Three or four AS levels with Extended project?

Watch
RickyMaz
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
So here's my situation: I'm currently in year 12 and I've chosen Maths, Further maths, Physics, Geography and EPQ for AS. My intentions were to drop geography next year and carry on with maths, further maths and physics at a level, but at the moment I'm finding geography very dull and I have no motivation to study it. I got A* for it at GCSE so it's not an issue of it being too hard.

I feel as though if I dropped it I could spend more time on my other subjects, and I don't want to overload myself in addition to my extracurricular commitments.
I don't know whether to drop geography now or carry on with it as I originally intended, because I'd like to study aerospace engineering at a Redbrick Uni so I don't want to lessen my chances by taking 3 AS levels and epq instead of 4 and epq.

Any help would be appreciated as I really don't know what to do!
Plagioclase
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by RickyMaz)
So here's my situation: I'm currently in year 12 and I've chosen Maths, Further maths, Physics, Geography and EPQ for AS. My intentions were to drop geography next year and carry on with maths, further maths and physics at a level, but at the moment I'm finding geography very dull and I have no motivation to study it. I got A* for it at GCSE so it's not an issue of it being too hard.

I feel as though if I dropped it I could spend more time on my other subjects, and I don't want to overload myself in addition to my extracurricular commitments.
I don't know whether to drop geography now or carry on with it as I originally intended, because I'd like to study aerospace engineering at a Redbrick Uni so I don't want to lessen my chances by taking 3 AS levels and epq instead of 4 and epq.

Any help would be appreciated as I really don't know what to do!
An EPQ is not a replacement for an AS. Whilst the EPQ is definitely worth doing, it's never going to be a part of any offer you get* and it isn't really regarded as an AS-equivalent by anybody. When people take the EPQ, they generally take it as an "addition" to their subjects rather than replacing a subject. The problem with only taking 3 AS Levels is that if you end up failing one of your subjects or you realise you hate it, you can't drop it, because you have to take them all to A2. Taking 4 AS subjects gives you the safety net of being able to drop something and having the choice of what you drop. If the workload is too much, it is better to drop the EPQ than Geography. If you really hate Geography, try and swap it with something else if at all possible. Dropping Geography and only going forward with 3 AS subjects should only be a last resort and as I say, it's a risk. I don't think it would harm your application too much (although you wouldn't be able to apply to UCL) but I still don't recommend you do it.

*a couple of universities give out alternative easier offers if you get an A in your EPQ but this really does only affect a couple.
RickyMaz
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Thank you for your reply
I get what you mean about taking 4 AS subjects as a safety net, but I'm 100% sure that I want to carry on with maths, further maths and physics at A2.

I was considering swapping geography for product design, but as I said, my main motive for wanting to continue with only 3 AS levels was so that I could allocate my time to my other subjects (which are essential for what I want to do at university). And I've heard the workload for PD is greater than that for geography. Also I'm really interested in my EPQ topic, and Bath requires a "relevant" EPQ for their aerospace engineering course, so I don't want to drop that.

Basically I don't if geography is an unnecessary subject to take or whether I should stick with it and persevere for the sake of having 4 AS levels.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (64)
21.99%
Excited but a bit nervous (132)
45.36%
Not bothered either way (36)
12.37%
I'm really nervous (59)
20.27%

Watched Threads