Want to learn Russian, but not offered as a course - good resources?

Watch
Mactotaur
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I want to learn Russian and so far I've learned the alphabet and a few words and phrases. I remember doing French GCSE and using resources like Kerboodle which were useful, however I don't think they offer Russian.

What are some useful resources for teaching myself? I can practice on Skype, I found a chat for people learning Russian.
Asolare
Badges: 20
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
I believe Russian is available on Duolingo which is a good ground to get started off in. Oh apologies I've just checked and the course isn't ready for about another week: https://www.duolingo.com/course/ru/e...Russian-Online

Your local library /might/ probably have some books on learning Russian, so flicking through some of those and seeing any that grab your eye could be useful (if you want to purchase your own copy). From a quick browse this site: http://learnrussian.rt.com seems like a good place to get grounding also.

And to chuck this out there, you could consider using InterPals(.net) and finding someone who speaks Russian on there.

Only other things I can recommend are to listen to songs, watch tv shows/films, read books etc. in the language and get a feel for it + Skype would be fantastic also.

I admire you for taking on Russian, from what I understand its grammar system is somehow even more difficult than German
Mactotaur
Rep:
(Original post by Inexorably)
I believe Russian is available on Duolingo which is a good ground to get started off in. Oh apologies I've just checked and the course isn't ready for about another week: https://www.duolingo.com/course/ru/e...Russian-Online

Your local library /might/ probably have some books on learning Russian, so flicking through some of those and seeing any that grab your eye could be useful (if you want to purchase your own copy). From a quick browse this site: http://learnrussian.rt.com seems like a good place to get grounding also.

And to chuck this out there, you could consider using InterPals(.net) and finding someone who speaks Russian on there.

Only other things I can recommend are to listen to songs, watch tv shows/films, read books etc. in the language and get a feel for it + Skype would be fantastic also.

I admire you for taking on Russian, from what I understand its grammar system is somehow even more difficult than German
Thank you!

I did German for a couple of years, lots of people seemed to find it easier than French (the alternative). I wasn't one of them,
Asolare
Badges: 20
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Mactotaur)
Thank you!

I did German for a couple of years, lots of people seemed to find it easier than French (the alternative). I wasn't one of them,
I always found it more enjoyable than French in school, but when I got to the difficult grammar stuff then I started to think differently
username917703
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Michel Thomas Russian. Type that into Amazon, it's an audio course, I used it for Spanish and it is superb.
El.Guapo
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Kak dela?

www.russianforfree.com
Mactotaur
Rep:
(Original post by El.Guapo)
Kak dela?

www.russianforfree.com
Khorosho, spasibo.
L'Evil Fish
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Inexorably)
Can't wait for this

And there are 1/2 more cases in Russian. I think, instrumental is one,not sure of the other. Propositional is the other!

Thing that puts me off is learning vocabulary... Like Arabic too just stalled because of learning words.

OP:
I'd say Google

'Russian Grammar free online (pdf) '

And you should get some good links, I'll have a look now.

http://masterrussian.com/blprevious.shtml

Then just Google '100 most used Russian nouns'

L'Evil Fish
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Wilfred Little)
Michel Thomas Russian. Type that into Amazon, it's an audio course, I used it for Spanish and it is superb.
How long have you been using it for? How well do you think you can speak it?

¿Si hablaba en español, pienses que me entenderás?

I've never really thought about an audio course, I bought one in Mandarin, but got bored as there was no grammar, just random conversation.
The Warsmith
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by L'Evil Fish)
Can't wait for this

And there are 1/2 more cases in Russian. I think, instrumental is one,not sure of the other.

Thing that puts me off is learning vocabulary... Like Arabic too just stalled because of learning words.

OP:
I'd say Google

'Russian Grammar free online (pdf) '

And you should get some good links, I'll have a look now.

Then just Google '100 most used Russian nouns'

I learned Russian as my second language Fish. It's really not that hard.
L'Evil Fish
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Ser Alex Toyne)
I learned Russian as my second language Fish. It's really not that hard.
Okay...?

Never going to use it though so what's the point in me learning it properly. I wouldn't mind just doing some duolingo, but not gonna go into it lots only to never use it.

It would just to be to see how it all works and stuff.
username917703
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
How long have you been using it for? How well do you think you can speak it?

¿Si hablaba en español, pienses que me entenderás?

I've never really thought about an audio course, I bought one in Mandarin, but got bored as there was no grammar, just random conversation.
This was in 2012 and I finished it in about a month I think. It teaches you how the language works but you need other things like Duolingo, music, books and so on to expand your vocab imo.

I understand a lot of written stuff and verbally can get my point across but vocabulary is limited, grammar could do with some work, you just asked something to do with speaking in Spanish and do I understand you.

I feel like I haven't been putting enough effort in though, feel like I could do a lot better.

EDIT - seconded on InterPals, the Spanish speakers I talk with on there though, their English is better than my Spanish so we end up just talking in English.
L'Evil Fish
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
This was in 2012 and I finished it in about a month I think. It teaches you how the language works but you need other things like Duolingo, music, books and so on to expand your vocab imo.

I understand a lot of written stuff and verbally can get my point across but vocabulary is limited, grammar could do with some work, you just asked something to do with speaking in Spanish and do I understand you.

I feel like I haven't been putting enough effort in though, feel like I could do a lot better.

EDIT - seconded on InterPals, the Spanish speakers I talk with on there though, their English is better than my Spanish so we end up just talking in English.
I'd have thought the only thing it'd be useful for would be vocab!

Yeah I said 'If I spoke in Spanish, would you be able to understand me?'

I know what you mean about putting effort in, it's very rewarding though I imagine when it eventually pays off.
username917703
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
I'd have thought the only thing it'd be useful for would be vocab!
Na, that's not how it works. You will be able to construct sentences really quickly and understand the flow of the language. That's basically the whole focus of it, constructing sentences and getting a grasp of the language, not learning words and how to spell if that makes sense.

Yeah I said 'If I spoke in Spanish, would you be able to understand me?'

I know what you mean about putting effort in, it's very rewarding though I imagine when it eventually pays off.
How did you learn it mate?
L'Evil Fish
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Na, that's not how it works. You will be able to construct sentences really quickly and understand the flow of the language. That's basically the whole focus of it, constructing sentences and getting a grasp of the language, not learning words and how to spell if that makes sense.

How did you learn it mate?
Aaah I see, that's probably why I really didn't like the Mandarin one. I'm more of a, learn why things work, so I can do it myself.

Whenever I learn a new language I always do:

Indefinite and definite articles
Personal subject pronouns
Present tense and irregular verbs
adjectives
Negative sentences
Past Perfect/Imperfect
Future
Conditional
Etc (just the tenses)
subjunctive
How to ask questions
Indirect and direct object pronouns
Relative pronouns

(That's all there is to it actually, like if you know the above, you can practically say anything you want, there might be a few more grammar snippets but nothing major I don't think)

And then I try and make my own sentences in my head, if I don't know a word, I use word reference to learn it. But you need some vocabulary to actually make sentences, so atm I'm going through this https://quizlet.com/28666833/flashcards, found it yesterday

Using Google, there are so many youtube videos though now, I'll try finding a nice Spanish one for you if you want.

I've not used a play list for Spanish, but this looks like it has all the topics:

Spanish grammar / Gramática en acción: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5719D69EE7A3BF54
atsruser
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
I want to learn Russian and so far I've learned the alphabet and a few words and phrases. I remember doing French GCSE and using resources like Kerboodle which were useful, however I don't think they offer Russian.

What are some useful resources for teaching myself? I can practice on Skype, I found a chat for people learning Russian.
Well, if "resources" includes books that you have to pay for, then I would recommend "The New Penguin Russian Course" if you want a structured course that covers most of the grammar that you'll need:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-New-Peng.../dp/0140120416
Mactotaur
Rep:
(Original post by atsruser)
Well, if "resources" includes books that you have to pay for, then I would recommend "The New Penguin Russian Course" if you want a structured course that covers most of the grammar that you'll need:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-New-Peng.../dp/0140120416
Thanks! I'll wait and see if it goes down in price at all, but I might just spend the £9.
atsruser
Rep:
Report 6 years ago

If you want to listen to real spoken Russian, I would recommend that you download the podcasts from:

http://russianpodcast.eu/

These are quite remarkable from a pedagogical point of view. They are recorded in Russian by a native, Tatiana Klimova, who sticks to the same format each time: a brief invented scenario about some topic, usually in the form of a conversation, followed by Tatiana's explanation of the various tricky words that were used.

Even though she uses nothing but Russian, it's very easy to gradually pick up the vocab, due to the repetition. and to become used to listening to the the language - she speaks fairly slowly and clearly. I have learnt huge amounts of vocab. purely by listening to these - I usually listen when I'm lying in bed at night (insomnia has at least one benefit).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (106)
34.3%
Yes - a trusted person (88)
28.48%
No (82)
26.54%
I'm not sure (33)
10.68%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed