The Student Room Group

GCSE Maths Foundation/Higher Tier Maths

Hi basically my situation is i had a very interrupted education, i ended up leaving school and being home tutored for a while and not actually sitting any of my GCSE's.

So now i'm hoping to do 5 GCSE's over 2 years, i'm 19 i was hoping to do English, Biology IGCSE and maths at a local college but it's foundation you can only get a C. I need a grade B in maths. I'm wandering whether to do the GCSE get a C then next year do a higher tier maths course that i've seen at another college and get a A or B. But in the eyes of university's would this count as a resit as some of the university courses i'm looking at do not accept resits, i want to keep my options open.

I'm wandering whether to do this or just do a IGCSE distance learning and have the chance to get a A or B without doing a foundation maths for a year then higher tier..

I do feel somewhat that i would benefit from doing maths foundation and then higher tier as maths is generally my weak point, but i also think i could do the 2 GCSE's i'm doing this year anyway revise maths as well throughout the year and then next year just do a IGCSE and get a B.

Can anyone give me some advice? if doing foundation and then higher tier is going to count as a resit then ideally i'd rather just do the IGCSE.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Dantheman212
Hi basically my situation is i had a very interrupted education, i ended up leaving school and being home tutored for a while and not actually sitting any of my GCSE's.

So now i'm hoping to do 5 GCSE's over 2 years, i'm 19 i was hoping to do English, Biology IGCSE and maths at a local college but it's foundation you can only get a C. I need a grade B in maths. I'm wandering whether to do the GCSE get a C then next year do a higher tier maths course that i've seen at another college and get a A or B. But in the eyes of university's would this count as a resit as some of the university courses i'm looking at do not accept resits, i want to keep my options open.

I'm wandering whether to do this or just do a IGCSE distance learning and have the chance to get a A or B without doing a foundation maths for a year then higher tier..

I do feel somewhat that i would benefit from doing maths foundation and then higher tier as maths is generally my weak point, but i also think i could do the 2 GCSE's i'm doing this year anyway revise maths as well throughout the year and then next year just do a IGCSE and get a B.

Can anyone give me some advice? if doing foundation and then higher tier is going to count as a resit then ideally i'd rather just do the IGCSE.

Don't worry about it.
Do foundation and if you get your C then move on to higher tier.
What university has a problem with GCSE resits? They will consider your personal circumstances when they assess your educational achievements.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by gdunne42
Don't worry about it.
Do foundation and if you get your C then move on to higher tier.
What university has a problem with GCSE resits? They will consider your personal circumstances when they assess your educational achievements.

Posted from TSR Mobile

There's a few but not many to be honest, thanks for your advice, so you think it would probably be a bad idea going straight to IGCSE? i think i'd benefit from doing the C then B but still cant decide. Also i've heard that the foundation paper is harder as you have to get 90% to get a C but on the higher tier only 45% to get a C ??? surely cant be right...
(edited 8 years ago)
There's a few but not many to be honest, thanks for your advice, so you think it would probably be a bad idea going straight to IGCSE? i think i'd benefit from doing the C then B but still cant decide. Also i've heard that the foundation paper is harder as you have to get 90% to get a C but on the higher tier only 45% to get a C ??? surely cant be right...

You have to do well in foundation tier for a C (but not 90%). That's because it only tests the easy topics. It's very important therefore to avoid errors.
You need a lower mark on higher tier for a C ( but not as much as 45%) because it tests the harder topics.
If you have studied for higher tier and mastered some of the topics, a C on higher might be easier than foundation. If you have not yet studied them or are struggling with them then foundation may be the best choice.
Try some past higher papers, see how you do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by gdunne42
You have to do well in foundation tier for a C (but not 90%). That's because it only tests the easy topics. It's very important therefore to avoid errors.
You need a lower mark on higher tier for a C ( but not as much as 45%) because it tests the harder topics.
If you have studied for higher tier and mastered some of the topics, a C on higher might be easier than foundation. If you have not yet studied them or are struggling with them then foundation may be the best choice.
Try some past higher papers, see how you do.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for your response basically i'm at the point where i would be doing the higher paper i think normally but the only reason i'm not is because the local college only does foundation. So i really need to decide today whether or not i should just do IGCSE maths and have the chance to get a B first time. Or do foundation and higher tier at another college, i think i would benefit due to the extra learning but i don't think it's actually necessary.

I could revise this year and do IGCSE next year and i'm confident i'd get a B or i could do maths foundation then higher tier and risk having less options as this may count as a resit?.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
I come from a similar situation to you in that my academic background is pretty unconventional and I didn't do any GCSEs as I went to high school abroad.

If you know that you are capable of doing the higher paper, then I'd say you're better off just doing that. I did GCSE maths and English in 1 year during my 1st year of a BTEC level 3 in applied science and I got A*s in both. My college was hesitant to put me in for the higher as I'd never done GCSEs before so they put me in for the foundation at the start of the year; fast forward 2 lessons later and I was swapped to do the higher paper because I was finding the foundation far too easy which they immediately noticed.

I know you said the college you're at only does foundation but I'm sure there are other colleges in the area that offers the higher paper?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
I'd also like to add that if you're applying to uni next year for the 17/18 cycle and need a B it's better for you to just take the higher paper now, especially if you know that you're able to get it as it's better for you to apply having the grade that you need rather than applying with a C which may be lower than the entry requirements.

Even if you get a C in the higher you can retake it the next year with the experience of having sat the higher paper.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by goodwinning
I'd also like to add that if you're applying to uni next year for the 17/18 cycle and need a B it's better for you to just take the higher paper now, especially if you know that you're able to get it as it's better for you to apply having the grade that you need rather than applying with a C which may be lower than the entry requirements.

Even if you get a C in the higher you can retake it the next year with the experience of having sat the higher paper.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks a lot for your help, I'm probably going to do A levels or an access course after, basically i don't have enough time to do a higher at another college as all the courses have started also as a requirement you tend to already need to have a C in the foundation.Or I could do the IGCSE, I think i'm capable of just sitting the higher/IGCSE first time and if i don't get a B and i have to sit it again, i'll be in the same situation as if i do the foundation and then the higher anyway?. I'm so indecisive :frown:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
Thanks a lot for your help, I'm probably going to do A levels or an access course after, basically i don't have enough time to do a higher at another college as all the courses have started also as a requirement you tend to already need to have a C in the foundation. I could do the IGCSE, I think i'm capable of just sitting the higher/IGCSE first time and if i don't get a B and i have to sit it again, i'll be in the same situation as if i do the foundation and then the higher anyway.

I wasn't put in for the higher until 1st week of October the other year. And there was still new people joining the class and enrolling into the 3rd week of October. No one ever told me about the grade C requirement before and I didn't have a grade C or equivalent when I did it. I was just very insistent that I could do it and I backed it up with the work in lessons.

Tbh, I think it's a waste of time doing a foundation in your case as you seem like you'd be capable of doing the higher but I suppose if you've truly exhausted all options then I guess you'll just have to.

And trust me, it isn't hard to get a B at GCSE maths. Just make sure you listen in lessons and keep up with the work, revise for a bit before exams and you'll get it. That's how I got an A* on my first attempt.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest