SlimShady96
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi, I want to study economics or international business at uni, these unis I will be applying to for sure:

Sheffield - Economics and Russian - AAB
Brunel - International Business - AAB-BBB
City - Economics 340 points

However last year the grades I achieved were:

Politics - C
History - D (1 mark of a C)
Economics - U

Also I have decent GCSEs including B's in English and maths.

This year I will be doing the full a-level Russian and my predicted grades will be:

Russian: A*
History: B
Politics: C
Economics (AS): C
Maybe (AS) level 3 Finance: C

As I got a U in economics, have no maths a-level and want to do economics at uni has this severely hindered my chances? Are these unis I have my eyes on worth applying to? Applying with the current grades I have they don't look good but my predicted are, will they buy this and give me an offer?

Thanks!
SamuelSingleton
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The U might hold you back considering degree is a step up from A Levels, however I know that you don't even need to study economics at a levels to progress to university. Nor do you need maths either (other than C/B or above at GCSE)

The only thing really holding you back is your grades and predicted grades, all those universities would receive a high number of applicants so if you don't meet their requirements you might not be offered a place - you should also look to consider some ABC universities to secure an offer, or ask to get a better prediction.

it's very risky applying to AAB uni when you're not predicted to achieve that, they may not even consider you unfortunately
SlimShady96
Rep:
?
(Original post by SamuelSingleton)
The U might hold you back considering degree is a step up from A Levels, however I know that you don't even need to study economics at a levels to progress to university. Nor do you need maths either (other than C/B or above at GCSE)

The only thing really holding you back is your grades and predicted grades, all those universities would receive a high number of applicants so if you don't meet their requirements you might not be offered a place - you should also look to consider some ABC universities to secure an offer, or ask to get a better prediction.

it's very risky applying to AAB uni when you're not predicted to achieve that, they may not even consider you unfortunately
when I emailed Sheffield they said that A*BB is the same as AAB, Sheffield will be the only AAB one I'll be applying to, I know it's a long shot but that's why I'm settling for economics with Russian as they may want more speakers and one of the requirements is specifically to have a modern language a-level which I will, so in this way am I right in thinking that will have a chance? Also what is an 'ABC' uni? Are you referring to just points?
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by SlimShady96)
Hi, I want to study economics or international business at uni, these unis I will be applying to for sure:

Sheffield - Economics and Russian - AAB
Brunel - International Business - AAB-BBB
City - Economics 340 points

However last year the grades I achieved were:

Politics - C
History - D (1 mark of a C)
Economics - U

Also I have decent GCSEs including B's in English and maths.

This year I will be doing the full a-level Russian and my predicted grades will be:

Russian: A*
History: B
Politics: C
Economics (AS): C
Maybe (AS) level 3 Finance: C

As I got a U in economics, have no maths a-level and want to do economics at uni has this severely hindered my chances? Are these unis I have my eyes on worth applying to? Applying with the current grades I have they don't look good but my predicted are, will they buy this and give me an offer?

Thanks!
Your chances are not great, tbh. Your best predicted grade is your native language so might be discounted. Your U in Economics will also need some explaining and your lack of Maths won't help for straight Economics in many unis.

Perhaps consider a post-A2 application?
SlimShady96
Rep:
?
(Original post by ageshallnot)
Your chances are not great, tbh. Your best predicted grade is your native language so might be discounted. Your U in Economics will also need some explaining and your lack of Maths won't help for straight Economics in many unis.

Perhaps consider a post-A2 application?
Well they said Russian will be taken as one of the 3 grades as I have lived here from a very early age, it is abit of a mess but I can't stay here another year, should of been at uni this year but in my first year I got 3 U's, I was a mess, and had a lot of personal issues so I just smoked weed and didn't do anything, also I did this in school and breezed through GCSEs without doing any work and bunking off school but a-levels are a completely different ball game as we all know.
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Well they said Russian will be taken as one of the 3 grades as I have lived here from a very early age, it is abit of a mess but I can't stay here another year, should of been at uni this year but in my first year I got 3 U's, I was a mess, and had a lot of personal issues so I just smoked weed and didn't do anything, also I did this in school and breezed through GCSEs without doing any work and bunking off school but a-levels are a completely different ball game as we all know.
So you went from UUU in your first year of AS to CDU in your second year at AS? OK, that's progress but not great progress tbh.

Are you sure that you are ready for university now? What has changed?
SlimShady96
Rep:
?
So you went from UUU in your first year of AS to CDU in your second year at AS? OK, that's progress but not great progress tbh.

Are you sure that you are ready for university now? What has changed?
To be honest anyone will get UUU if don't go in and don't do any work, second half of last year around February time I started trying but this year I'm gona try from September that's what's changed.If I don't get any good offers but get those grades then I can do adjustment and get into a decent uni right?
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
To be honest anyone will get UUU if don't go in and don't do any work, second half of last year around February time I started trying but this year I'm gona try from September that's what's changed.If I don't get any good offers but get those grades then I can do adjustment and get into a decent uni right?
You can try Adjustment if you exceed your firm offer, whether it's high or low.

It's already more than halfway through Sept... How's it going?
SlimShady96
Rep:
?
You can try Adjustment if you exceed your firm offer, whether it's high or low.

It's already more than halfway through Sept... How's it going?
Well my lessons only started this week and today was a non pupil day so we're just settling in to like our first lessons and that sort of thing lol
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Well my lessons only started this week and today was a non pupil day so we're just settling in to like our first lessons and that sort of thing lol
Which is greater... Joints consumed or lessons attended???
SlimShady96
Rep:
?
Which is greater... Joints consumed or lessons attended???
Hahaha, I would have to say lessons attended, I do like to have a good time, but it is all under control I go to every lesson, study session and try do all my work lol
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hahaha, I would have to say lessons attended, I do like to have a good time, but it is all under control I go to every lesson, study session and try do all my work lol
It's all about finding that balance.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (138)
17.72%
It's just nice to be back! (210)
26.96%
Not great so far... (280)
35.94%
I want to drop out! (151)
19.38%

Watched Threads