The Student Room Group

FP1 Constructing Route Map

I have given to me a matrix of:
A B C D
A 0 2 0 0
B 2 0 1 0
C 0 1 0 2
D 0 0 2 0

I am told to construct a corresponding route map..
Any help would be appreciated..
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Adeel Ali
I have given to me a matrix of:
A B C D
A 0 2 0 0
B 2 0 1 0
C 0 1 0 2
D 0 0 2 0

I am told to construct a corresponding route map..
Any help would be appreciated..

If A, B, C, D are representing locations then I would suggest that your matrix is representing the distances between them. So draw a map with points A, B, C, D and connect them with lines which have length corresponding to the value in the relevant column and row in the matrix. For example the distance between A and B would be the value in the B column of row A (or the A column of row B).
Have you studied D1 out of interest?
Reply 3
Original post by 16Characters....
Have you studied D1 out of interest?

Started it. This is FP1 though..
Started it. This is FP1 though..

Yes I know it is FP1 the title of the thread gives it away :-) But that matrix is a distance matrix for a network, which you will come across in D1 (for MEI anyway).
Reply 5
Yes I know it is FP1 the title of the thread gives it away :-) But that matrix is a distance matrix for a network, which you will come across in D1 (for MEI anyway).

Yeah. I am with MEI..
If you could help me further, I have made four points (ABCD) and drew a path between B and C. I don't know how to get from A-->B as it has a pathway of two and doesn't go through any other points?
Yeah. I am with MEI..
If you could help me further, I have made four points (ABCD) and drew a path between B and C. I don't know how to get from A-->B as it has a pathway of two and doesn't go through any other points?

You can get from A-->B simply by drawing a line of 2 between A and B. The elements of the distance matrix (or table as MEI refer to it in D1) represent the length of the arcs connecting two points. So each element of the matrix is representing a different arc. Hence all you have to do is draw your 4 points A B C D and connect them using the correct arcs as listed in the matrix.
Reply 7
You can get from A-->B simply by drawing a line of 2 between A and B. The elements of the distance matrix (or table as MEI refer to it in D1) represent the length of the arcs connecting two points. So each element of the matrix is representing a different arc. Hence all you have to do is draw your 4 points A B C D and connect them using the correct arcs as listed in the matrix.

Oh right! Thank you very much! We haven't really been taught any of this so I am sort of self studying! Thank you :wink:
Oh right! Thank you very much! We haven't really been taught any of this so I am sort of self studying! Thank you :wink:

What is the full question out of interest? Is this from the Exercise 1 on the Integral website?

If so, I have made a mistake in assuming the matrix was a distance table. It is not. It represents the number of arcs connecting two nodes. So for example the B row in the A column has a number 2 so there are two arcs connecting A and B.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
What is the full question out of interest? Is this from the Exercise 1 on the Integral website?

Could you post the answer so I can see if I got it right?

2. From the following 'direct route matrix' construct a corresponding route map...

Then the matrix in the OP.
Could you post the answer so I can see if I got it right?

2. From the following 'direct route matrix' construct a corresponding route map...

Then the matrix in the OP.

If it is a direct route matrix then the elements represent the number of arcs connecting nodes as I said in my last post. Have you corrected my mistake before I post the correct answer?
Reply 11
If it is a direct route matrix then the elements represent the number of arcs connecting nodes as I said in my last post. Have you corrected my mistake before I post the correct answer?

I think so, although I won't know for sure until you post it.. I think working backwards will help a bit..
Network attached @Adeel Ali
Reply 13
Network attached @Adeel Ali

Haha! Thanks man! I was going wrong in the way of I didn't realise that each path was a '1' and I just labelled one path two.
Appreciate it buddy!
Haha! Thanks man! I was going wrong in the way of I didn't realise that each path was a '1' and I just labelled one path two.
Appreciate it buddy!

The lengths of the arcs are irrelevant so no need to label them. You do not even know the lengths as they were not listed anywhere. The matrix was listing the number of arcs not their length like I first told you so sorry for assuming that the matrix was a distance table rather than checking, made this seem harder than it had to be.

Enjoy FP1, it's a lovely module.
Which exam board is this? We did nothing like this in our FP1 :lol:
Original post by Alexion
Which exam board is this? We did nothing like this in our FP1 :lol:

MEI. And it never comes up in exams, it was just in the first one or two exercises as an introduction to matrices rather than throwing them into transformations immediately.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending