Dance40
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I really need to make a decision between Leeds or Newcastle and I would really appreciate some advice please!

Should you go for the University/City experience or for the course and 'grow' to love the City? I've visited Newcastle a few times and Leeds only once in the holidays and I didn't get the 'true experience' maybe?
I originally wanted to do straight Psychology but Newcastle can only offer combined Psychology/Sociology due to the course I've taken. I wondered if anyone is studying Psychology at either and could possibly help please? Which Uni would look better on my CV and I've heard Newcastle is harder to get a first?

Newcastle Pro's:
I like the city and the feel of the place, everyone seems really friendly and welcoming.
Campus, it's central and open. I know the City quite well now and feel comfortable there.
Student Support is great., course offers a student mentor scheme and has a 97% student satisfaction (is this v.important?)
Cons:
Course is slightly different to what I originally wanted to do, it offers a mix of two subjects (I've not studied Sociology before and I'm not very confident about it because of this).
3rd year modules aren't as varied as Leeds for Psychology and I didn't find the Open days talk as interesting as other Unis (but I haven't been to Leeds talk!)

Leeds Pro's:
Busy City, Central campus with Accommodation for 1st year also.
Good Psychology course, 3rd year modules are varied and have a stronger aim to my interests. Respected University
Cons:
Don't know Leeds as well as Newcastle, Campus isn't as close-knit.
Doesn't have as high % in Satisfaction or Support for Psychology.

Thanks.
iammichealjackson
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Dance40)
I really need to make a decision between Leeds or Newcastle and I would really appreciate some advice please!

Should you go for the University/City experience or for the course and 'grow' to love the City? I've visited Newcastle a few times and Leeds only once in the holidays and I didn't get the 'true experience' maybe?
I originally wanted to do straight Psychology but Newcastle can only offer combined Psychology/Sociology due to the course I've taken. I wondered if anyone is studying Psychology at either and could possibly help please? Which Uni would look better on my CV and I've heard Newcastle is harder to get a first?

Newcastle Pro's:
I like the city and the feel of the place, everyone seems really friendly and welcoming.
Campus, it's central and open. I know the City quite well now and feel comfortable there.
Student Support is great., course offers a student mentor scheme and has a 97% student satisfaction (is this v.important?)
Cons:
Course is slightly different to what I originally wanted to do, it offers a mix of two subjects (I've not studied Sociology before and I'm not very confident about it because of this).
3rd year modules aren't as varied as Leeds for Psychology and I didn't find the Open days talk as interesting as other Unis (but I haven't been to Leeds talk!)

Leeds Pro's:
Busy City, Central campus with Accommodation for 1st year also.
Good Psychology course, 3rd year modules are varied and have a stronger aim to my interests. Respected University
Cons:
Don't know Leeds as well as Newcastle, Campus isn't as close-knit.
Doesn't have as high % in Satisfaction or Support for Psychology.

Thanks.
I'd pick leeds. If you don't want to do sociology then its not worth picking newcaslte just because it has a slightly higher student satisfaction rate. Even if the student satisfaction rate is on average higher, you will be less happy there if you have to do modules in courses your not that keen on. Also, i can't see online any psychology/sociology course for newcastle? Most of the psychology department in newc are from the institute of neuroscience so it seems strange that they would offer it.
Cupcake16
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It would be a Combined Honours course, I just wondered what Uni has the better reputation as a graduate?

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19
  • Brunel University London
    Sat, 26 Oct '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Sat, 26 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (102)
24.34%
No (317)
75.66%

Watched Threads