The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Does anyone with a room at GDS, with an en suite, want to swap for a room at Stamford Street Apartments with an ensuite
(edited 7 years ago)
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 201
Have an ensuite room at Stamford Street apartments, would you like to swap with your Great Dover Street accommodation?
Original post by RogerMoore
I've got ensuite Great Dover and am looking for ensuite Stamford, if you're interested. Crazy how we have to wait so long though...
I'm a postgrad in the Political Economy department. I've been offered an ensuite room at Angel Lane. 189 pounds/week. I need to be close to Waterloo and Strand campuses. Anyone in Julian Markham willing to swap?
my daughter got offered stratford one (185 pw) and would like to swap to wolfson house.
i guess she already posted that in the FB-group.
important to know: she still holds a conditional offer !
Reply 204
Original post by super-mom
my daughter got offered stratford one (185 pw) and would like to swap to wolfson house.
i guess she already posted that in the FB-group.
important to know: she still holds a conditional offer !

Make sure you go to see wolfson house before, you'd be surprised at how deceiving the pictures are
Hi would anyone be willing to swap with me! I've got an ensuite at Moonraker but it's too expensive for me! Preferably want stamford street. Thanks!
Original post by SohaXO
Make sure you go to see wolfson house before, you'd be surprised at how deceiving the pictures are

ups....
really that bad ?

she is an eu student, so she is not eligible for maintenance loans and we really have to take a very close look at the costs.
she got an offer from a non- KCL-residence, very close to tube and so i guess she will (have to) go living there, at least for the first year (if she gets into KCL ).

but thank you for this information - maybe she should decline the KCL offer instead of going to wolfson ....
Original post by ali123456
Hi would anyone be willing to swap with me! I've got an ensuite at Moonraker but it's too expensive for me! Preferably want stamford street. Thanks!

I've got ensuite at GDSA if you wanna swap? It's the same price as Stamford street
Original post by super-mom
ups....
really that bad ?

she is an eu student, so she is not eligible for maintenance loans and we really have to take a very close look at the costs.
she got an offer from a non- KCL-residence, very close to tube and so i guess she will (have to) go living there, at least for the first year (if she gets into KCL ).

but thank you for this information - maybe she should decline the KCL offer instead of going to wolfson ....

i got placed at wolfson house and i saw it on an openday, to be honest its not that bad, its not the best looking etc but it has everything you need and for being so cheap compared to the others as well, ive spoke to some people who live in it now and they love it. Im coming from Northern Ireland, and i know in terms of not being too familiar with London myself, wolfson will be great as it is so close to guys campus and London bridge station
Original post by erin7697
i got placed at wolfson house and i saw it on an openday, to be honest its not that bad, its not the best looking etc but it has everything you need and for being so cheap compared to the others as well, ive spoke to some people who live in it now and they love it. Im coming from Northern Ireland, and i know in terms of not being too familiar with London myself, wolfson will be great as it is so close to guys campus and London bridge station

thank you for these further informations !

i think in most of the ( affordable) residences the rooms are quite small and the "feeling" in the residence itself depends very much of how good you get along with your flat mates .
and about every place there are good and bad revisions or opinions...
living on a restricted student budget always requires some sacrifices - space, distance, public transport ( i was studying at Berlin and a 30 minute travel to university is really very little time in a big city !) .

if she cannnot swap, she fortunately got that offer from the other (non KCL) residence, so her only concern until mid of august will be the endless waiting for the grades from her LC 😳
So, while I've decided to accept the en-suite in Angel Lane, I'm pretty much open for a switch to somewhere nearer to the Strand campus like Julian Markham House or even Westminster Bridge. Any takers?

Also, how does the process actually work? I'm assuming I'll have to pay up the extra differences between the prices?
Hi, I got placed in a single en suite in College Hall of the Intercollegiate halls. Does anyone know if I can swap it with KCL's residences? It was a bit expensive (243 pw) for me and I am hoping to swap it for something under 200 pw (except Angel Lane, which is too far from Waterloo where my classes will mostly be), Iris Brook and Orchard Aisle will do too! Also, I am a postgraduate student so there should be a few residences that I am not eligible to stay. Would be grateful if someone can answer my questions/offer a swap!
Original post by premukh
Does anyone with a room at GDS, with an en suite, want to swap for a room at Stamford Street Apartments with an ensuite

Hi, I've got an ensuite at GDS And want to swap to live in Stamford Street Apartments, can you still swap?
Got Stamford street :h: @MrDystopia, what have people you know at Stamford said about it? :h:
Hi I have been offered an ensuite room at Great Dover Street but was really hoping for either the Stamford apartments or Moonraker point! If anyone's interested in a swap please get back to me :smile: thanks x
Original post by thechemistress
Got Stamford street :h: @MrDystopia, what have people you know at Stamford said about it? :h:

They've liked it! Especially given it's not too far from Strand and basically on Waterloo campus, which I think initially is mainly why people pick/hope for the accommodation they do (Based on wherever they're studying).

Given that it's on Waterloo campus too you're essentially 30 seconds away from a uni library which makes staying out late there a lot more easier. This also applies for Wolfson too. Since you can stay out to ridiculous hours catching up on work (Which I'm sure given you're all Fresher's you'll definitely do come exam season :lol:) and then just cross the road to be home.

It's also in a nice area location wise to reach some of the other places in London, like Westminster, Leicester Square (Which I believe is like, a 25 minute walk away?) so for nights out in London it's pretty good too.

Room wise doesn't really make as much difference. Naturally if you're paying for Moonraker for example you'll get something more spacious/slightly more nice. But your room is what you make it so I can't really fault Stamford Street.
Got an ensuite at GDSA! @MrDystopia could you share some information about what you've heard? :h:
Original post by svenja157
Got an ensuite at GDSA! @MrDystopia could you share some information about what you've heard? :h:

GDSA was my accommodation so I'm biased in saying I adored it. Anything specific about it you want to know or just a general overview of it all?
Original post by MrDystopia
GDSA was my accommodation so I'm biased in saying I adored it. Anything specific about it you want to know or just a general overview of it all?

General overview would be great! Also one specific question: Are there mini fridges in the rooms / are we allowed to bring one?
Original post by svenja157
General overview would be great! Also one specific question: Are there mini fridges in the rooms / are we allowed to bring one?

So general overview. The rooms sizes vary somewhat simply by the luck of the draw. The vast majority are your usual small sized uni accomodations that you would expect. Some (Particularly those on the top floor like mine was) are much much bigger. But it's not really anything worthy. The extra space just meant people hung out in my room during parties and I had to clean up more ~_~ The bathrooms are somewhat small, but again, being uni accommodation you expect that.

In the room you will indeed have your own little fridge for food storage. The kitchens (Communal to your flat of around 8 or so people) comprises oven, freezer, sink, cupboards, TV, toaster and a hoover. Generally keep that all in good condition cause if anything breaks, naturally you're asked to replace it. Or you can be like my flat when our toaster broke, which was be too cheap to buy a new one so toasted our bread in the grill every morning :lol:

Around about GDS, you'll have the smoking area, washing room (Which contains washing machines and dryers), computer room (Which is just that, the study area), a common room which contains a TV (Where if no one is using it, people are free to hook up games consoles, watch films etc) sofas, pool table, table tennis table. You can give in your keys or student card in exchange for pool balls/cues/table tennis balls/rackets, or board games (For some reason they have board games).

Unless regulations have changed, you've always been able to sign in 3 people to visit throughout the day, or sign in 1 person to stay the night, even if they don't attend KCL. So it wasn't uncommon for us to have your flatmates each sign one of your friends if you had multiple people visiting :tongue:

Sainsburys is literally opposite which is a god send, Co-Op at the end of the road, and Lidl about a 20 min walkaway. Located on the same street are the Roebuck and Dover Castle, two pubs people often go to quite a bit (Dover Castle especially is seens as a 'KCL student pub' and is often where you watch sports). I walk fast, so I can reach Guys Campus in around 5 minutes, but I think it's around a 7 minute walk which is nice and close if you study there.

The negatives? The heating system is very..weird. You can turn on your heater but it turns off automatically after 25 minutes I believe. So winters are cold (Bring a portable heater or something). Reception/security guards are very hit and miss. Some nights they're pretty chill, others they proper clamp down on the noise if you're partying too loud. Finally, the WiFi from time to time shudders to a halt (I guess you can expect that given however many students are using it).

As I say, I'm biased in that I loved it.

Latest