anoymous1111
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Why does thermodynamic stability increase as entropy increases?

Posted from TSR Mobile
charco
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by anoymous1111)
Why does thermodynamic stability increase as entropy increases?

Posted from TSR Mobile
To understand the answer to this question fully you need to understand the concept of probability and disorder.

The universe does not make "choices" as regards the processes that occur, it simply moves in the direction of the most probable event.

When the number of possible microstates (arrangements of particles and energy) increases then the universe is overwhelmingly more likely to adopt this arrangement.

A reaction that increases its number of particles or releases energy into its surroundings has the effect of increasing the number of possible microstates - we call the sum of these microstates "entropy".
anoymous1111
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by charco)
To understand the answer to this question fully you need to understand the concept of probability and disorder.

The universe does not make "choices" as regards the processes that occur, it simply moves in the direction of the most probable event.

When the number of possible microstates (arrangements of particles and energy) increases then the universe is overwhelmingly more likely to adopt this arrangement.

A reaction that increases its number of particles or releases energy into its surroundings has the effect of increasing the number of possible microstates - we call the sum of these microstates "entropy".
So thermodynamic stability has increased because the reaction has resulted in more disorder, therefore is less likely to react again because disorder cannot be increased again?

I understand what your saying, but why does stability increase?

Posted from TSR Mobile
charco
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by anoymous1111)
So thermodynamic stability has increased because the reaction has resulted in more disorder, therefore is less likely to react again because disorder cannot be increased again?

I understand what your saying, but why does stability increase?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Define "stability".

The tendency to resist change.

If a system arrives at a (universal) entropic minimum there is no tendency to change.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University for the Creative Arts
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    Sun, 20 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (101)
68.24%
No I haven't decided yet (27)
18.24%
Yes but I might change my mind (20)
13.51%

Watched Threads