Turn on thread page Beta

I've just started A2. I got decent grades for AS - ABBC, but this year I have no motivation. I want to study History with Politics but I don't know where. I haven't even started my personal statement. I feel constantly tired, I don't care about organising my notes. I get home from college each day and stay on my laptop til I go to bed. I never go out, even though I'm doing better at talking to people and making friends this year. I put the bare minimum effort into my homework and I comfort eat all the time. I'm not fat, just a slightly chubby size 12. I want to do well this year but I just have no motivation, I'm lazy and sit around. How do I get motivated, how do I actually get off my ass. Every day I say 'I'll get everything sorted tomorrow' but I never do. What's wrong with me

ReputationRep:
    you might be depressed. The real "lazy" people don't care that they're lazy, and even embrace it as a way of life. Whereas you actually want to not be lazy.
    Are you sure you aren't locked inside your house?

ReputationRep:
    I've just started uni and I'm exactly the same. I literally don't care about it at all, it's an inconvinience. I'm finding myself taking every excuse to avoid going in and I'm very worried I'm going to waste it. All the things I care about are separate from uni, and while I'm good at stuff that takes much more dedication than uni, I can't start a business in it without a ton of cash that I don't have. They'll pay me all this money to float through uni, but not to do something that will change my life! Why should I pour effort into something I don't enjoy to get me somewhere I don't want to be?

Look to your hobbies, find things you have a passion for doing, and hope it's possible to make money off them.

"Have faith in yourself, stand up on that faith and be strong; that is what you need."

"The remedy for weakness is not brooding over weakness, but thinking of strength."

"This is the great fact: strength is life, weakness is death. Strength is felicity, life eternal, immortal; weakness is constant strain and misery: weakness is death."

"We are what our thoughts have made us; so take care about what you think. Words are secondary. Thoughts live; they travel far."

"Whatever you think, that you will be. If you think yourselves weak, weak you will be; if you think yourselves strong, strong you will be; if you think yourselves impure, impure you will be; if you think yourselves pure, pure you will be."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    "Have faith in yourself, stand up on that faith and be strong; that is what you need."

"The remedy for weakness is not brooding over weakness, but thinking of strength."

"This is the great fact: strength is life, weakness is death. Strength is felicity, life eternal, immortal; weakness is constant strain and misery: weakness is death."

"We are what our thoughts have made us; so take care about what you think. Words are secondary. Thoughts live; they travel far."

"Whatever you think, that you will be. If you think yourselves weak, weak you will be; if you think yourselves strong, strong you will be; if you think yourselves impure, impure you will be; if you think yourselves pure, pure you will be."
    Those are some damn good quotes! You'll excuse me for responding like this, I'm not trying to commandeer the thread from OP, but if he's anything like me, the answer might be useful to him.

I always used to do this. If I knew what I had to do, I could work as hard as I needed to and get through it, and I can still do this with a lot of things, self-pity is a sickness and does make you weaker, and I recognised that and dealt with it, because I had a kind of duty. Now though, however, emerging from the linear school system into a world of options and important decisions, the problem I have is being sure I'm on the right path. I'm starting to feel I'm on the wrong one, which then makes me feel like fighting to achieve it is pointless, because I'm fighting for the wrong reason or the wrong 'side'.

Just a perspective, again, I'd advise OP be sure in what he's doing if that's possible, because if you're sure, then motivation will come!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gundog48)
    Those are some damn good quotes! You'll excuse me for responding like this, I'm not trying to commandeer the thread from OP, but if he's anything like me, the answer might be useful to him.

I always used to do this. If I knew what I had to do, I could work as hard as I needed to and get through it, and I can still do this with a lot of things, self-pity is a sickness and does make you weaker, and I recognised that and dealt with it, because I had a kind of duty. Now though, however, emerging from the linear school system into a world of options and important decisions, the problem I have is being sure I'm on the right path. I'm starting to feel I'm on the wrong one, which then makes me feel like fighting to achieve it is pointless, because I'm fighting for the wrong reason or the wrong 'side'.

Just a perspective, again, I'd advise OP be sure in what he's doing if that's possible, because if you're sure, then motivation will come!
    Yup, those quotes are from Swami Vivekananda - a Hindu monk who travelled the world in the late 18th and early 19th centuries giving lectures on Hinduism.

Other things he said which I like are:

"Awake and arise, it does not befit you. Think not that you are weak and miserable..................... It is not fitting that you think yourself weak. Say that to the world, say it to yourselves, and see what a practical result comes, see how with an electric flash everything is manifested, how everything is changed.

Tell that to mankind, and show them their power. Then we shall learn how to apply it in our daily lives."

"Faith in ourselves will do everything. I have experienced it in my own life, and am still doing so; and as I grow older that faith is becoming stronger and stronger. He is an atheist who does not believe in himself. The old religions said that he was an atheist who did not believe in God. This new religion says that he is the atheist who does not believe in himself.

ReputationRep:
    same , hard to be motivated but think evryday of where u want to be in life...it will get u there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I've just started A2. I got decent grades for AS - ABBC, but this year I have no motivation. I want to study History with Politics but I don't know where. I haven't even started my personal statement. I feel constantly tired, I don't care about organising my notes. I get home from college each day and stay on my laptop til I go to bed. I never go out, even though I'm doing better at talking to people and making friends this year. I put the bare minimum effort into my homework and I comfort eat all the time. I'm not fat, just a slightly chubby size 12. I want to do well this year but I just have no motivation, I'm lazy and sit around. How do I get motivated, how do I actually get off my ass. Every day I say 'I'll get everything sorted tomorrow' but I never do. What's wrong with me
    Sounds like you is 'ad too many hits of the sensi.

keep it gwanin, Aiiiiiight?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 17, 2015
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.