Turn on thread page Beta

Do I have a chance? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I just wanted to know people's opinions on me having a chance of getting an offer from these Unis with these entry grades for Mathematics.

Exeter - A*AA-AAB
    Leeds - AAA or A*AB
    Newcastle - AAB or A*BB or A*AC
    Liverpool - ABB

In my AS' I got

BBBC in Maths, Biology, Psychology and History. I've dropped Psychology.

I think my predictions may be ABB or if I am lucky ABA in Maths, Biology and History, but most probably ABB. Should I bother applying for these universities or should I settle for BBB/BBC unis.

Btw, I'm applying for deferred entry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben4)
    I just wanted to know people's opinions on me having a chance of getting an offer from these Unis with these entry grades for Mathematics.

Exeter - A*AA-AAB
    Leeds - AAA or A*AB
    Newcastle - AAB or A*BB or A*AC
    Liverpool - ABB

In my AS' I got

BBBC in Maths, Biology, Psychology and History. I've dropped Psychology.

I think my predictions may be ABB or if I am lucky ABA in Maths, Biology and History, but most probably ABB. Should I bother applying for these universities or should I settle for BBB/BBC unis.

Btw, I'm applying for deferred entry.
    There's no harm in having a reach option or two on your application, but I wouldn't apply to all four, as you do risk getting 4 rejections. If you aren't sitting further maths, that will weaken your application compared to those who are as well.

Being predicted an A for a subject you got a C grade in at AS may not be seen as realistic by some universities.

It's also worth bearing in mind Exeter's lower offers are contextual, i.e. for those from a disadvantaged background or with extenuating circumstances. If neither of these apply to you, you would be looking at an A*AA offer, if you got one at all.

Most unis are not keen on deferred entry for maths, unless you're doing some maths study on your year out. You'd be a much stronger applicant if you maybe applied on your gap year with better A2 grades while taking further maths on your gap year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SlowlorisIncognito)
    There's no harm in having a reach option or two on your application, but I wouldn't apply to all four, as you do risk getting 4 rejections. If you aren't sitting further maths, that will weaken your application compared to those who are as well.

Being predicted an A for a subject you got a C grade in at AS may not be seen as realistic by some universities.

It's also worth bearing in mind Exeter's lower offers are contextual, i.e. for those from a disadvantaged background or with extenuating circumstances. If neither of these apply to you, you would be looking at an A*AA offer, if you got one at all.

Most unis are not keen on deferred entry for maths, unless you're doing some maths study on your year out. You'd be a much stronger applicant if you maybe applied on your gap year with better A2 grades while taking further maths on your gap year.
    Thanks for the advise! Yes im planning to selfstudy FM during my gap year and was going to apply during my gap year anyway, thats why im not really bothered about getting rejections. I attend a sixth form in the 40% worst a level grades, is that a basis towards a contextual offer? My sixth form are wanting everyone to apply this year as they are paying so.. what ones do you suggest I apply to?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.