Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Most people so far appear fairly certain that Texas teenager Ahmed Mohamed was the victim of racial and religious profiling. Everybody just 'knows' this happened to him because he was Muslim, it seems. We are aware that a stereotype exists, therefore to many it apparently serves as the only satisfactory explanation.

But my question is this: How do you know? Can we actually verify that it really was to do with his ethnicity? What else can we compare it to? US school students have experienced harsh and unnecessary actions for harmless incidents on many occasions. For example, there was that girl in South Carolina suspended for having a butter knife in her locker, and that boy (also from S. Carolina) searched and questioned by police after writing a fictional story (involving a dinosaur) in which he possessed a firearm. Both of these incidents, among others which occurred in the last two years, involved children that were white and non-Muslim. However, had these incidents involved Arab, Muslim children, I expect everybody would have also 'known' that it was because they were Muslim.

Now, am I denying that Ahmed was a victim of profiling? No, not necessarily - it's a valid possibility. But that's all it is right now: a possibility. What I am contesting here is the immediate jumping to a conclusion and apparent certainty many people have that this must have occurred for no other reason than because he was Muslim, despite the fact it is quite plausible that his ethnicity and religion were totally irrelevant factors (the kid doesn't exactly look like the 'stereotypical' Muslim terrorist, for one). Sometimes stupid things just happen - even to Muslims.

The clock:

ReputationRep:
    Maybe it is an odd occurrence for kids to bring in self made gadgets to school? In America, people are very aware of terrorism and are potentially too willing to report anything they think is a bomb. This probably isn't helped by films/tv programmes which all seem to depict terrorists as being experts in homemade devices.
    What I am saying is that Americans may be too enthusiastic in their suspicion of terrorism.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    However, i do believe the boy was a victim of racial profiling.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it was religious and/or racial profiling, but I don't see how that's necessarily a bad thing. If one particular demographic is disproportionately more likely than another to commit a crime, then it's only common sense for members of that demographic to be disproportionately suspected.

That clock does indeed look like a bomb at first glance. The teacher in this case was perfectly justified in calling the police, so long as she then apologised afterwards. A false alarm is infinitely preferable to the possibility of there being a real bomb.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arbolus)
    Yes, it was religious and/or racial profiling, but I don't see how that's necessarily a bad thing. If one particular demographic is disproportionately more likely than another to commit a crime, then it's only common sense for members of that demographic to be disproportionately suspected.

That clock does indeed look like a bomb at first glance. The teacher in this case was perfectly justified in calling the police, so long as she then apologised afterwards. A false alarm is infinitely preferable to the possibility of there being a real bomb.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    But if it was a White Christian, the police probably won't have been called

ReputationRep:
    To call it racial or religious profiling would imply that he was stopped and searched with little or nothing else to go on.

The fact is, though, that only the noise the device made in class sparked off an investigation by his teacher That teacher can hardly be blamed, when confronted with a mess of wires, for thinking the worst and was legally charged with the safety of the whole class so a proper investigation was inevitable at that point.

The whole incident is a storm in a teacup: mysterious device found; perpetrator detained and investigated; exonerated and released; end of incident. But then we get the aftermath: politically-minded parents get cute and desire publicity or compensation; press furore; president invites him to stay. Ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScienceFantatic)
    But if it was a White Christian, the police probably won't have been called
    Even if not, so what? There's no room for political correctness when it's potentially a matter of life or death.

Ahmed was arrested because he had a device which looked suspicious. He was released without charge when it turned out it wasn't. Those are the only facts which matter in this story.

ReputationRep:
    I don't want to deny that islamophobia and racism is A MASSIVE DEAL in the USA, I lived there. It's really bad there. Profiling is common and often ignored & can lead to institutionalised violence against marginalised people.
    However, as I said, I did like in the USA, I went to an American Elementary school, middle school, and two years of high school. School was very paranoid & panicked. Not just about bombs, but about school shootings. My school had lockdown drills every quarter, we also had a team of security guards...and I lived in the suburbs of Connecticut...Imagine Texas! We had a white kid at my school in eighth grade was questioned intensely because he was talking about Call of Duty and someone thought he wanted to attack the school with a gun. But then Maybe we've been trained or brainwashed into this idon't know.
    It's terrible that Ahmed was arrested & treated inhumanely. I don't know the situation that well and knowing the US his religion and race probably did influence his arrest. I'm just saying
    It's good we have social media though, now this kid has loads of support and job offers that never would've happened if not for this incident. I don't really know what to think, but I'm glad this ordeal worked out in his favour.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.