Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to be a Med student at Bham and I'm completely shocked at the lack of grants for stem subjects. There are grants for music and sports and I saw one for engineering but I have come to a disappointing conclusion that Bham just don't offer most stem students any financial help when UCL, Surrey and loads of other Universities openly encourage their students to apply for their many grants that are available!

However it is possible that I have overlooked an opportunity so I would greatly appreciate any Bham students or reps offering their advice on where to look if I am, indeed, mistaken.

Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    I agree with this. I'm doing engineering and compared to the other unis I got offers from Birmingham is the worst when it comes to the grants and bursaries on offer. There's only one grant for my course and it's not even open to everyone so I'm ineligible to apply for it. It's pretty surprising considering it is a very expensive uni to attend especially when comparing to its counterparts (Manchester, Leeds, Sheffield etc.). Those places are cheaper and yet their grants and bursaries are much better. Unfortunately, I didn't look into this too much before choosing my firm choice but if I had done my research properly beforehand, it certainly would've made me think harder about whether going to Birmingham would be worth it. Most of the friends I know that go to Birmingham are fairly well off/upper middle class so I should've clocked on.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 18, 2015

University open days

1. University of Birmingham
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 15 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.