Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Special Consideration Question... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi, i am doing AS levels currently in Maths (edexcelP1, M1, S1), Chemistry (edexcel nuffield), Biology (OCR), and Psychology (AQA). +general studies which doesn't count :-p

I just did P1 today. Trouble is, a close relative of mine has just yesterday lost her battle against cancer. All throughout study leave i have had to visit relatives, visit her in the hospice as much as possible and comfort my parents/sisters...it has really taken a lot out of me and my revision in the vital few weeks leading up to my exams has suffered really badly.

Unfortunately, im not the world most contientious student (cAnt even spell very well ;-) ) and i have not worked hard enough through the year to pull off my exams well enough to get the grades i need to fulfill my ambition. (psychiatry-ANYWHERE!) E.G. chemistry tomorrow, what am i going to do??

I have A's in my chem practicals and bio coursework. My mechanics, psychology and Biology exams went ok i think, but last night i heared the news about my relative, and we had family round my house to talk and reminisce, and i didin't get to revise at all. Today in my pure maths exam, i couldn't stop crying and sympathetic looks from teachers just make it so much harder to stop!! I missed out so many questions because i couldn't think straight and simply could not remember!! I answered most and am confident i got over 50%!! lol but that is NOT good enough, it simply isn't.

I have been told that i wil be getting 'special consideration' for bereavement, for my pure maths exam, chem tomorrow and stats on friday - but what does this mean?? Does anyone know? does anyone else have it? Im pretty sure - its a cruel world - this still means my ambitions etc are crushed. Why this week? of all weeks? :-( Why at all.

!!!

ReputationRep:
    basically the examiner will mark it more leaniently ( SP )

ReputationRep:
    I was offered this over GCSE...I didn't take it. It's really up to you, and I know that AS levels are more important, but I just kept thinking that my grades would mean less with special concideration. Plus I know that in real life, bad things happen and you have to carry on - you don't always get 'special conciderations' in real life.

Best of luck in whatever you decide, maybe you could talk to a tutor about it, as they probably know more about it.

ReputationRep:
    i had special considerationlasy year due to illness,
    in other words, they mark your paper as usual but if ur mark is considerably below what u are predicted, they may decide to boost it up, due to the fact that u wouldnt be working to the best of ur ability.....but say ur predicted an 'a' and u get a 'b' instead, theylll prob keep it the same. if you get a d when ur predicted an a, they'll ur work has obviously been affect and will consider boosting ur grade.
    so i was told last year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quaylie)
    i had special considerationlasy year due to illness,
    in other words, they mark your paper as usual but if ur mark is considerably below what u are predicted, they may decide to boost it up, due to the fact that u wouldnt be working to the best of ur ability.....but say ur predicted an 'a' and u get a 'b' instead, theylll prob keep it the same. if you get a d when ur predicted an a, they'll ur work has obviously been affect and will consider boosting ur grade.
    so i was told last year.
    Really is this possible, cos a fortnight ago. During my UNIT3 psychology exam, In the last 20 minutes I ran out of the room and was sick. So I didnt get to finish the paper and therefore wont get the A, I was after. Ive done good, on the rest (A's and B's.) But I did get a C in UNIT 3 last year. Should I ask for special consideration?

ReputationRep:
    I think you should definately try - after all, this is the rest of your life, and if you were vomiting! That puts you at a disadvantage over everyone esle thet'll end up getting better university places! What i might do is no accept a different 'boosted' grade, but apply for special consideration so that when universities see your AS grade (which they will before retakes) they know the circumstances - otherwise they'll think you're retaking or whatever bwecause you didin't revise!!

Whatever you feel - but i dont really know what it involves, hense the question - the edexcel site seems to be down

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlueAngel)
    Really is this possible, cos a fortnight ago. During my UNIT3 psychology exam, In the last 20 minutes I ran out of the room and was sick. So I didnt get to finish the paper and therefore wont get the A, I was after. Ive done good, on the rest (A's and B's.) But I did get a C in UNIT 3 last year. Should I ask for special consideration?
    I think if you're ill during an exam you're still required to get a Medical Certificate from a qualified person, so if your school nurse can verify it you may get consideration.

A friend of mine was given consideration during her GCSEs as she's had a very serious OP the day before and should have been on hospital on fluids etc, and she literally went straight back to hospital after exam.

Usually, they won't just accept word that you were ill or suffering a bereavement, but require some sort of written document usually from a doctor. If you feel your circumstances warrant special consideration then the best thing to do is to speak to your exams officer.

ReputationRep:
    so wat happens to some1 who misses their exam cuz of illness.. like theyre in hospital or summin?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dust)
    so wat happens to some1 who misses their exam cuz of illness.. like theyre in hospital or summin?
    The examiners give a grade based on other parts of the exam and coursework etc.

ReputationRep:
    Well as you're only doing your AS levels at the mo, then you always have the oppurtunity to retake your modules next year. Maybe contact possible universities to see if they will give you an interview bearing in mind your circumstances.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wizadora)
    The examiners give a grade based on other parts of the exam and coursework etc.
    does that mean theyd get their predicted grade?

(and no i aint plannin anythin )

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.