Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys .
    i came across this question today and I'm not sure if i explained it well enough or not. can someone check the answer and let me know if I'm in the right path thanks.
    Question: in an investigation to find out the type of radiation emitted by a radioactive source, a Geiger tube was placed near the source and it's count rate was significantly more than background count rate. when an aluminium plate was placed between the source and the tube,the count rate was reduced but it was still significantly more than the background rate.
    what can be concluded from these observations?
    My answer : absorption would be less without the plate and that's why the count rate is significantly high but when we place the plate absorption will increase so the count rate decreases but it's still more than background count rate because there's no absorption takes place without the plate and that would be the maximum amount of count rate.

ReputationRep:
    You haven't answered the question. "in an investigation to find out the type of radiation emitted by a radioactive source"

IIRC, alpha radiation is stopped by paper, beta by aluminium and gamma by lead.

So can't you also come to a conclusion about the type of radiation?

ReputationRep:
    Would it be x-rays which is responsible for that?well the question asked something else, does it have to do anything with thickness and intensity of the source?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alen.m)
    Would it be x-rays which is responsible for that?well the question asked something else, does it have to do anything with thickness and intensity of the source?
    Who said anything about X-rays? They are not mentioned in the question you gave, nor are thickness and intensity of the source, just reference to a sheet of aluminium.

I have given you everything you need to answer the question you gave, other than write out the words for you.

Did you not get told about the types of radiation and how they are different?

ReputationRep:
    the thing is im self studiyng A2 physic so yeah i havent been told many of things unfortunately but im guessing it's got something to do with alpha radiation range?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 18, 2015

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.