Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Planning a trip to Oz watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, go to Steve Irwin's zoo - it's ace! We got to have our pictures taken with this sh!t scary snake!

You know, I'd actually recommend Brisbane for a day or two. My family moved over to Australia at the beginning of last summer but we ended up back here in England. We were going to settle in Brisbane. So anyway, it's worth seeing - take a walk through the botanical gardens, cross the river and walk up the river (or is it down?) to this little artificial beach an you can stop at a cafe along there and have a drink. Then get one of those fast ferry-type things back along the river... Queen's Street Mall (is it called that??) is the main shopping place. The Valley is worth a visit.

But DEFINATELY go to the Witsundays. I didn't go there myself while I was in Oz, but I did go to the reef and went diving for the first time ever - it was amazing.

Everdawn, where in Bris do you live (not that I'm gonna stalk you or anything! I'm jus interested)?

ReputationRep:
    Southbank is where Kodak Beach is, and you can ride a city cat on the river. Queen street Mall is my little hang out apart from Chermside. If its a shopping experence you are after in Brisvegas, Visit, Indropilly, Carindale and Chermside (visit me at Myer! ) Also, I agree Fortitude Vally is mad! I love it! Just watch out at night, it happend to be the red-light district...

And to answer your question Zombie:
    I live at Castledine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Everdawn)
    Southbank is where Kodak Beach is, and you can ride a city cat on the river. Queen street Mall is my little hang out apart from Chermside. If its a shopping experence you are after in Brisvegas, Visit, Indropilly, Carindale and Chermside (visit me at Myer! ) Also, I agree Fortitude Vally is mad! I love it! Just watch out at night, it happend to be the red-light district... .
    I used to live in Carindale! I've heard that since I've been gone they've done it up really posh... I actually haven't been back to Oz for TEN years now!!! So that means I'm getting old, and my advice for what to see in Aust. may be a lil. stale.
    Southbank and Queenstreet mall is where we used to go to 'wag' school (tho I didn't do this often cause I was a good girl...)
    This thread has made me v. nostalgic and is making me want to go back for a visit. It's hard coughing up the $2000 for the tic when I've got my grad school to pay for now and the expense of living in London.
    Maybe I could take a trip when I've finished my MSc.

Definitely visit Brissie, the Gold and Sunshine coasts (Noosa used to be great) and don't miss Byron Bay. One spot my family particularly enjoyed in QLD is Lamington National Park- rainforests, but in close proximity to Brisbane. Also, not sure if it'll be the right time of year but we went Whale watching a couple of times in Hervey Bay which is located north of Brisbane. Moreton Island or Frasier Island are also good trips from Brisbane.

One year my dance team took a bus from Brisbane to Sydney and it did take quite a while, but it is definitly managable. If you could get a bus ticket that lets you get on and off as you go up or down the coast, that'd be quite good.

Everdawn: Is that coffee shop 'Three Monkeys' still open in the West End?

ReputationRep:
    West End's not really my scene, so I wouldnt know. Which school did you go to while here?

ReputationRep:
    State High (BSHS)
    Where do you go?

ReputationRep:
    Wavell, the origional and the best.

ReputationRep:
    i'm up for exploring the Australian bush

ReputationRep:
    Ah yeah! Noosa is amazing... got to see a gazillion Koalas!

But I wouldn't recommend Indro so much! I worked there while I was in Oz and it's just a shopping mall... but if you want good shopping.. well. Maybe I just don't like it because it'll forever be associated in my mind with work! Nooooooo!

Jus so you guys know... I used to live in Chapel Hill, and went to Kenmore.. met this really strange girl from All Hallows there ! But I've heard that's what they're all like anyway..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zombie)
    Ah yeah! Noosa is amazing... got to see a gazillion Koalas!

But I wouldn't recommend Indro so much! I worked there while I was in Oz and it's just a shopping mall... but if you want good shopping.. well. Maybe I just don't like it because it'll forever be associated in my mind with work! Nooooooo!

Jus so you guys know... I used to live in Chapel Hill, and went to Kenmore.. met this really strange girl from All Hallows there ! But I've heard that's what they're all like anyway..
    I hate All Hallows, I have some really good friends who go there but on the whole those girls are *****y.

Theyve re-vamped Indro now and its pretty good, though they still dont have David Jones.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.