Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Once I graduate I want to undertake a summer internship.

However it seems as if most banks only offer summer internships to penultimate year students.

Does anyone know of any banks that accept third years to do a summer internship?

ReputationRep:
    Why would you apply for a summer internship once you graduate rather than a full time internship or a full time analyst position? At this stage your chances of getting either one are the same

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Potato)
    Why would you apply for a summer internship once you graduate rather than a full time internship or a full time analyst position? At this stage your chances of getting either one are the same
    this is just NOT true haha.

A lot of banks recruit mostly out of previous intern classes. This is particularly the case for American BB.

The "easiest" way to secure a FT offer is through an internship.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ducar111)
    this is just NOT true haha.

A lot of banks recruit mostly out of previous intern classes. This is particularly the case for American BB.

The "easiest" way to secure a FT offer is through an internship.
    I'm not arguing with you there. Banks fill in a huge percetange of their grad positions by recruiting people who did well in a summer internship. But we are talking about penultimate year students who filled these summer internships in almost all cases, not final years.

From my experience with the people that I know working in BAML and RBS, he should apply for a full time internship or analyst position at this stage for most investment banks. It might be acceptable for a few like JPM (I think) to apply for a summer internship, but this is NOT the case for most banks.

ReputationRep:
    I have to say that I could not disagree more with the advice you have been given. You are extremely unlikely to get a grad position as you stand. You will be competing with people who will be much much better than you on paper, and it doesn't sound like you will dominate at interview. Apply for internships. Almost every bank will offer internship to final years.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Classic thread which will lead someone to screw up.

Have no IB experience in and final year: Apply for all banks for internships, the ones that do not take final years, state you are doing a masters.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 26, 2015
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.