The Student Room Group

GEM new option for all uk students !

Hi all,

I am a current student studying GEM at UL in Ireland. First off let me say the facilities are incredible, the teaching brilliant and it is on par if not better then st georges and Nottingham in terms of it's structure.

You end up with the same BMBS 4 year gem degree as the UK with all the same opportunities with just as good if not better then some UK schools in terms of facilities. The GEM building is brand new and is amazing inside and has consultants and clinically active doctors as tutors.

It is really a fantastic school and best of it is... You only needed 54 in the gamsat to get in and NO interview or work experience. It is hard and you have a hell of a lot of work but it is doable and I am learning so much so quickly and could tell you a hell of a lot of anatomy, physiology and conditions about things already. So, it is an option for those who are willing to go and it isn't expensive to fly to England when you need to.

Hope you all have a good weekend and I hope this post may open the door for studying medicine to those who just might struggle to get around 60 on the Gamsat.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jacky12345
Hi all,

I am a current student studying GEM at UL in Ireland. First off let me say the facilities are incredible, the teaching brilliant and it is on par if not better then st georges and Nottingham in terms of it's structure.

As a UK citizen from this year onwards you are now ELIGIBLE for the student loan from the BANK OF IRELAND. It was a long and hard route to get overall approval but I have it and my fees have been paid.

You end up with the same BMBS 4 year gem degree as the UK with all the same opportunities with just as good if not better then some UK schools in terms of facilities. The GEM building is brand new and is amazing inside and has consultants and clinically active doctors as tutors.

It is really a fantastic school and best of it is... You only needed 54 in the gamsat to get in and NO interview or work experience. It is hard and you have a hell of a lot of work but it is doable and I am learning so much so quickly and could tell you a hell of a lot of anatomy, physiology and conditions about things already. So, it is an option for those who are willing to go and it isn't expensive to fly to England when you need to.

Hope you all have a good weekend and I hope this post may open the door for studying medicine to those who just might struggle to get around 60 on the Gamsat.

All good things are short-lived :rofl:

Seriously though, this easy-to-get-in thing won't last once word gets out. It will get swamped by people and become just as competitive as GEM is in the UK.
Reply 2
Original post by BoogieWoogie97
All good things are short-lived :rofl:

Seriously though, this easy-to-get-in thing won't last once word gets out. It will get swamped by people and become just as competitive as GEM is in the UK.

Haha, I said exactly this to everyone else on my course from the UK. Get your application in NEXT year if you want to go. It will stay under 57 for gamsat.
Haha, I said exactly this to everyone else on my course from the UK. Get your application in NEXT year if you want to go. It will stay under 57 for gamsat.

My sister is currently doing a degree to get into medicine through graduate entry but she's still a while away from graduating so unfortunately she won't be able to apply for next year. :frown:
Reply 4
I don't think Ireland will ever introduce interviews nor a really high gamsat score. The way they explain it is Ireland is that small somebody somewhere in your family will probably know the person interviewing you and will put in a word. Also, they obviously only take a set number every year from the UK as half of the students are canadian.
I don't think Ireland will ever introduce interviews nor a really high gamsat score. The way they explain it is Ireland is that small somebody somewhere in your family will probably know the person interviewing you and will put in a word. Also, they obviously only take a set number every year from the UK as half of the students are canadian.

Ah, fair enough. :smile: Wish that no-interview policy applied in the UK!
Reply 6
Tell me more about the financial support and fees involved.
Reply 7
Hi all,

Is there any reason why you edited out the bit about the BoI student loan? Also, is this only available for UL or the other GEM programmes too?
Reply 8
Yes I edited it because I was getting Message after message haha so would rather explain on here. BOI are now offering the loan to all UK Citizens so long as you provide a suitable guarantor. Only UL so far, but I would imagine this will follow suit across the rest. UL really is a great university.. it is very similar to Nottingham...even the building inside.
Reply 9
Yes I edited it because I was getting Message after message haha so would rather explain on here. BOI are now offering the loan to all UK Citizens so long as you provide a suitable guarantor. Only UL so far, but I would imagine this will follow suit across the rest. UL really is a great university.. it is very similar to Nottingham...even the building inside.

Thanks. Just out of interest, what are the demographics of your course like? Are the majority of the course Irish, or is there a large EU/North American/international contingent?
Reply 10
Majority Irish with the second largest proportion been from Canada. Some of the Canadians are rediculous in terms of background... Minimum of masters, a lot of PHD's in science based subjects but found it very hard to get in in Canada. Limerick follows a similar structure to Macmaster in Canada so I think that's why the Canadians come here.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending