The Student Room Group

Iranian woman speaks out on the hideous attitudes towards women in Iran

It's amazing that the graun has published something which isn't just an account of how the world is from the perspective of a cosy north London flat, but here it is: http://www.theguardian.com/world/iran-blog

It affirms what any reasonable, truly liberal person already understands: that masses of sexual repression will only make people more desperate to have it.

These are countries which actually need feminism, although a sexual revolution would do a better job.
Reply 1
The Guardian is not a factual newspaper, it is more fantasy or propaganda.
This sounds like it should be in a paperback with a black cover on the best sellers isle of WH Smiths

Sometimes it is just stares. As I am walking down the street, I see him coming across me. He is several metres when I am already cringing. I lower my stare, or look away.

I want to close my manteau - the medium-length, light jacket worn by some Iranian women instead of chador - to avoid his snooping glare, but it’s too late. As I walk past him, I feel his piercing eyes looking for my breasts under my thick cloak, sizing up my figure with acute intensity. Riveted to my body, they follow me up until I feel them burning my back as he is already behind me. There isn’t even the slightest pretence of hiding: the ogling is unabashed, both nonchalant and full of aplomb.

Every so often, there are sounds. As he walks by, he turns his head towards me and slams his tongue against his palate. Or kisses the air loudly. There are so many shades of whistling, hissing, smacking, licking, puffing that I am amazed at the capacities of the human mouth. Sometimes it comes from behind me: a hiss directly in my ear. Sometimes it’s a last-second move as we walk past each other, like a snake suddenly sticking out its tongue. Every time, it is the same hideous expression of unhindered lust sending shivers through my spine.
This is very interesting.

Cat-calling and harassment are major issues across the world, including in the UK, but these issues seem to be pronounced in muslim countries (see: video from a few years ago of the Egyptian female student at university being followed by hordes of men).

I wonder what the causes of this are (in muslim countries particularly).

I think a few of the causes are alluded to in the article: single-sex education means that men and women are segregated from each other until they're adults; sexist laws emphasising "modesty" and forcing women to "cover up" in public, but not reciprocating such rules for men, leading to general sexist attitudes.

The root of the problem seems, to me, to be sexist men which hold the power and implement sexist policies: "This is a society made by and for men".

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending