The Student Room Group

language studies in Dundee and Aberdeen

chose two offers that i want to accept but can't make up my mind: english&german at the university of dundee and german&hispanic studies at the university of aberdeen. it would be great if you could help me make the final decision.
think the most important things for me are:
- the courses
- the accommodation (rather self-catered)
- the cities in general, especially job opportunities as i don't intend to ask my parents for money, would like to earn it myself, maybe also the weather :wink:
- any other information would also be helpful cause i really can't choose between those two..
Reply 1
The accomodation at Dundee is all self-catered now. I doubt the courses are taught in any dramatically different manner. Both cities contend to be Scotland's sunniest, no there's not much difference in that department. Both will likely have plenty of jobs going.
Aberdeen is very cold! and it can often rain but when the sun comes out it can be glorious! Plenty of jobs for students, everywhere you go. can probably find something to suit every taste. Aberdeen is a bit bigger city than Dundee.

Dundee - only been there a few times and driven through it a lot. Rumoured to be approaching Glaswegian proportions for neds these days. Seems like a nice place other than that, apparently its quite cultural.

Depends exactly what you are looking for from a university
Reply 3
Aye, we'ur pure hoachin' wi' the kultur, know?

*sniff*
Reply 4
esu
OP
luckily there are scottish dictionaries on the web.. understood :wink:

it's just the way i thought :/ still a difficult choice..

ok.i have two more questions then if you are patient enough to answer again :smile:

what's humidity and rain like during the whole year there?
heard that all rooms in Dundee have wireless internet.what about aberdeen? know that you've already talked about that but would like the most current information.
Reply 5
Humidity? Hmm... not any sort of problem. Rain - it doesn't rain much on the east coast, far less than on the west anyway. But it's Britain, so it does happen now and again...
Reply 6
esu
OP
the question about humidity sounds weird now but its kind of important for me personally, that's why i asked :smile:
hmm.. think it might be aberdeen.never been there.maybe this could be the reason to choose this city :wink:
anyway, thanks a lot
why dont you contact the uni and see if they can give you a look round? its definitelyworth visiting the city and there is a growing polish population
Reply 8
esu
OP
a growing polish population has never been a reason for me to choose where to go, sometimes rather where not to go. but as far as i know you can meet the polish almost everywhere in scotland now
visiting the university won't help me - i'm sure i will like it.
counting on students' opinions:smile:
Reply 9
esu
visiting the university won't help me - i'm sure i will like it.

Hmm... it's the only real way to know if the town and university suits you personally.
well tell us what you want from a town and we can tell you if thats what Aberdeen and dundee have to offer
Reply 11
esu
OP
thanks for your help:smile:

aberdeen - it's already been decided :wink:
Tough luck, If you had decided on Dundee I might have helped you with the German :biggrin:

anyway, enjoy Aberdeen, I considered it as well
Reply 13
esu
OP
you mean the language? well, think i'll be fine, although my spoken german isn't good. i've already had german at the uni for two years :wink:
and thanks, i will enjoy aberdeen - that's why i'm going there :smile:
dundee seems to be nice as well.you will enjoy it for sure:smile:

Latest