Geogdan
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Basically I'm really bad at physics and I'm taking it at A2, I dropped Maths about a month before my AS exams because I just couldn't do it, and after having got an E in physics and struggling already this year only 2 weeks in I have had the idea of dropping physics and taking the AS Economics and A2 Economics papers next June. My maths skills aren't amazing but not as bad as they sound, my essay writing is alright but again... Not amazing. My other subjects are biology and geography, the latter being what I wish to study at uni. My question is, is it a good idea to try and learn the two years of economics in 9 months?
P.s. Never done economics ever before.
_Fergo
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Depends on many factors really...

I did my A-Levels in a year, and Economics was my lowest grade by quite a difference (B).

If you decide to take econ, I'd advise against OCR as I found the A2 units required a lot of teacher attention and a lot of time to prepare (ie doing both A2 units in just 4 months will mean not doing it thoroughly enough). It's also a very formulaic subject and your structure will need to be perfect for top marks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yousf
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by *Stefan*)
Depends on many factors really...

I did my A-Levels in a year, and Economics was my lowest grade by quite a difference (B).

If you decide to take econ, I'd advise against OCR as I found the A2 units required a lot of teacher attention and a lot of time to prepare (ie doing both A2 units in just 4 months will mean not doing it thoroughly enough). It's also a very formulaic subject and your structure will need to be perfect for top marks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Didn't know that you did both in a year!
_Fergo
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Yousf)
Didn't know that you did both in a year!
Yeah, did both AS and A2 in nine months basically. While I thought I was sufficiently prepared, I was apparently wrong in the unit I got the D in.

Take my advice and ensure you give both micro and macro equal attention!

(I forgot about the notes you asked! I'll take a look later on today and let you know!)
SteelManatee
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Would like to know this also, had a similar idea too
Abb97
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Geogdan)
Basically I'm really bad at physics and I'm taking it at A2, I dropped Maths about a month before my AS exams because I just couldn't do it, and after having got an E in physics and struggling already this year only 2 weeks in I have had the idea of dropping physics and taking the AS Economics and A2 Economics papers next June. My maths skills aren't amazing but not as bad as they sound, my essay writing is alright but again... Not amazing. My other subjects are biology and geography, the latter being what I wish to study at uni. My question is, is it a good idea to try and learn the two years of economics in 9 months?
P.s. Never done economics ever before.
I got an E in physics you and i flunked maths im still going to carry it though because i wwnt to carry on with it in uni. Doing a 2 year course is quite big if you havent had any past experience so i would recommend that you just carry on and get a better grade than an E
Princepieman
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yeah, did both AS and A2 in nine months basically. While I thought I was sufficiently prepared, I was apparently wrong in the unit I got the D in.

Take my advice and ensure you give both micro and macro equal attention!

(I forgot about the notes you asked! I'll take a look later on today and let you know!)
If you still have them on hand, I would love to get a copy. I'm self teaching AS+A2 Economics (alongside 2 other subjects) in a year this year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
_Fergo
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Yousf)
--
(Original post by Princepieman)
If you still have them on hand, I would love to get a copy. I'm self teaching AS+A2 Economics (alongside 2 other subjects) in a year this year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Which board are you on? These are OCR specific so not sure if they're as applicable to other boards (though still many topics are shared).

Here are most of the notes I used (both AS and A2). Enjoy and best of luck!
Princepieman
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Which board are you on? These are OCR specific so not sure if they're as applicable to other boards (though still many topics are shared).

Edexcel but I'm sure a lot of the content will be transferable between the boards, thanks!
Yousf
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Thanks so much buddy, good luck with freshers week!
Yousf
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
your doing 3 a levels in one year o.o
Princepieman
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Yousf)
your doing 3 a levels in one year o.o
Yep, 16 exams in the summer.
Masooda
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I have a friend who completed an entire A level in one year, alongside two AS' (I think it was). He got a B in the subject. And similar/better in the rest. It's doable.
_Fergo
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Yousf)
Thanks so much buddy, good luck with freshers week!
Cheers mate Good luck with A2!

Yep, 16 exams in the summer.
Make sure you don't overburn! It'll seem very easy in the beginning with AS, but when A2 kicks in things can get hellish (because you will still have to revise for AS constantly).

Also, don't make the same mistake as me by not paying attention to one unit: a single D (however unexpected it was) dragged my whole grade to a B despite getting an A in the remaining three units.

Ask away if you need any help throughout. I know it's a pain in the ass to do three subjects in the year so I'm willing to help with whatever I can!
Princepieman
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Cheers mate Good luck with A2!

Make sure you don't overburn! It'll seem very easy in the beginning with AS, but when A2 kicks in things can get hellish (because you will still have to revise for AS constantly).

Also, don't make the same mistake as me by not paying attention to one unit: a single D (however unexpected it was) dragged my whole grade to a B despite getting an A in the remaining three units.

Ask away if you need any help throughout. I know it's a pain in the ass to do three subjects in the year so I'm willing to help with whatever I can!
I'm alright for most of Maths and Further Maths as I covered all the pure units in my previous qualifications (Scottish Advanced Higher), so it's all review except for: Mechanics, Statistics and Decision. Economics will be the main focus this year in terms of getting to grips with content I think.

Definitely, I'm planning to segment my revision to focus on each individual unit. For instance, say I have an Econ exam coming up, I'll change the weighting of my revision to focus more on that particular unit.

Thanks for the proposition! How did you structure your year? And, what did your weekly routine look like: learning content, then revising for content?
_Fergo
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm alright for most of Maths and Further Maths as I covered all the pure units in my previous qualifications (Scottish Advanced Higher), so it's all review except for: Mechanics, Statistics and Decision. Economics will be the main focus this year in terms of getting to grips with content I think.

Definitely, I'm planning to segment my revision to focus on each individual unit. For instance, say I have an Econ exam coming up, I'll change the weighting of my revision to focus more on that particular unit.

Thanks for the proposition! How did you structure your year? And, what did your weekly routine look like: learning content, then revising for content?
That's great actually! Maths is probably the best A-Level to do in a year (for those that have what it takes that is), so it should be okay.

I devided the year into two segments; September-December AS and January-March A2 (you do need to give more time to AS as it forms the basis for everything. If you don't get something at AS you won't get it at A2 for sure).

I then took the specification and allocated each section to specific weeks, which I followed strictly. I always allowed 10 days after each unit for revision on that unit alone, and did as many past papers as possible (this is pivotal!!!).

I had a surgery in January which obviously messed up my schedule, so don't worry about it yourself! Make sure you make a personal plan and stick to it as much as possible.

After a few revisions, I could regurgitate the revision guides/book in an hour or so, and you need to aim at that yourself. Make sure you know the examiners' reports inside out, as structure is just as important as learning the content itself.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Princepieman
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
That's great actually! Maths is probably the best A-Level to do in a year (for those that have what it takes that is), so it should be okay.

I devided the year into two segments; September-December AS and January-March A2 (you do need to give more time to AS as it forms the basis for everything. If you don't get something at AS you won't get it at A2 for sure).

I then took the specification and allocated each section to specific weeks, which I followed strictly. I always allowed 10 days after each unit for revision on that unit alone, and did as many past papers as possible (this is pivotal!!!).

I had a surgery in January which obviously messed up my schedule, so don't worry about it yourself! Make sure you make a personal plan and stick to it as much as possible.

After a few revisions, I could regurgitate the revision guides/book in an hour or so, and you need to aim at that yourself. Make sure you know the examiners' reports inside out, as structure is just as important as learning the content itself.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks so much for the advice! Oh, sorry to hear about the surgery, hope everything went smoothly!

When you broke down the specification, did you do it by topic? i.e. week one: topic, week two: topic etc?

Regarding the 10 day revision sessions, are these before the exams or just after you've fully covered the content?

Thanks for the heads up about structure as well, I'm thinking about getting a tutor nearer the exam to work on essay techniques for Econ - it's all well and good knowing the content but actually laying it out well is another skill.
_Fergo
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thanks so much for the advice! Oh, sorry to hear about the surgery, hope everything went smoothly!

When you broke down the specification, did you do it by topic? i.e. week one: topic, week two: topic etc?

Regarding the 10 day revision sessions, are these before the exams or just after you've fully covered the content?

Thanks for the heads up about structure as well, I'm thinking about getting a tutor nearer the exam to work on essay techniques for Econ - it's all well and good knowing the content but actually laying it out well is another skill.
I had a second supplementary one in August but everything is perfect now, thanks

Specifically, OCR have each AS module divided into three sub-units and each A2 unit into 4 sub-units. I allocated about a week + 2 days for each sub-unit (a bit more at A2), though I found that AS micro was a lot easier to cover and so took less time. Not sure about how edexcel have structured their specification, but I guess it'll be similar.

The revision sessions were right after I finished studying each unit. Before a thorough revision I reviewed each sub-unit (or topic) separately to ensure that everything was there. Once that was done, I did everything from beginning to end and when I was stuck I'd just note it down and go through it again (if you find yourself in that position, I'd advise not to revise just the mistake you made; revise the whole section again).

That is very important and getting a tutor can help a lot. The sad thing about Econ is that if you don't structure your answers correctly (according to the formulas in the mark schemes), you may be awarded very low marks even though you knew the content perfectly well. Make sure you ask your tutor to give you a clear structure himself and follow it thereafter.

(Gotta go to bed now - I'll get back tomorrow. Goodnight.)

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (476)
66.39%
No (241)
33.61%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed