Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
B866 - Pregnancy Cessation Bill 2015, The Hon. Nigel Farage MEP

Pregnancy Cessation Bill 2015

A

BILL
TO

A bill to ban abortions in unless in cases of the mother being raped, the mother falling ill with an eligible disease or infection, the child being born with a disability or a disease, or the mother being a child under the age of 18.

BE IT ENACTED by the Queen’s most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Lords Spiritual and Temporal, and Commons, in this present Parliament assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—

1 Abortions

(1) All abortions will be illegal in the United Kingdom except abortions carried out under the following sections.
(2) All abortions will have to be conducted before the 24 week of pregnancy.
(3) People can apply for an abortion before the 20 week of pregnancy.
(3) All people seeking an abortion will have to apply to the Abortion Approval Centre for approval.

2 Parental age

(1) The person is a child under the age of 18 years.
(2) The person is over the ages of 18 but in full -time education.

3 Disability and disease

(1) If a birth defect is detected during pregnancy. These are restricted to;
a. Cleft lip or palate
b. Clubfoot
c. Development dysplasia of the hip
d. Fetal Alcohol Syndrome
e. Neural Tube Defects
f. Heat defects
g. Gastrointestinal tract defects
h. Cystic fibrosis
i. Down syndrome
j. Fragile X syndrome
k. Muscle dystrophy
l. Phenylketonuria
m. Sickle cell disease
n. Tay-Sachs disease
(2) This list will be extended by the Department of Health to include other life-threatening, or life-changing diseases.

4 Health and well-being of the mother

(1) If the mother contracts an infection or virus threatening the life of the foetus, or potentially leading to birth defects.
(2) The infections and viruses;
a. Rubella
b. Cytomegalovirus
c. Toxoplasmosis
d. Genital herpes virus
e. Fifth disease
f. Chicken pox
g. Syphilis
(3) The mother is disabled.
(4) The mother is unable to take care of a child, by;
a. Not having the financial means to do so
b. Not having a home or the ability to take care of the child.
(5) Is suffering from Post-traumatic Stress Disorder.
(6) For (4) and (5) the mother must demonstrate her circumstances when applying for an abortion.

5 Rape

(1) If the mother was raped she may have an abortion.
(2) A permit for abortion will be granted by the person submitting a police report for rape and a pregnancy report showing how progressed her pregnancy is to the Abortion Approval centre.
(3) If the dates for conception and being raped match an abortion permit will be granted.

6 Abortion Approval Centres

(1) AACs will be a division of the department of Health.
(2) People seeking an abortion will have to apply for a permit.
(3) People can apply for a permit using the conditions for abortions in 2 to 5.
(4) The AAC will have access to a person's medical record for making a judgement.
(5) A judgement will be made within 21 days.
(6) If a decision takes longer than 21 days a permit for abortion will be automatically granted.

7 Conducting abortions

(1) All people carrying out an abortion in the United Kingdom must see a valid permit before carrying out the abortion.
(2) Any person who does not see a valid permit before carrying out the abortion will be liable for a fine up to £10000, and a 5 year prison sentence, or both.
(3) All doctors who illegally carry out an abortion will be removed from the General Medical Council's register for up to 20 years.

8 Commencement, short title and extent

(1) This Act will come into force 12 months after it is passed.
(2) This Act will extend to the United Kingdom.
(3) This Act may be cited as the Abortions act 2015.

Notes

I had the idea for this bill after watching a news report about an aborted baby that survived, and watching a video of an abortion taking place; I am undecided on this bill but I have written it. This bill aims to reduce the number of abortion but still makes available grounds for people to have abortions. Automatically granting a permit for abortion for people who have not had their case decided on within 21 days will prevent any people who may have acceptable grounds for abortion being denied one. The current limit for abortions in the UK is 24 weeks, this remains unchanged but people will have 20 weeks to apply for abortion to allow a decision to be made within the 21 days, and the abortion to go ahead before the 24 week deadline.
Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No. A disgrace.
James Milibanter
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Nay. A great infringement on liberty.
Andy98
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Nay

Posted from TSR Mobile
PetrosAC
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
A billion times nay
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Aye.

Whilst even a year ago I'd have taken the libertarian stance on this issue, I've come to believe that societal values are increasingly lacking. People who create new life should be made to deal with the consequences of their actions. Additionally, I want a higher native birth rate.
TheDefiniteArticle
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Nay. Not because of any specific provision, I'm just fundamentally oppposed to the policy of this bill.
United1892
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Let me think about that...

Nay
Actaeon
Badges: 11
Report 5 years ago
An interesting bill, and it will be a very interesting—and difficult—debate. This was an area I was wondering about looking into, so I'm glad Nigel has brought it up.

I do think taking active medical intervention to intentionally kill a growing child in the womb requires a very high level of justification. As a correction for contraception failure, or as a means of preventing unwanted 'inconvenience', I do not believe abortion is morally justifiable. I suspect a number of abortions which take place currently are due to these reasons, rather than due to real medical problems. On the other hand, there certainly are cases where unstigmatised access to abortion is necessary, and this shouldn't be weakened.

I will look into the criteria in more detail tomorrow, and compare them to the current state of affairs. For now I would urge other members to seriously consider this issue, without recourse to emotive accusations.
Tahret
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No. I'd rather that a child was aborted than brought up in an unsafe or uncaring household, in conditions that lead to future crime and poverty.
cranbrook_aspie
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Nay. I think abortion should be discouraged, as it is after all ending/preventing a life, and that women looking into abortion should be made fully aware of other options such as adoption, but it is ultimately the woman's choice to make, not the government's. What goes on in a woman's uterus is no business of the state.
PetrosAC
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
Nay. I think abortion should be discouraged, as it is after all ending/preventing a life, and that women looking into abortion should be made fully aware of other options such as adoption, but it is ultimately the woman's choice to make, not the government's. What goes on in a woman's uterus is no business of the state.
Hear hear!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lady Comstock
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Absolute nay x10000000000000000000000000.
Life_peer
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Nope, sorry. It's not a huge issue (and certainly not a disgrace) but I think that as long as there's someone willing to do it, the potential mother and father should have full control over the fetus which should be regarded as shared property until at least the end of second trimester.

The problem according to my opinion is the balance between their ownership. Should a woman get more say because it's her who has to carry the child and then plays a bigger role in nurture? I think yes, she should.

Should a man get more say if he wants abortion but the woman wants to keep it, because he would have to provide child support? I think no, he shouldn't, but only if he were freed from all legal obligations and had used appropriate contraception (including the belief that the woman had taken the pill when in fact she hadn't, which is common tactics, sadly).
The Financier
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hell no.

Edit: If the basis of this is on the Planned Parenthood "leak" brought up by Carly Fiorina in the GOP leadership debate, it is worth bearing in mind that there is no evidence that the footage was filmed at Planned Parenthood or that it had anything to do with abortion at all.
RayApparently
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Another PMB from the new UKIP Leader?
RayApparently
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No.
Krollo
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Nay. Just nay.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Tahret)
No. I'd rather that a child was aborted than brought up in an unsafe or uncaring household, in conditions that lead to future crime and poverty.
Could it not be argued that by using that reasoning your sanctioning the states failure to provide the means for that childs success.

(Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
Ita interesting that you believe government has no business being involved and yet your happy for the taxpayer to waste money providing this service.
cranbrook_aspie
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I meant that the government has no business regulating abortion. If the government has to intervene financially to allow a woman to make use of her liberty to decide what goes on in her own body, I don't have a problem.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (726)
33.81%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (920)
42.85%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (407)
18.96%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (94)
4.38%

Watched Threads