Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello, thanks for entering my thread

This thread is regarding whether or not I am able to be 'done' for plagiarism if I copy my own personal statement.

Here's some brief context:
    • I am applying in my gap year for a Mathematics degree and am currently in the process of writing a personal statement.
    • However, during my A2, I applied for Chemical Eng.
    • For obvious reasons I will not be copying the aspects on why I am studying the course into my new personal statement, but I may copy the generic 'about me' stuff.

So would this be regarded as plagiarism?

All comments are well appreciated
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by mubmoh)
    Hello, thanks for entering my thread

This thread is regarding whether or not I am able to be 'done' for plagiarism if I copy my own personal statement.

Here's some brief context:
    • I am applying in my gap year for a Mathematics degree and am currently in the process of writing a personal statement.
    • However, during my A2, I applied for Chemical Eng.
    • For obvious reasons I will not be copying the aspects on why I am studying the course into my new personal statement, but I may copy the generic 'about me' stuff.

So would this be regarded as plagiarism?

All comments are well appreciated
    UCAS plagiarism detection has 2 stages.

Your PS would trip the first stage as containing sentences similar to another statement - but the second stage is that a person looks at the two statements to identify if there is an issue. At the second stage it would be clear that the similarity is to your previous PS and so your universities wouldn't be notified of the match.

ReputationRep:
    No, I called UCAS about this as I had the same problem, it is self plagiarism but the system will not do anything about it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    UCAS plagiarism detection has 2 stages.

Your PS would trip the first stage as containing sentences similar to another statement - but the second stage is that a person looks at the two statements to identify if there is an issue. At the second stage it would be clear that the similarity is to your previous PS and so your universities wouldn't be notified of the match.
    (Original post by michael12)
    No, I called UCAS about this as I had the same problem, it is self plagiarism but the system will not do anything about it
    Thanks, I guess the copying can begin!

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources
Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.