Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Been asked to write 150 words about poem I like, I don't really read poetry so if anyone could recommended some poets, and what sort of thing should I write about 'why I like it?'
    -Due tomorrow so need help ASAP.

ReputationRep:
    Here's a few: Shakespeare, Keats, Yeats, Shelley, Byron, Owen, Angelou, Armitage, Eliot, Wordsworth, Poe, Blake, Tennyson, Wilde, Heaney.

Write about what you like about the poem, why you like it, how it makes you feel, and why you have specifically selected that poem.

ReputationRep:
    How about 'Stealing' by Carol Ann Duffy?
    First line:
    'The most unusual thing I ever stole? A snowman.'
    (You can find it online).

Most people like that one, because it's not too poetic and quite cool. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arkasia)
    Here's a few: Shakespeare, Keats, Yeats, Shelley, Byron, Owen, Angelou, Armitage, Eliot, Wordsworth, Poe, Blake, Tennyson, Wilde, Heaney.

Write about what you like about the poem, why you like it, how it makes you feel, and why you have specifically selected that poem.
    lmfao, the thought of him reading Eliot for his 150 word write up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by banterboy)
    It's a she lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 10studentlife)
    It's a she lol
    oh lol.

I advise doing something like "futility" and you'll get easy notes from google about the techniques in it and stuff.

ReputationRep:
    Carol Ann Duffy has some great poems that have tons to write about. Google her! Pick a poem and then google an analysis and use that as the basis for your homework.

ReputationRep:
    Been asked to write 150 words about poem I like, I don't really read poetry so if anyone could recommended some poets, and what sort of thing should I write about 'why I like it?'
    -Due tomorrow so need help ASAP.
    One of my favourite short poems. Enjoy

The Reading Mother

I had a Mother who read me things
    That wholesome life to a child's heart brings –
    Stories that stir with an upward touch
    Oh that every Mother were such!

You may have tangible wealth untold
    Caskets of jewels and coffers of gold.
    Richer than I you can never be.
    I had a Mother who read to me.

by Strickland Gillilan

ReputationRep:
    She could easily do a 12 line extract of the famous verse from The Wasteland, or Preludes, or Morning at the Window. Eliot's not that hard to get into.

ReputationRep:
    She could easily do a 12 line extract of the famous verse from The Wasteland, or Preludes, or Morning at the Window. Eliot's not that hard to get into.
    Anyone doing a 150 word homework and choosing their own poem is like in year 8.

ReputationRep:
    When you say 'why you like it' what they're asking you to do is perhaps show some level of being able to analyse the construction of a poem and how that contributes to the overall feel, shape and meaning. Pick any poem. Any poem. You don't actually have to like it, just engage with it and try and explain what the mechanics of it are.

ReputationRep:
    True, so someone with easier poems like Shakespeare/Kipling/Wordsworth then?

ReputationRep:
    True, so someone with easier poems like Shakespeare/Kipling/Wordsworth then?
    This girl jst wants to do her homework quickly without thinking about it, so as i said above, easy war poem and google.

ReputationRep:
    Go on the buttonpoetry or slamfind youtube channel (they have contemporary spoken word poets). I think if you watch a couple videos and pick one that stands out to you then it will seem a lot more real & impressive to a teacher (like 'wow! this student actually watches new poets!') My favourites are Melissa Lozada-Oliva - "Like Totally Whatever" (NPS 2015), Fatimah Asghar - "Pluto Sh*ts on the Universe", and Neil Hilborn - OCD.
    If you want an older poet, I suggest Walt Whitman, his poems are really feelgood & relatable. Or perhaps Allen Ginsberg (beatnik yeaaah!). I wouldn't go too old, unless you really do like the poem.

Why do you like it? What stands out about it? A poet has total control over their poem - did you think the structure of the poem was good. What are your views on the subject of the poem (is the poet 'correct in their views'). Picking out specific lines & analysing the meaning should be done. Just pick out things like tone, language style (direct, fancy, simplistic, yadda yadda yadda).

This is why I suggest a contemporary slam poet, because they'll often be about subjects you care about & you can see the poet's emotion.

ReputationRep:
    op has probs done her hw now

ReputationRep:
    I'm not in year 8 I just started my A Levels

ReputationRep:
    Really? That's the ****ing easiest homework you're gonna get lol

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I know!

ReputationRep:
    lel

ReputationRep:
    u prlly did ur hwk, but analyse a haiku fam

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 17, 2015
Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.