Should I take A level Maths to help me with my A level Biology and Chemistry? Watch

JustaThinker
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I am curious whether I should take A level Maths or not. At the moment, my current subjects are Biology, Chemistry, Geography and English Literature. For background, I achieved a grade B in my GCSE Maths. And my goal is to become a successful dental surgeon, therefore I need to achieve a minimum of three As including Biology and Chemistry. If possible, I would like the opinions of members who either took A level Biology and Chemistry without A level Maths or with A level Maths.

Thanks.
Ben4
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by JustaThinker)
I am curious whether I should take A level Maths or not. At the moment, my current subjects are Biology, Chemistry, Geography and English Literature. For background, I achieved a grade B in my GCSE Maths. And my goal is to become a successful dental surgeon, therefore I need to achieve a minimum of three As including Biology and Chemistry. If possible, I would like the opinions of members who either took A level Biology and Chemistry without A level Maths or with A level Maths.

Thanks.
I took AS Biology with Maths, and really Maths did not help at all. Theres hardly any complicated Maths in Biology. I suggest if you dont necessary like maths dont take it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
JustaThinker
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ben4)
I took AS Biology with Maths, and really Maths did not help at all. Theres hardly any complicated Maths in Biology. I suggest if you dont necessary like maths dont take it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have heard that there is very little Maths involved with A level Biology. However, I am worried about A level Chemistry - there are many calculations involved...

Thanks for the reply anyway.
Ayman!
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I have heard that there is very little Maths involved with A level Biology. However, I am worried about A level Chemistry - there are many calculations involved...

Thanks for the reply anyway.
AS Chemistry doesn't have many calculations, however, A2 Chemistry does - but it's nothing too ghastly, someone with an A/B at GCSE could do it.
JustaThinker
Rep:
?
(Original post by aymanzayedmannan)
AS Chemistry doesn't have many calculations, however, A2 Chemistry does - but it's nothing too ghastly, someone with an A/B at GCSE could do it.
Are you sure? Cause I want to achieve at least an A in A level Biology and Chemistry.
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
My teacher said the maths in A level chemistry requires a C grade at GCSE. You have a B so...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Trafalgar-Law
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I do A Level Chemistry but maths isn't essential. The maths is basically gcse material so its easy to grasp.
JustaThinker
Rep:
?
(Original post by Trafalgar-Law)
I do A Level Chemistry but maths isn't essential. The maths is basically gcse material so its easy to grasp.
Do you also do A level Maths alongside A level Chemistry?
Trafalgar-Law
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Do you also do A level Maths alongside A level Chemistry?
Yes
Plagioclase
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Thanks.
Take Maths if you think it'll be useful for your university degree or for your own pleasure but it really won't help much with your science A Levels. There's no particularly difficult Maths in A Level sciences, the overlap with A Level Maths is absolutely minimal.
Ayman!
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Are you sure? Cause I want to achieve at least an A in A level Biology and Chemistry.
Yes, I am sure. The only bit of maths you need to know is changing the subject and plugging numbers into your calculator. What's more important than the calculations is your concepts.
BlueMyElf
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Thanks.
Doesn't dentistry have similar subject requirements as medicine? I've applied for medicine and most of them want maths in addition to biology and chemistry. If you're certain they don't require you to do maths then I guess you don't have to.
fandom-queen
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm doing A-level Maths, Physics, Chem and Bio. Honestly, not worth taking up A-level maths for Bio and chem. It's just punching a few numbers into the calculator and pressing 'equal to.' That's all it is.

Bio has a bit of stats, in the sense standard deviation, but that's about it.
JustaThinker
Rep:
?
(Original post by BlueIsTheNewRed)
Doesn't dentistry have similar subject requirements as medicine? I've applied for medicine and most of them want maths in addition to biology and chemistry. If you're certain they don't require you to do maths then I guess you don't have to.
Dental universities specify that taking A level Biology and Chemistry is important. And the third A level is any of your choice. Essentially, I need to get 3As in my A levels, including Biology and Chemistry and another A level of my choice, except Critical Thinking.
BlueMyElf
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Dental universities specify that taking A level Biology and Chemistry is important. And the third A level is any of your choice. Essentially, I need to get 3As in my A levels, including Biology and Chemistry and another A level of my choice, except Critical Thinking.
if it isnt required then maybe you should go with a subject you're confident with. seeing that you got a B in gcse maths, you might find a levels maths difficult, especially at A2
mortal infinity
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
For AS I took bio and chem without maths. People who take maths are generally better at mental maths calculations which aren't really necessary in bio or chem as you have to show your working out.
JustaThinker
Rep:
?
(Original post by mortal infinity)
For AS I took bio and chem without maths. People who take maths are generally better at mental maths calculations which aren't really necessary in bio or chem as you have to show your working out.
Are you planning on taking A level Biology and Chemistry to A2 without A level Maths?
mortal infinity
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Are you planning on taking A level Biology and Chemistry to A2 without A level Maths?
Yes. Not doing AS maths didn't hold me back at all (A in both)
JustaThinker
Rep:
?
(Original post by mortal infinity)
Yes. Not doing AS maths didn't hold me back at all (A in both)
Oh. So you finished AS Biology and Chemistry without A level Maths. When did you take the exams? And may I ask what is your aspiration in life? If that's not too intrusive.

Thanks for the reply.
Anam
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Does anyone on here who did Aqa AS biology know what the overall ums mark was for a B for this years results? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Mar '19
  • Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (100)
16.81%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (63)
10.59%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (105)
17.65%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (90)
15.13%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (59)
9.92%
How can I be the best version of myself? (178)
29.92%

Watched Threads