This discussion is closed.
redandgreen
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
at the mo i am doing a foundation year. im an independant student (was 20 when started the course) and got full loan (3400) and full grant (2700)

next year im doing dietetics (so nhs funded)

what should i get in grants/burseries and loans?

i read somewhere that the standard nhs bersery is £5695 - is this per year (and does it cover tuition fees) or is it for the whole course?
JackieS
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by redandgreen)
at the mo i am doing a foundation year. im an independant student (was 20 when started the course) and got full loan (3400) and full grant (2700)

next year im doing dietetics (so nhs funded)

what should i get in grants/burseries and loans?

i read somewhere that the standard nhs bersery is £5695 - is this per year (and does it cover tuition fees) or is it for the whole course?
the NHS bursary people and student loan company don't consider you to be independent till you've hit 26 or you've been independent from your parents for 3 years i.e. not living at home (or estranged for 1)........because you're going to get an NHS bursary, unfortunately this means you can only apply for a non-income assessed student loan (sadly these are the rules!). So you're only entitled to 75% of the full amount, and the full amount is dependent on age, dependents, independent/dependent status etc

if you go onto the student loan website there is a online calculator where you input some information and it'll tell you how much you're entitled to
redandgreen
Rep:
?
Im astranged from parents and counted as astranged from them when i got my loan this year. so should be the same next year when i apply as i still am astranged from them.

i did the calculator thing but it said its not possible to give an estimation.
JackieS
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Im astranged from parents and counted as astranged from them when i got my loan this year. so should be the same next year when i apply as i still am astranged from them.

well in that case you'll be entitled to 75% of the max loan depndent on your age and where you're living. I live at home, in London and I get 1700 so you'll prob get more than that. Oh, and the NHS bursary is excluding tuition fees. These are paid directly to the uni on your behalf, and the amount you get it per year, not for three years. But you have to be reassessed every year
redandgreen
Rep:
?
whoa 1700 isnt much though. because even though living with parents your still living in london which is usually the same as living out of london away from home isnt it??

my house next year is gonna cost about 3200 :s but i suppose with the bursary as well it averages out to about the same as if i was getting the government grant which im guessing you dont get if your getting nhs bursary?
Greenmile
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
The rate of loan this year is £2160 at the elsewhere rate, it will be a little bit more for 2007/08.

Try www.nhsstudentgrants.co.uk for more information on the bursaries. You only get the student loan if you are entitled to apply for a means-tested bursary (which is a much lower amount than what you have quoted). If you get a non-means tested bursary, then you will not get the student loan.

I don't know which you will get, because I am in Wales, and Welsh courses often attract different nhs bursaries than the equivalent English courses. But the website will confirm for definite.
Elles
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Greenmile)
The rate of loan this year is £2160 at the elsewhere rate, it will be a little bit more for 2007/08.
Loan or bursary?

I've tried the NHS Bursary website but can't get what I want out of it - lots of degree v. diploma blurb though & case studies of people doing degrees as matures!

Do you also get a student loan to make up the bursary to the amount of support you normally get...? & is it means tested like the additional 25% of student loan?
JackieS
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Elles)
Loan or bursary?

I've tried the NHS Bursary website but can't get what I want out of it - lots of degree v. diploma blurb though & case studies of people doing degrees as matures!

Do you also get a student loan to make up the bursary to the amount of support you normally get...? & is it means tested like the additional 25% of student loan?
NHS bursaries are means tested unless you're doing a nursing diploma in whcih case its non means tested............if you're applying for means tested NHS bursary you get a reduced rate student loan (only allowed the non means tested loan).....again unless you're a diploma nurse in whcih case you can;'t get a loan
JackieS
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago

200/08 loan amounts are:

Full Year Rates
Living away from home and studying in London - up to 6,315
Living away from home and study elsewhere - up to 4,510
Living at parents home (regardless of location) - up to 3,495

Final year rates
Living away from home and studying in London - up to 5,750
Living away from home and studying elsewhere - up to 4,175
Living at parents home (regardless of location) - up to 3,155

But NHS means tested bursaries mean you're only entitled to up to 75% of these loan amoutns
Elles
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Thanks for trying to help, Jackie... still slightly confused though.

(Original post by JackieS)
200/08 loan amounts are:
Full Year Rates
Living away from home and study elsewhere - up to 4,510
I get more student loan than that at the moment. :confused: Possibly due to long terms?
I'll be a 5th year Medical Student next year - so applying for a means tested NHS Bursary (away from home, outside of London).

Do you have any idea how much is the maximum they give you?
Or more approximately - if you're means tested & in the lowest income band does it replace the amount of loan entirely - or is it only ever a contribution...? If you were means tested & has a massive income would you get £0 bursary or is everyone on a sliding scale somewhere?
JackieS
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Elles)
Thanks for trying to help, Jackie... still slightly confused though.

I get more student loan than that at the moment. :confused: Possibly due to long terms?
I'll be a 5th year Medical Student next year - so applying for a means tested NHS Bursary (away from home, outside of London).

Do you have any idea how much is the maximum they give you?
Or more approximately - if you're means tested & in the lowest income band does it replace the amount of loan entirely - or is it only ever a contribution...? If you were means tested & has a massive income would you get £0 bursary or is everyone on a sliding scale somewhere?
I'm not sure about the max to be honest.......I don't think it ever replaces the loan, you can get both, not one or the other......some people do get nothing - I know quite a few people at Georges who get nothing (for physio anyway). Have you tried to NHS student grants site? It has an online calculator
http://www.nhsstudentgrants.co.uk/
Elles
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Cleverly I was trying to hunt for explanation in the text & hadn't looked for an obvious link like 'Bursary Calculator' - thank you. :p:
JackieS
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Elles)
Cleverly I was trying to hunt for explanation in the text & hadn't looked for an obvious link like 'Bursary Calculator' - thank you. :p:
haha! No problem! Hope you got a big number!
Greenmile
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Basically, you either get a means-tested bursary or a non means-tested bursary.

If you get the means-tested bursary, it is calculated from parental income. It's not a huge amount even if you get the maximum. If parents are on a large income you wouldn't receive any of the bursary. You would still be entitled to the reduced rate of student loan. For 2006/07 the elsewhere rate of this was £2160.

If you get the non-means tested bursary you are not entitled to the student loan or any other help from your LEA. But the bursary is not dependent on income, so even if your dad is Richard Branson, you would still get the full bursary. This bursary is more than the means-tested bursary and is around the £6K mark (or just under).

Bursaries are usually paid monthly over 12 months into your bank account. Courses that attract an nhs nursary usually have the fees paid by the nhs also, regardless of income.

I hope that makes more sense than my previous post, which I don't think has been interpreted how I meant it to be.:dontknow:
linda1997
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
hi
i have a student loan for science for level 3 , i applied for a bursary for help with bus fares but was told as i already have a level 3 in a different subject i cant get help is this right i live with my mom who is single and on esa
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (99)
24.26%
No (309)
75.74%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed