The Student Room Group

Warwick Maths Offers

I know that Warwick give a standard offer to all applicants and their offers on their website are as follows:

"Grade A* in A-Level Mathematics, grade A in A-Level Further Mathematics, grade A in one additional non-Maths A-Level and grade 1 in any STEP

OR

Grade A* in A-Level Mathematics, grade A* in A-Level Further Mathematics and grade A* in one additional non-Maths A-Level

OR

Grade A* in A-Level Mathematics, grade A* in A-Level Further Mathematics and grades AA in two additional non-Maths A-Levels

OR

Grade A* in A-Level Mathematics, grade A* in A-Level Further Mathematics, grade A in one additional non-Maths A-Level and either grade 2 in any STEP or Distinction in AEA Mathematics"

Does all this mean that if I were to receive a standard offer including a STEP grade (for example A*AA plus grade 1 in STEP), but I didn't manage to meet the STEP requirement, would I still be able to get a place if I were to achieve their other standard offer with my A Levels solely (ie A*A*AA or A*A*A*)?
No, when warwick give maths offers they list he above and you have to meet onenof the above. They don't just give one of them as they see the above conditions all as equivalent.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Read Euler
No: on my offer letter it only gave two options not four:
Your offer is conditional on your meeting the following terms:
Obtain grade A* in A-Level Maths and grade A in one additional subject at A-Level. Plus EITHER grade A* in A-Level Further Maths and grade 2 in STEP Maths/Distinction in Maths AEA OR grade A in A-Level Further Maths and grade 1 in STEP Maths. This offer excludes General Studies and Critical Thinking.

As I said it's conditional on what your specific offer letter says; if your letter gives four options then yes, you could get in with any one of them.

That was last year, this year is different.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh right, sorry then my bad. No idea why they decided to make the offer easier lol, they're basically saying anyone who wants to get in can get in by making it purely A level based. At least with STEP you had to have a certain level of problem solving ability, but having a standard offer that is purely A level based is just absurd IMO.

Yh I don't think warwick value step alot. I might sound moany but I am as I got 1,1,3 in STEP I/II/III with Distinction in AEA but got A*A* (M n FM) but a B in physics and they rejected me. Even though they let people in with A*AA and a 2/3 in STEP I.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Ah unlucky mate, sorry about that. However if you notice it just makes it worse because their current offer is saying AA in A level = 1 in STEP, so that means you got A*A*B+11=A*A*AAAAB hence clearly they didn't think it through.

Not quite. They're saying that an extra fourth A-level at grade A is equivalent to the three but with a grade 2 in STEP. It's not unreasonable to be honest, the A*A*AA and A*A*A* offer are comparable to the STEP offers, and I think they're slightly harder.
Original post by Alex:
Not quite. They're saying that an extra fourth A-level at grade A is equivalent to the three but with a grade 2 in STEP. It's not unreasonable to be honest, the A*A*AA and A*A*A* offer are comparable to the STEP offers, and I think they're slightly harder.

But for a maths student that 3rd and 4th a level are useless compared to the stuff learnt prepping for step. I would say a 2 in step I is easier then the other offer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by physicsmaths
But for a maths student that 3rd and 4th a level are useless compared to the stuff learnt prepping for step. I would say a 2 in step I is easier then the other offer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

And STEP is not going to be vastly useful either. VERY few universities require maths applicants to take STEP. They're used to thin down the number of applicants so that the places aren't oversubscribed.
Reply 7
Well I don't see anything wrong with this reasoning:
A*A*A*=A*A*AA
so A*=AA
A*A*AA=A*AA1
so A*=1
but A*=AA
so AA=1

That implies the number of A-levels scales linearly, you can't use equal signs like that - it'd be fallacious logic. Each offer has a different difficulty attached to it. The A*A*AA offer requires a 4th A-level; the A*A*A* offer requires consistency in your A-levels; the STEP offers require you to do well in STEP.
A*A*A*=A*A*AA so A*=AA
This does not follow. A* is obviously not equal to AA. But rather, the A* is more difficult to achieve than an A, but the AA is more difficult in terms of content to learn. For every additional A-level taken, the grade required is lower. A*A*A = A*A*AU would be an acceptable equivalence, for instance.

A*A*AA=A*AA1
so A*=1

No, again the 4th A-level cannot be equated to a STEP grade. STEP requires no extra knowledge, and is simply an exercise in maths. The amount of effort an extra A-level requires is much more than STEP, since doing STEP means you don't have to put in as much work into your maths A-level.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest