Turn on thread page Beta

Getting motivation for uni, or shouldn't I? watch

ReputationRep:
    I've done 3 days of uni and have already decided it wasn't worth going in today because it was just a library induction thing. But I've already realised something that's really eating at me- I just don't care.

I literally do not care about uni, or my course. It's vaguely related to an interest and would get me a half-decent job down the road which I would regard as 'okay'- it's not exactly motivation. I don't really like the place or the atmosphere, and for the first time I don't even feel like I want to prove anything to my instructors, I don't really care what they think of me. The thought of spending 3 years in the same goddamn place is depressing as hell. It bothers me every day, every time I have time to stop and think, I feel like I'm going down the wrong road, that I've just taken the path of least-resistance away from my dreams which I'll never achieve.

If anything, these last few days at university have given me lots of motivation to put more work into starting a business, I've been spending every bit of free time working on the thing, that's something I care about, but I lack the funds.

I'm at a juncture here. I've done 'head down brain off' before, if I tried, I could probably get myself motivated for uni and go for it, but I'm really scared to do so, I don't want to waste 3 years of my life and all that money. I'm scared I'm going to last a year and drop out, again, wasting my time. But I already took a gap year, I'm worried I'm getting a reputation as a quitter or rake.

But, you know, I used to love walking. Out in the country where it's all quiet, or at night, I used to really enjoy my own company and enjoying the world. Now I hate it, I've either got to be in company, be busy doing something, or too drunk or tired to care, because whenever I'm alone with my thoughts this is what I face, and I can never be sure I'm doing the right thing.

ReputationRep:
    shame, you should've visited the uni before you applied for it...

ReputationRep:
    I think you should talk to your university or personal tutor about how you feel. Its Good that you're having these thoughts now rather than in third year. I always think it's important to listen to yourself, you know whats best and you definitely shouldnt do what makes you unhappy. What is your dream job?
    Its great you're thinking about a business.. if you decide to start one you can get a £10,000 business loan from the government to start you off

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hevachan)
    I think you should talk to your university or personal tutor about how you feel. Its Good that you're having these thoughts now rather than in third year. I always think it's important to listen to yourself, you know whats best and you definitely shouldnt do what makes you unhappy. What is your dream job?
    Its great you're thinking about a business.. if you decide to start one you can get a £10,000 business loan from the government to start you off
    I plan to give it at least a week of actual study before I do anything like that. I don't want to be the guy who turns up and is straight in the support system after a few days! The problem is I really don't know what's best. Sticking at it might be best, or dropping it might be, I can't say for sure, and that's what's annoying me!

My dream job would be to work in brewing or distilling. I know it probably sounds like some kid who just likes beer looking for some kind of easy ride, but I'm seriously into it from designing entire systems, the biochemisty of it and I don't even mind the cleaning. I'm looking to start up a meadery, it's a smaller investment than a full on brewery, and as I see it, an untapped market, everybody who tries it loves it, but there's no decent commercial mead in the UK. I'm quite aware that most of my job would be cleaning, labelling and paperwork, but I don't mind that when it's all for something I love. Looking over legislation on the subject is about as boring as it gets, but I'm pouring time into it.

£10K is pretty much what I need to start up by my calculations, that offsets the equipment, buying the bulk ingredients and the written off rent while I wait for it to age before I can start selling. The problem is, if it doesn't succeed, I've gone all in. I then have a loan I need to pay off without interest and no qualifications above A-Levels to fall back on.

It's a case of my head telling me it's safest to stick through uni for security, but I'm worried I won't make it and my heart says to go for my passion. I'm researching at the moment the possibility of drastically changing the scale and starting off producing it on a small scale at home to local pubs, off-licences, farmshops and the like which I could perhaps do alongside uni to start with as my biggest cost, rent, is a non-issue. The problem is, it's probably actually more work than starting up a full-on operation!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawn_o1)
    shame, you should've visited the uni before you applied for it...
    I did, but it never really gives you a full feel of the place. But I can deal with the uni, the work and all the crap that goes with it if I'm sure I'm doing the right thing, and I'm really starting to think I'm not.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.