Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Special Consideration Question... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi, i am doing AS levels currently in Maths (edexcelP1, M1, S1), Chemistry (edexcel nuffield), Biology (OCR), and Psychology (AQA). +general studies which doesn't count :-p

I just did P1 today. Trouble is, a close relative of mine has just yesterday lost her battle against cancer. All throughout study leave i have had to visit relatives, visit her in the hospice as much as possible and comfort my parents/sisters...it has really taken a lot out of me and my revision in the vital few weeks leading up to my exams has suffered really badly.

Unfortunately, im not the world most contientious student (cAnt even spell very well ;-) ) and i have not worked hard enough through the year to pull off my exams well enough to get the grades i need to fulfill my ambition. (psychiatry-ANYWHERE!) E.G. chemistry tomorrow, what am i going to do??

I have A's in my chem practicals and bio coursework. My mechanics, psychology and Biology exams went ok i think, but last night i heared the news about my relative, and we had family round my house to talk and reminisce, and i didin't get to revise at all. Today in my pure maths exam, i couldn't stop crying and sympathetic looks from teachers just make it so much harder to stop!! I missed out so many questions because i couldn't think straight and simply could not remember!! I answered most and am confident i got over 50%!! lol but that is NOT good enough, it simply isn't.

I have been told that i wil be getting 'special consideration' for bereavement, for my pure maths exam, chem tomorrow and stats on friday - but what does this mean?? Does anyone know? does anyone else have it? Im pretty sure - its a cruel world - this still means my ambitions etc are crushed. Why this week? of all weeks? :-( Why at all.

!!!

ReputationRep:
    that is sad to hear, i'm sorry.
    i got a special consideration bereavment and they just gave me my predicted grade for that exam. thats why exam boards ask for predicted grades 3 months before the exams

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chats)
    that is sad to hear, i'm sorry.
    i got a special consideration bereavment and they just gave me my predicted grade for that exam. thats why exam boards ask for predicted grades 3 months before the exams
    woah......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dazzyaa911)
    woah......
    that aint good i think i could of got an A, instead i got a C

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the response

really?

My predicted grades will be much higher than the grades im expecting to get after this has all happened....i simply cannot seem to think straight....such a shock.

I wouldn't have any problems retaking in January, apart from the fact that medical schools usually dont accept retakes, and even if they do eg. peninsula - the origionals have to be 'aboive' a certain grade, AND the grades i get this time around will be the only ones they'll see to go by...

Psychiatry has been my dream for ages, and i think possibly i have dont well enough in Biology and Psychology - wellish in Mechanis, its just these last three after i heared the news (shock etc) that are going to ruin everything. :-(

I think it'd be fairer for me to retake....but medschools simply dont like people retaking

If doctors can't get it right frist time, i guess people end up dying...

ReputationRep:
    sorry about your relative, at least she's in peace now. i'm sure you'll get your speacial consideration, try not to worry as it will only make it worse. (i know it sounds easier said than done).
    our spanish teachers made a HUGE mistake by not teaching us one of the literature texts we need 4 our A2 exam and we only found out about it after easter. since then we've been having extra lessons after school time with a tutor (4 of us in my class) which the school is paying for as its their mistake! it's disturbing our revision for other subjects and with 2 weeks to go till the exam we still haven't finihsed learning the new text let alone revising it!
    our school wrote to our exam board for special consideration, i hope we get it! they also wrote to our universitites in case we miss grades. i'm carrying on with spanish in university as well so its really stressed me out.

(Original post by xSamanthax)
    Thanks for the response

really?

My predicted grades will be much higher than the grades im expecting to get after this has all happened....i simply cannot seem to think straight....such a shock.

I wouldn't have any problems retaking in January, apart from the fact that medical schools usually dont accept retakes, and even if they do eg. peninsula - the origionals have to be 'aboive' a certain grade, AND the grades i get this time around will be the only ones they'll see to go by...

Psychiatry has been my dream for ages, and i think possibly i have dont well enough in Biology and Psychology - wellish in Mechanis, its just these last three after i heared the news (shock etc) that are going to ruin everything. :-(

I think it'd be fairer for me to retake....but medschools simply dont like people retaking

If doctors can't get it right frist time, i guess people end up dying...
    If you retake them because of something that was not your fault first time round (as in this case) that is a very different scenario to if you just did not revise hard enough etc. I am sure med schools would look differently upon your resits because if your situation.

It shows a very determined person to carry on wanting to achieve the grades she needs even though the first time it was not her fault she did not do as well as she could.

Doctors are not obliged to carry on working with no time off if they are devastated by a family death etc. Don't let it put you off your dream.

Rosie

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.