The Student Room Group

A gap year before studying fashion

Hello,
I'm hoping to study fashion in London and normally I would be going next year after my A levels, however I feel like I'm too young to be going to London yet! I also feel like I don't have enough fashion experience so I was thinking that maybe I could wait a year, gain some retail and business experience and save up. Is it worth it? Is there any other fashion students that could give me any advice on getting experience etc please?
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in Tank Girl now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

Spoiler

Original post by nicole1000
Hello,
I'm hoping to study fashion in London and normally I would be going next year after my A levels, however I feel like I'm too young to be going to London yet! I also feel like I don't have enough fashion experience so I was thinking that maybe I could wait a year, gain some retail and business experience and save up. Is it worth it? Is there any other fashion students that could give me any advice on getting experience etc please?

Hey!

I took three gap years to work and travel and it really helped me to mature and gain valuable life experience! I would say a gap year is good idea and a perfect opportunity to get more experience of the fashion industry, which can only be a useful thing in such a competitive industry. The money you save would also be so handy, as living in London can be very expensive! Maybe make a UCAS application to go to London straight away but when you have finished your exams, see how you feel then and if you feel ready go for it, but if not, see if you can defer your place! Thats what I did!
Good luck!
Reply 3
Hello! I've been told to apply now but for a deferred entry so I think I'm going to do that, thank you!!!

Quick Reply