The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Original post by boyyo
Hey, thanks for getting back to me. Yeahh i think i can atleast get AAB at the end of the year, but my teachers are being really harsh, so i may need to go through clearing btw do you have any sort of idea as to how competitive physics is at kings, i remeber it was in clearing last year.
Also im resitting some AS modules, do you think they would mind that ? And i got a U in futher maths last year too, do you think that would be a problem??

ps. Sorry for all the questions im soo curious :/

I wouldn't be able to comment on Physics I'm afraid, though I suspect as with any course to KCL it would be competitive. As for resitting AS modules, I would like to imagine they wouldn't mind, providing at the end of it you reach whatever they offer you, but again I'm sorry to say I can't be sure. Finally, depends on the U. If you dropped that at AS level, and are predicted AAB for the other 3 then it shouldn't matter in theory, as the offer is simply based on whatever your current 3 A2 subjects are. However due to the fact Physics and Maths go hand in hand they may take it into account.

Original post by TheThiefOfBagdad
Thank you for your reply.
I don't have another degree behind me, no; I have been working since I left secondary school.
We are only three weeks into the course so far so I don't have any grades as yet. I am aiming for 45 distinctions but only time will tell. The course covers biology, chemistry and maths so it fits well with King's requirements.

Thanks again.

Ah in which case I would definitely still use your experience with working to your advantage. Whatever it is you've worked as, explaining what you've learned over that course of time and how those skills would apply/benefit you on any future course is what universities like to see. It's all good and well for someone to apply with masses of experience, but if they can't say what they've learned from it it doesn't count for much. I would really emphasise that in any application and use it to your advantage.

And I agree! The subjects go hand in hand and I do wish you luck in going for the 45 :smile:

For everyone else, again feel free to shoot questions my way, sorry I've been a bit awol in the past few days from the thread. Congrats to all with offers :yy:
(edited 8 years ago)
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Applied for maths today.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by boyyo
Lol, is kings your first choice? And what are your predcitions if you dont mind me asking

Is king's my first choice? Yes and no. I am retaking year 13 so of those that I stand a realistic chance of getting King's is most definitely my first choice. However I will be applying to Manchester which if I was graced with an offer would be my first choice but I do not hold out much hope for actually receiving an offer.

My Predictions?
My grades from last year are ABB a*- Maths, Physics, Chemistry at A level and EPQ Respectively.
Now Changed college my predictions for this year are in the range of A*AAB-A*A*A* B (most likely outcome A*A*AB) with the new additional subject being Further Maths, total a level resit in Physics and a single paper resit in Maths as I got the notational a* in C3 but did really bad in C4.

Guessing What else you might ask:
GCSE Grades: 4xA* 5xA 1xB plus a B in a short course and Level 2 thinking and reasoning with distinction and level 2 award in creative arts.
AS Grdae B in History.
Reason for redoing- extenuating circumstances like by the bucket load.
Got an offer for PPE yesterday :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone going for politicd philosophy and law??
Offer for Classics :smile:
Original post by Euphrosyne.

With what grades? Congrats
Original post by erloean
Got an offer for PPE yesterday :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congrats!!! What subjects and grades do you have if you don't mind me asking? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by EllieHeyman
Congrats!!! What subjects and grades do you have if you don't mind me asking? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

GCSES 9A* 2A
AS Level AAAA (maths, history, geography, English)
A2 Predicted A*A*A* :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Euphrosyne.

Congrats! :wink:)))
Original post by Tom5pence
With what grades? Congrats

AAB, thank you :smile:
Original post by TitanCream
Congrats! :wink:)))

Thank you!! :smile:
Reply 172
Just got an offer for biochemistry msci!! Yayy
Applied on Monday, and just got my offer for History! AAA!
Original post by erloean
GCSES 9A* 2A
AS Level AAAA (maths, history, geography, English)
A2 Predicted A*A*A* :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is amazing! Praying I get one too

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 175
Original post by Midgeymoo17
Is king's my first choice? Yes and no. I am retaking year 13 so of those that I stand a realistic chance of getting King's is most definitely my first choice. However I will be applying to Manchester which if I was graced with an offer would be my first choice but I do not hold out much hope for actually receiving an offer.

My Predictions?
My grades from last year are ABB a*- Maths, Physics, Chemistry at A level and EPQ Respectively.
Now Changed college my predictions for this year are in the range of A*AAB-A*A*A* B (most likely outcome A*A*AB) with the new additional subject being Further Maths, total a level resit in Physics and a single paper resit in Maths as I got the notational a* in C3 but did really bad in C4.

Guessing What else you might ask:
GCSE Grades: 4xA* 5xA 1xB plus a B in a short course and Level 2 thinking and reasoning with distinction and level 2 award in creative arts.
AS Grdae B in History.
Reason for redoing- extenuating circumstances like by the bucket load.

Oh wow, you seem to have a really good chance if you ask me. But Im worried my predictions wont be eneough to get me an offer, but i still have a chance to change them.
Btw do you think if you got an offer and didnt the grades, would you still have a chance of getting in?
And have you sent your ucas of yet?

Sorry for all the questions btw, your like the first person i met thats applying for physics:smile:
Original post by boyyo
Oh wow, you seem to have a really good chance if you ask me. But Im worried my predictions wont be eneough to get me an offer, but i still have a chance to change them.
Btw do you think if you got an offer and didnt the grades, would you still have a chance of getting in?
And have you sent your ucas of yet?

Sorry for all the questions btw, your like the first person i met thats applying for physics:smile:

It's cool. To your second question I recommend you read the person who was previously quoting me on page 2 of this thread-

The summation of what she said pointed out that last summer Kings College failed to fill the places on their straight physics course and therefore places in clearing. I saw this but due mental health was not ready to go to University, so I did not ring them. However the person points out that a friend in my exact position with a ABB did ring up about physics and was accepted. So yes there is a real chance evenif I make no change to my grade I will still get a place a Kings. However no guarantees as their normal offer is set at AAA-AAB and applications to physics may rise this year after falling last year.

No I have not sent my UCAS will probably do it before next Friday- as my teacher also needs to write the letter/ fill in the extenuating circumstances form for my choices.

As for your predictions what are they? If you do not mind me asking. Can you not just ask them to increase one by a grade if it's just one subject?
Original post by JDHOrchard

Congratulations! What were your AS grades if you don't mind me asking? Just applied for history a few days ago as well :smile:
Reply 178
Original post by JDHOrchard

Congrats!! I got my offer on Tuesday (after applying last Friday) :smile:) YeaaAH history :h:
Join the group? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1622799704645365/1623612521230750/?notif_t=group_activity
Reply 179
Original post by Midgeymoo17
It's cool. To your second question I recommend you read the person who was previously quoting me on page 2 of this thread-

The summation of what she said pointed out that last summer Kings College failed to fill the places on their straight physics course and therefore places in clearing. I saw this but due mental health was not ready to go to University, so I did not ring them. However the person points out that a friend in my exact position with a ABB did ring up about physics and was accepted. So yes there is a real chance evenif I make no change to my grade I will still get a place a Kings. However no guarantees as their normal offer is set at AAA-AAB and applications to physics may rise this year after falling last year.

No I have not sent my UCAS will probably do it before next Friday- as my teacher also needs to write the letter/ fill in the extenuating circumstances form for my choices.

As for your predictions what are they? If you do not mind me asking. Can you not just ask them to increase one by a grade if it's just one subject?

Currently they are ABC in Physics, Maths and Economics, but i have mocks next week which my school says can help your predcitions, so im hoping to get economics to a B, and hoefully maths to an A. Kings admissions guy said I'd get an offer with AAB( A in maths and physics). The only problem is that I got a C in maths last year because I messed up C2, so even if i get an A* in these mocks idk if it would get me an A predicition. So i could be left with ABB. But like you said Physics was in clearing last year, which I was a bit suprised by, its really hard to say whats gonna happen this time. After these mocks, if i dont get that A in maths, Im gonna speak to them and see what happens.
Ps. You know when you said that Physics places last year werent filled, what makes you think it would fill up this year?
(edited 8 years ago)

Latest