Turn on thread page Beta

How to get over this crush on a married man? watch

Announcements

I've recently started a postgraduate course, and i'm in my mid 20s. There is a foreign guy there who looks about 40 ish. He's married, and has a young child. It wasn't an instant thing, but I've realised he's really funny and cute, and I kind of have a thing for foreign guys lol, but anyway I know it's wholly inappropriate, as he's married with a child.
    I'm therefore not even putting into question does he like me back etc.
    The problem is that I have to see him nearly every day now and do group work with him. I'm trying my best not to make it obvious or anything like that. Does anyone have any ideas as to how I could get over it?
    It'd be easier if I didn't have to see him all the time lol. Has anyone else ever had a similar experience ,and what did you do? Thanks

pm

bump

ReputationRep:
    He's married and he has a child. He probably won't be interested in you and if he is interested in you, then frankly he's not the kind of man you should have time for anyway.

Plenty of people have got over other silly crushes (on celebrities or teachers) and you will do the same. Think about his wife and that should help you realise that you should leave this guy alone.

yeah I think just thinking about the wife will help. I feel really bad even though i've never flirted or anything and have absolutely no intention of acting on it. I suppose it just happens.. thanks

ReputationRep:
    Plumstone has this one. Also, think about if you were in the wife's shoes, or you became his gf if he were single and another girl started making moves on him at uni. You wouldn't be too happy. That should be enough to get you to steer clear.

ReputationRep:
    try meeting other people, its just a crush, try to keep busy, it will go away

(Original post by Danz123)
    Plumstone has this one. Also, think about if you werr in the wife's shoes, or you became his gf if he were single and another girl started making moves on him at uni. You wouldn't be too happy. That should be enough to get you to steer clear.
    You always give the best advice :daydreaming:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    You always give the best advice :daydreaming:
    Aww well that's very sweet of you. Thank you.

Yeah, I just want to make it clear I have absolutely no interest of trying to 'get' him or anything like that, especially since that happened to me with my ex bf and another girl. I suppose it will pass eventually, the only thing I was worried about was him guessing based on me going red or whatever in front of him, and because we're coursemates, it'd be awkward. I think it's best if I just try not to worry too much and it'll pass thanks for the replies

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I just want to make it clear I have absolutely no interest of trying to 'get' him or anything like that, especially since that happened to me with my ex bf and another girl.
    Okay, fair enough. I just wanted to make sure that you weren't going to try to be a homewrecker or anything like that.

I suppose it will pass eventually, the only thing I was worried about was him guessing based on me going red or whatever in front of him, and because we're coursemates, it'd be awkward. I think it's best if I just try not to worry too much and it'll pass
    Yes, it will pass. It's perfectly normal for this kind of thing to happen (it happens frequently with school teachers, for example) - this man stands out from the crowd because he's older, wiser, has more life experience and probably makes the other guys look like immature boys in comparison.

My best advice would be to think of him as a normal human being and avoid romanticising him in your mind. Good luck

(Original post by Danz123)
    Plumstone has this one.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plumstone)
    Thanks
    You're welcome

Thanks Oh no, I wouldn't dream of such a thing.. I just wanted tips on how to hide it and hopefully forget it.
    I think the best thing is just to admit to myself that it's just a harmless little crush. Apparently a couple of the other girls have also said the same thing about him.
    I think the thing about him being older and more experienced is true..
    anyway, I have so many crushes that come and go, it'll probably be someone else by next week lol

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 19, 2015
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.