Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I worked in a national park in New South Wales during my gap year (between undergread and masters so I was 21). I went by myself and it was fine. Then I travelled up the coast from Melbourne to Cairns by bus (with many stops. It took weeks.), learnt to dive and spent the rest of my time visit coral reefs. Backpackers are big business down under so there are lots of hostels. I would recommend you join a hostel association like YHA or VIP backpackers because they guarentee their hostels meet certain standards. Some of the independant hostels are great but some are really dodgy so only go to those which other back-packers recommend. It's more important to keep safe when you are travelling alone. The only places I didn't like were Canberra (nothing there) and Rockhampton (a strip mall in the bush). The pressure of diving cracked all my fillings so I can recommened a nice dentist in Townsville! (get dental insurance before you go!) I had an amazing time, couldn't recommened Australia more

ReputationRep:
    Wow that sounds great, thanks for your advice. Is getting around by bus the best way to do it then? I don't know if I'll be able to get a hire car because I'll only be 18 when I go, and sometimes they like you to be 21 for that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by babyballerina)
    The only places I didn't like were Canberra (nothing there) and Rockhampton (a strip mall in the bush). The pressure of diving cracked all my fillings so I can recommened a nice dentist in Townsville! (get dental insurance before you go!) I had an amazing time, couldn't recommened Australia more

I HATE Canberra I HATE it! Rockhampton is a hole and so is Townsville. My brother is cut becuase he has to go to Rockey for Basketball and stay with a host family there during the carnival. He keeps complaining that he has nightmares about eating possum...

Backpacking is probably the cheapest way to go... Getting around, you can get from Virgin Blue (depending on what time of the year you go) $30 tickets between eastern destinations. So sometimes plane, but Train is probably better, I dont know how you'd face 36 hours on a bus, sometimes people underestimate how big this country is

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Everdawn)
    Backpacking is probably the cheapest way to go... Getting around, you can get from Virgin Blue (depending on what time of the year you go) $30 tickets between eastern destinations. So sometimes plane, but Train is probably better, I dont know how you'd face 36 hours on a bus, sometimes people underestimate how big this country is
    Heh, I once spent 30 hours on a coach, driving from London to S.Italy... not the best time of my life! Train it is I reckon! Buses for shorter journeys I guess. So Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide, Perth and Darwin, Cairns I'm thinking, how does that sound?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellie4)
    Heh, I once spent 30 hours on a coach, driving from London to S.Italy... not the best time of my life! Train it is I reckon! Buses for shorter journeys I guess. So Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide, Perth and Darwin, Cairns I'm thinking, how does that sound?
    Swap Cairns with the Witsundays and Add Alice Springs, that way you can catch the Ghan from Darwin to Alice, then to Adelaide, straight down no worries.

ReputationRep:
    Wow I just found a flight for £500, that's great.
    Ok, that sounds good. Do you think I should fly into Sydney and start there? I really only want to see the cities, not much of the outback, so I suppose I'll just sorta go around the coast!

ReputationRep:
    Wow I just found a flight for £500, that's great.
    Ok, that sounds good. Do you think I should fly into Sydney and start there? I really only want to see the cities, not much of the outback, so I suppose I'll just sorta go around the coast!
    Oh! Boring!

OK then, there isnt much of a city in Darwin, so you could fly to Brisbane go round the coast, start that way and fly home from Adelaide. A bus from Brisvegas to Sydney wouldnt be too bad though that way you see all the stuff in between. But when in Brisbane take a day trip to the Gold Coast and go shopping, and Ill take you to Warner Brothers Movie World and Studios!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Everdawn)
    Oh! Boring!

OK then, there isnt much of a city in Darwin, so you could fly to Brisbane go round the coast, start that way and fly home from Adelaide. A bus from Brisvegas to Sydney wouldnt be too bad though that way you see all the stuff in between. But when in Brisbane take a day trip to the Gold Coast and go shopping, and Ill take you to Warner Brothers Movie World and Studios!
    Heh, well I can only be there for 2 months, so I want to get all the big cities in really. Thanks for all your help on this, I'm excited

ReputationRep:
    Where's the best place to see the reef from?

ReputationRep:
    The Whitsundays. For sure the nicest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serious narb)
    I wanna do this now

say i wanted to go to Australia for about 6 months or something, is it easy to do?

I thought Australia was one of the hardest places to get in to, regarding laws and stuff
    Dependin on whether you wanted a working visa or not.

ReputationRep:
    oh right, obviously I would have to do work over there in order to fund the travelling, would it be a problem if i just did part time bar work or something?
    I dont think you could unless, god theres some sort of visa that allows like, backpackers to work, I cant remember what its called. But what pays best here, people go and pick fruit, its better pay than pub work.

ReputationRep:
    Be careful if you're picking fruit and scared of spiders though!

ReputationRep:
    that sounds more of a plan

also pub ours are less sociable as you would be working when you want to be out having a laugh
    yeah I suppose, but if you go the way the others go, you get cash in hand at the end of the day and then you go have a drink at the local pub with your new mates!

ReputationRep:
    Be careful if you're picking fruit and scared of spiders though!
    Nah, not on a fruit farm! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Wow that sounds great, thanks for your advice. Is getting around by bus the best way to do it then? I don't know if I'll be able to get a hire car because I'll only be 18 when I go, and sometimes they like you to be 21 for that.
    My sister's going to australia and new zealand in december after she's finished uni and she's found a bus company which offers all kinds of tours of both countries where you can get off and stay for as long as you want at each stop. Some of the tours you fly one way and get the bus the other if you don't want to spend too long on a bus. I can't remember what the company is called but she's home this weekend so I can ask her if you like.

ReputationRep:
    I wanna do this now

say i wanted to go to Australia for about 6 months or something, is it easy to do?

I thought Australia was one of the hardest places to get in to, regarding laws and stuff
    If you are British it is quite easy to get a visa. It is different for other nationalities. A tourist visa costs about £10 and last for 3 months only. You cannot work. If you are aged between 18 and 30 you can apply for a years working visa. You need to prove you have £3000 in savings and a return flight. You may only ever have one of thse visas.

About the busing. Yes, place in Australia are very far apart but I did my trip in little bits so the longest I ever spent on a bus was 15 hours Sydney -> Byron Bay I think. Most of my trips were about 6 hours. I bought a certain number of kilometers of travle and could go where I liked and take as long as I liked. When i ran out of Kms i could top up my pass.

Definitely go to the Whitsundays. This is a collection of tropical islands where you can dive and snorkell. To get there go to Airlie beach and sign up for a sailing tour. Then you can stay over night on a boat for a few nights with some like-minded travellers. It's good fun travelling by oneself. I met lots of people and had an amazing time.

Virgin Blue is a cheap airline already mentioned.
    Bus = http://www.greyhound.com.au/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bezza)
    My sister's going to australia and new zealand in december after she's finished uni and she's found a bus company which offers all kinds of tours of both countries where you can get off and stay for as long as you want at each stop. Some of the tours you fly one way and get the bus the other if you don't want to spend too long on a bus. I can't remember what the company is called but she's home this weekend so I can ask her if you like.
    That'd be brilliant if you could ask for me, thanks very much

ReputationRep:
    Almost certainly the bus company Ellie4 means is the Kiwi Experience. Known as the Oz Experience in Australia. Get yourself down to your local STA travel shop and they can tell you all about this.

Oz Experience
    http://www.pacificislandtravel.com/a...xperience.html

STA
    http://www.statravel.co.uk/

ReputationRep:
    Next year im going Oz for a bit on an idividual adventure, cept im going to crash at my uncle's in Brisbane for a bit and use that as a base camp. He sent me a load of links that i should use to have a look at some of the things that I should do. These links are pretty useful and have given me quite a lot of ideas:

www.lonelyplanet.com www.queensland-holidays.com www.crocodilehunter.com www.koala.net www.brisbane.qld.gov.au www.ourbrisbane.com www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au www.underwaterworld.com.au www.tourismnoosa.com.au www.tweedcoolangatta.com.au

Already booked a diving course and expedition down at the great barrier reef. Never dived before but they have all sorts of courses for beginners.

Yoin the youth hostel association aswell, so you can stay in youth hostels accross the whole of Oz.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.