not basically remembering cases and writing them in the exam. If that were it we'd all get firsts wouldn't we?
    I'm totally agreeing with yastyb here. But in response to Livvyxo, it's all about time management and upholding that throughout the year. In your access course you'll probably doing Contract, Tort, Public and English Legal System (there could be a few more modules but you get the idea). Make enough time for each module and do the reading. Also after your tutorials, I'd recommend you consolidate over your work.

Just PM me if you need any help, I'm more than happy to check over work or answer any queries

(I'm a final year LLB student atm) :cry:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yastyb)
    The guy who said this means A level law, with regards to getting on a Law degree! Not a Law degree getting a legal career

ReputationRep:
    How hard you have to try to force yourself to like it so you don't get insane.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehforum)
    Please tell your story.
    Not much to tell really. It made everything so much worse. Studying wasn't bad - it was actual work that 'killed' me.. Couldn't cope with the stress. People with mental health issues just shouldn't go into law, it's so destructive.

(Original post by Pariah)
    how dull it is
    how much being a solicitor sucks
    Are you a solicitor? If not, what stage are you at?

(Original post by Ciel.)
    Not much to tell really. It made everything so much worse. Studying wasn't bad - it was actual work that 'killed' me.. Couldn't cope with the stress. People with mental health issues just shouldn't go into law, it's so destructive.
    I know that feel in a manner of speaking, given that I'm only just a third seater - but I hear it gets easier once you qualify. Even on bad days I find it's a case of taking it one day at a time and plugging away at the gap to qualification, since at least then I can actually assess whether I want to leave law without being unable to come back to it easily.

It certainly isn't the right career for everyone though - kudos for having the courage of your convictions to do what you needed to do. :moon:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blackacre)

I know that feel in a manner of speaking, given that I'm only just a third seater - but I hear it gets easier once you qualify. Even on bad days I find it's a case of taking it one day at a time and plugging away at the gap to qualification, since at least then I can actually assess whether I want to leave law without being unable to come back to it easily.

It certainly isn't the right career for everyone though - kudos for having the courage of your convictions to do what you needed to do. :moon:
    I thought that things will get easier but unfortunately, that wasn't the case with me. Hope things will turn out better for you.

ReputationRep:
    i start llb law tomorrow. This thread has been good for moral support ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexandra675)
    Sorry but if you found that law was basically just reading cases and replicating them in the exam you either didn't do it right or your course was too easy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Stefan*)
    Sorry but if you found that law was basically just reading cases and replicating them in the exam you either didn't do it right or your course was too easy.
    She's talking about A level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehforum)
    She's talking about A level.
    Wait... Is this the right subforun for this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blackacre)
    i was a solicitor for 15 years - i qualified in the west end doing general co/co work and spent 13 years at a large regional doing corporate

it's ok for a while and it good money for the moderately clever but risk averse, but the profession (at least private practice commercial work) is rammed with w***ers

ReputationRep:
    If it is truly something you feel passionate towards and don't want to just do it for the money .. You'll love it!

ReputationRep:
    you will never know or understand what 'reasonable man' means

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful revision links

Articles

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.