Geography or Mathematics at university

Watch
Syncronisation
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hello,

I really want to apply to do Maths at university. However, I don't have A levels in Further Maths, Physics or Chemistry, therefore meaning I can only apply to a select few Russel Group unis.

However, I'm open to doing a Geography degree - I enjoy the subject - however I'm concerned about the job prospects. Nevertheless, if I chose Geography I could apply to the top unis.

My A levels were:

- Mathematics A*
- Geography A*
- History A*

With an AS in Economics at grade D.

I'm currently doing a gap year and so hope to apply later next month.

Thanks for your time, I appreciate it
hihihihihi
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
What can you do with a geography degree? I would rather do mathematics.
hhattiecc
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Don't close maths off as an option. If you were unable to take it (as opposed to chose not to take it) as your establishment didn't offer it, then very good unis will not say no. UCL for example doesn't require further, but that's a very good uni to study at for maths. Only apply for maths though if you're willing to do something mathematical during your gap year, either to retain the knowledge you have already or make up for the lack of further maths (which most will probably expect of you to be honest). If you feel you could do STEP then this also helps with the problem of not having further maths, as you'll sit it at the end of the academic year so it will show your mathematical thinking after you've had nearly a year out.
Best advice though would be to choose what you have a genuine interest in, which is sometimes more than just enjoying it at a level. What excites you?Or maybe you could try and find a degree that incorporates both?
Syncronisation
Rep:
?
(Original post by hhattiecc)
Don't close maths off as an option. If you were unable to take it (as opposed to chose not to take it) as your establishment didn't offer it, then very good unis will not say no. UCL for example doesn't require further, but that's a very good uni to study at for maths. Only apply for maths though if you're willing to do something mathematical during your gap year, either to retain the knowledge you have already or make up for the lack of further maths (which most will probably expect of you to be honest). If you feel you could do STEP then this also helps with the problem of not having further maths, as you'll sit it at the end of the academic year so it will show your mathematical thinking after you've had nearly a year out.
Best advice though would be to choose what you have a genuine interest in, which is sometimes more than just enjoying it at a level. What excites you?Or maybe you could try and find a degree that incorporates both?
UCL require an A* in Mathematics and Further Mathematics if STEP isn't offered. They still require an A in Further Mathematics even with STEP achievement. I'm open to doing AS/ A level Further Maths during my gap year; I'll look more into doing the STEP.

My college did offer Further Maths to A2 however I chose not to do it, giving me no consolation.

Geography excites me more; I naturally prefer social sciences. I would do Economics however my D at AS will look ridiculous.

Thanks for your help
Syncronisation
Rep:
?
(Original post by hihihihihi)
What can you do with a geography degree? I would rather do mathematics.
I don't want to go into a field relevant to my degree. I'm open to doing a Mathematics/ Geography degree and then going into an industry like retail or accounting.

Geography also boasts some of the highest employment ratios of all the degrees offered. However, I acknowledge demand for Mathematicians is much greater than that for Geographers.
Kevin De Bruyne
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Syncronisation)
Hello,

I really want to apply to do Maths at university. However, I don't have A levels in Further Maths, Physics or Chemistry, therefore meaning I can only apply to a select few Russel Group unis.

However, I'm open to doing a Geography degree - I enjoy the subject - however I'm concerned about the job prospects. Nevertheless, if I chose Geography I could apply to the top unis.

My A levels were:

- Mathematics A*
- Geography A*
- History A*

With an AS in Economics at grade D.

I'm currently doing a gap year and so hope to apply later next month.

Thanks for your time, I appreciate it
There's the option of doing FM in a year.
Snufkin
Badges: 21
Report 5 years ago
I know Durham lets you combine maths and geography in their Natural Sciences degree (but you need an AS in Further Maths). Or you could do a completely new subject which includes elements of geography and maths, geophysics for example.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (32)
15.24%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (64)
30.48%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (25)
11.9%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (18)
8.57%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (12)
5.71%
I think it's an unfair expectation (56)
26.67%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.43%

Watched Threads